1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dedicated Skyrim PC - another white mod!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dr.c.strange, 7 Dec 2011.

1. dr.c.strange

dr.c.strange What's a Dremel?

EDIT -- maybe this would be better in 'modding' as its not much of a project...

Hi all,

So after a few years of waiting, Skyrim is out and I needed to build a new PC to run it at it's best. After some very helpful suggestions from fellow bit-tech'ers I bought the folloring components:

Case: In Win Dragon Slayer Micro-ATX <- this is one of the best looking cases around, I think. And the name is very reminiscent of Skyrim :)
    PSU: Antec Truepower 650W Modular PSU
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 M-Pro
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
    Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
    GPU: 1GB MSI GTX560Ti TwinFrozrII SOC
    Hdd: 500GB Seagate SataIII 6GB/s Barracuda
    <- recently read bad reviews of these so regret this a bit..
    Hdd: 500GB Western Digital Green SataII 3GB/s

That was going to be that, I intended to build it and begin playing the game as quickly as possible! However turns out the PSU was faulty and had to be RMA'd... Now I have a replacement part to wait for.

I thought I wouldn't be idle, and decided to mod the case. This is the first time i've ever modded anything so it will be a steep learning curve and I don't plan to do anything major at the mo.

My basic idea was:
    Respray the case white externally keeping the frame in black. I originally wanted the colour scheme to be the classic blue, black and white. A theme that I love, but there is a really bright red LED on the motherboard that seems to out glow all the blue LED fans i have in there (I have replaced the two stock case fans with two 140mm bitfenix spectre black fan blue LED fans and one 90mm Enermax UCTB9 T.B.Silence Case Fan) and creates a kind of purple colour. I don't really know what sort of lighting arrangement I want inside now..

The In Win case truly is magnificent. But it would look better in white. So, I decided to give spray painting a go. I only have photos after two coats of primer and the first coat of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few mistakes... paint spraying onto the black bits and the logo :( but hopefully these aren't too noticeable. I need to go out and buy another can of paint before I can do the next coating. Also, I knocked the front over and knocked off two of the clips that hold it on.. it should be ok as the front is very light plastic.

Anyway, to do:

1 more coat of white paint on the case and other little bits. Need to spray the i/o shield as well. I might also buy a can of gloss black and spray the inside again...

I would like to braid the cables on the psu etc but haven't any money to buy any extra parts (even braiding...) atm, hopefully in the very near future!

I might be also get a piece of white acrylic to go on top of the psu and hard drive bays and hide those components from above.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  2. dr.c.strange

dr.c.strange What's a Dremel?

sorry for the bad pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.