1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Decent Racer for PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 24 May 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Looking for a race game similar to Forza or GT. Really liked Forza 2 and played lots of it. It was a good racing sim. How do you get involved in project CARS. That looks very good. Any other suggestions that offer similar experience to forza or GT? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    William

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Closest I've found to those is Need For Speed: Shift 2.

Project CARS is good (and quite closely related to Shift 2), but not like GT or Forza yet.

There's also a ream of proper simulators, but again, not in the style of GT. After trying to find something akin to those on PC for several years, I rebought a PS3 just for GT5...

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've been thinking this for a while too - I need a decent racing game for my PC. The DiRT series isn't racing any more (was it ever?), so tend to play GT5 on the PS3.

The F1 games are a bit of a laugh, otherwise?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

GRID?

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Nfs Shift 2. Invest some time tinkering with the advamced co trolls to get it feeling right, and the game will reward you with glorious racing in flame spitting GT spec vehicles (to name just one class)

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Sim raceway is pretty good, well worth the download (FTP)

7. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Dirt 3 is actually a lot of fun. Works well on wheel and pedals, no lag. 3d Vision and track IR support in cockpit. Very good actually.

Shift 2 is actually a lot of fun. Just a shame most people can't drift properly with it. I've tried.

F1 2011 is also good with 3d vision and lag free steering.

You won't get involved in Project Cars at the moment because they're under investigation concerning the amount of money taken thus far and whether it's advertised as an investment. They won't be able to accept any new signups until the FSA completes checks on the company.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?11989-WMD-Membership-Upgrades-Closed

I signed up before the investigation and it's actually very responsive to drive. Some of the same devs from Shift 2 but Project cars doesn't have the lag on the wheel.

8. total zombie

total zombie New Member

ive been playing shift 2 lately its good fun, not that realistic but good if you can get it for a low price, rally games i really enjoyed WRC 2, cheap and really cool, other than that there's fia GTR2 which is realistic and there mods and things to tweak... check out nogrip racing web site there's lots of mods for various games!

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I just loved the customisation that was offered on forza. With parts, body and paint it was really good. Forza looks to have changed since number 2 which i used to play on my xbox. It looks really arcade like now. What console does the new GT come out on? Is that for the PS4?

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

/troll

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Need For Speed Shift 1/2 are both very good as is Dirt 3.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I felt the stages were too short on Dirt 3, but it an awful lot of fun with a wheel, I'll give it that!

13. Stanley Tweedle

Some stages short and some longer. One of the expansions has some nice races too.

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got DiRT 3 actually - time to fire it up. I discounted it given how ar*e DiRT: Showdown is/was...

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Oh yeah showdown was an abortion, even people I know in codies hated it.

I'm not holding much out for grid 2 either, it seems codices have been struggling since dirt 2.

16. Stanley Tweedle

Showdown was an arcade numpty joke. GMG got a sale of Dirt 3 at the moment for £5.09. I like the game a lot. Responsive on wheel and Track IR support. Winny win win.

I feel fairly confident Grid 2 will be arcade crap. I like to be proven wrong though. I find it quite a burden being right all the time.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Richard Burns Rally with the RSRBR mods, Project CARS (when it's finished/comes out), Shift2, Dirt and Dirt 2 are all great fun.

RaceRoom is worth a mention as well - it's free, and you can drive Georg Plasa's Judd 1-series up a quite long hillclimb which is very satisfying.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Shift 2 is my standing favourite, at least until they release CARS. Dirt 2 is the best of the codemasters lot, they seemed to go downhill from there.

A lot of people hate Shift 2 because it locks you into a race with terrible controls and a generally bad setup, and forces you to finish it before you can do anything else. Grit your teeth and put up with it, then spend some time sorting the controls out (deadzones etc.) Once you get it right it's a very fun game, especially with the helmet cam.

19. Stanley Tweedle

"All of this effects-laden geometry does come at a cost, however: Grid’s cockpit view is gone, though apparently not many will care. "

No cockpit in Grid 2. Nuff said.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/grid-2-review/

One wonders why they even bothered with a hood cam given the target audience.

"While we’re partial to in-car perspectives ourselves, Codemasters’ telemetry reveals that only five per cent of its racing-game players use it."

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sounds self fulfilling. Next time, no one will use it. Because a) they thought the last one was **** so didn't bother and b) you removed the option.

I'm not into racing games, but felt the need to assert my weighty opinion... :eyebrow: