1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Decent Laptop for daughter for uni

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 13 Apr 2016.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughter is going to uni in September and she wants a fairly decent laptop to take.

Ideally it would be great if it could play some lower end games like left for dead 2 etc.

I've don't know much about cheaper laptops graphical abilities and whether this is even possible at around the £300-400 mark.

She will be taking our mini lan pc with her with has a I5 2400S and an AMD 270 gpu so that will more than do her for gaming if laptops at her price range aren't capable.

So anyone got any ideas?

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'm at work :eyebrow: so I haven't checked the details but going by past experience I'd say your best bet would be something with an AMD APU.

HP are the main ones supplying those, and there's usually a few to choose from. There's also some Toshiba ones out there - I got one for my Father-in-Law, although his needs are very basic so I've not checked the gaming element of it.

Failing that, a second hand unit with a separate GPU might fit the bill, although if warranty is a priority this won't be an option. I bought a unit like that a couple of years ago quite cheaply. Only half the screen works on it now though, but at least I can repackage it into an HTPC (especially as it has an RF input). If she is going to be using it for uni she will not be pleased if it suddenly stops working half way through term!

3. stephen0205

stephen0205 Modder

a macbook.

Yes that was a joke lol

4. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

Was in a similar situation myself last year after the daughter saved £350 and wanted a new 'gaming' laptop. Ended up going for a Clevo Z50-75 with the FX-7500 APU- it's actually fairly capable. She uses it mainly for Minecraft, but it will play Skyrim with some settings tweaked and is more than capable of source engine games even at native res, 1920 x 1080.

For the £350 we paid I was generally impressed with the spec- 8gb, 1920x1080 screen, 1tb HDD. On the negative side the build quality isn't the best, there is flex in the chassis and the keyboard is pretty horrible- but there are always compromises at that price point.

Sadly, systems with that APU seem pretty hard to come by.