1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink decent/reasonably priced places to eat in london?

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 23 Jul 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hey guys,

i'm in london this sunday with my cousins watchin dark knight at the imax (woo!)

now, we always have a loong debate about what to eat for dinner. can anyone suggest any good/cheapish places to eat? we'll mostly be hanging around the Imax and soho/chinatown zones 1/2. maybe a half decent italian/moroccan/greek (NOT CHINESE, WE ARE CHINESE, WE EAT CHINESE FOOD ALL THE TIME AND I'M SICK OF THE OVERPRICED CRAP IN CHINATOWN AND IF YOU SUGGEST CHINESE I WILL GET ALL CHINESE AND KICK YOUR ASS!)

We've tried Bodeans, that was good, but there must be some gems there we haven't tried.

suggestions muchos appreciated

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

what about japanese-ish - wagamama?
    hare and tortoise in russell square is also decent - does some nice sushi and noodles.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

cork and bottle in leicester square, if you are into wine, go there, i reccommend the ham and cheese pie.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2008
  4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Mmmmm, pieeeee

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

you have got to be joking! Wagamama is terrible! Maybe it's because i have asian roots or something but wagamama has been the biggest culinary disappointments I have ever experienced! and that is no joke! it's just so bland and boring and poorly presented!
    sorry, rant over!

i don't think the other suggestions are quite what i'm looking for but thanks anyway! Anymore suggestions?

btw, satsuma in soho is a bit better than wagacookingmama's. Try there next time!

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i think ive been there. it is nice.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Bloomsbury has some good restaurants.

Italian: Spigetta

Middle-Eastern: Fairuz

Breakfast/lunch: Valerie's

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

cheers nexx, fairuz looks like it could be a good call. any idea of the prices there?

9. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yep Bloomsbury's got some decent eateries. There's also a nice little Spanish restaurant between Oxford street and Tottenham Court road which does great food. Covent Garden has a load of nice places there as does Soho

The Angel Islington has a load of nice places to eat too, particularly remember a lovely Turkish restaurant if I could only remember the name :)

10. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Mc'Donalds:hehe:

11. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

If you like Thai, try Busaba at either Store Street or Wardour Street. It is by far the most value-for-money Thai place with amazing food. I'm from Malaysia and I've been to Bangkok before, so it's not like you're getting advice from someone who hasn't tried the cuisine elsewhere. Other nice places include Bertorelli's, Strada, Nando's, Carluccio's, Italian Kitchen, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, TGIF, Zizzi, Pizza Express.. and many more.

12. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Oh, and if you're looking for Japanese, I'd avoid Satsuma. It's really average for the price you're paying. Instead, I'd suggest one of the Japanese places in Chinatown, although I'm sure some of them like Tokyo Diner don't do your typical bento box set or teppanyaki set menu.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not too expensive for the quality and the location. You can get a "sampler" (large) set of dishes for about £40,-- if I recall, which will leave even two hungry people struggling to eat it all.

14. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Is Fairuz between Leicester Square station and Spamalot, tucked away in a street perpendicular to Charing Cross Street? If so, my experiences there have been alright, but for the price you're better off elsewhere tbh.

15. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Sitaaray? All you can eat curry and kebabs for £15 :)

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This is a bit of a thread derailment, but there used to be a Dutch restaurant where you sat on long benches etc with tankards of beer. Can't remember what it's called (or where it is, other than not far from tower bridge) for the life of me, anyone been?

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

dude, you gotta remember the name of this place! i'm lovin turkish food at the moment! would love to try it! can you remember where exactly it is?

according to my googling powers fairuz is on blandford street nearer bond street than leicester square
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=W1U+3DA&spn=0.024481,0.068901&hl=en

18. kempez

kempez modding again!

I believe it was here. If that's the one then staff are friendly, atmosphere is nice and the food is very good and different which is why I liked it :)

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

you taking the micky?

Wagamama is as Japanese as my elbow. That place is awful

If you want Jap food go to Misato in China town. You Chinese folk seem to love thta place but get there early or you will need to wait in the cue.

Or try Belgo/belgro in haymarket, a proper restaurant that deals with freshly prepared seafood, ohhh and they have like a million varieties of beer.

If in Soho try Ran, a Korean restaurant, superb food.

20. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Sounds like a Dutch version of www.bavarian-beerhouse.co.uk :)

If you're heading for a pub I recommend the Olde Mitre. £1.75 for a cheese + ham toastie at lunch time and a good range of well kept beers. What more could you ask for?

Tags: