1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Define R2 - extending the B/W theme

Discussion in 'Modding' started by maximus09, 3 Jul 2010.

1. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get my hands on some white Sata II cables? Just normal ones not right/left angles. Didn't think it would be so hard to find them, tried a lot of places already such as Kustom PC, Performance PCs, Maplins etc.

I am getting a new case as am really bored of my old CM Stacker nVidia edition. I am upgrading to the Fractal Design Define R2 and I want to have a black and white themed interior. Trying to get my hands on as many white cables as possible to minimise having to sleeve everything.

Thanks!:thumb:

UPDATE:

So I have decided to change the name of the thread as there are quite a few modding bits I want to do. Also I didn't plan out this thread properly, sorry about that it is my first mod thread and I am a newbie :duh:

So the plan is as follows:

1. Get new case; Fractal Define R2 & Titan Fenrir (Done)
    2. Put all my components in case and cable tidy much better than my previous (in progress throughout mod)
    3. Clean out dust from everywhere :blush: (semi-done; need to open PSU/GPU and clean)
    4. Get white sleeved ATX, 8pin, and 2x6pin extender cables (done)
    5. Sleeve Sata cables with white sata sleeving (done except one which was too thin)
    6. Sleeve the case header cables; USB, HD Audio, power/led. (ordered sleeving, done eSata cable)
    7. Re-create a new Sata Power cable with white sleeving (Pin remove and pins on the way from MDPC-X)
    8. Re-sleeve the 2x6pin cables coming from the PSU
    9. Also re-sleeve the ATX, 8pin and 4pin cables from PSU (probably clean at same time)
    10. Paint top of Titan Fenrir in white and recreate logo in black (thanks to JaccoW for this idea)

And thats about it folks, this may take me a while cause I am at full-time work and I only get saturday to do major stuff but will update as much as possible :)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2010
  2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Buy one of these - it's the only place I've seen them

Thermaltake used to make Thermaltake XR-CableP - not quite white though.

3. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

cheers langer, you mean i have to buy a whole motherboard just to get them :waah: Does newEgg ship to UK?

oh love prometheus by the way!:dremel:

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Thank you mate.

I would email their marketing department. Ask if you can procure the cables in question.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Hate to be a Debbie downer, but companies very rarely do that. I've tried many time with no avail

Good luck in trying

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Scan have Silverstone white sata cables though that one has a 90deg connector, maybe you can find another one that has only straight connectors. Alternatively you could buy twice as many as you need and swap the right angle connector for a straight one, got to be cheaper than buying a whole Mobo.

Moriquendi

7. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

yea thats not a bad idea!! thanks!! however i know nothing really about cables, could you offer some advice as to how I could do this? thanks!

8. Moriquendi

AFAIK sata cables are straight through connections so all you would have to so is clip the connectors off the cables (one straight and one right angle) then strip off enough insulation to solder them together and connect up the individual wires making sure that you have the right wires connected up (pin1 to pin1 etc).

Alternatively it may be possible to disassemble the connectors and reassemble the straight one onto the wire, I know this can be done with certain styles of sata connectors but I dont know if it can be done with those silverstone ones, you wont know until you get your hands on the cables.

The advantage of this is that you can make the cables exactly the right length.

Moriquendi

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Thanks Moriquendi!!

I will try that, will get my hands on a soldering kit this weekend :D

Will post back if successfull :thumb:

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Why not just spraypaint a black cable? Just tape up the connectors and you'll be fine.

It'll be easier than soldering this if it's your first time.
    [​IMG]

11. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Pop the ends off and use white heatshrink to cover them - Far less hassle than soldering those fine wires.

12. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

13. Daydream85

Daydream85 What's a Dremel?

Seen that a few times. Looks really nice and as he said.. much less effort!

14. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

yea i was thinking about braiding them, but covering it the cables completely with heatshrink is a great idea, and does seem like less hassle, thanks guys.

Anyway I'm going to try a couple of ways and see which works, and looks best! :thumb:

thanks again!

15. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

do you think the paint would come off though if you flex the wire?

16. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

what do you mean pop the ends off? you mean the connectors?

does anyone know where i can get a cheap heatgun for heatshrinking in the uk? can i use a paint striper gun?

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Paint stripper gun might be a bit on the hot side me thinks, specific low powered hot airguns are tricky to find, though try this . Also this: clicky

18. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

You'll probably be able to do it with the connectors still on, with 2:1 heatshrink.

I use a crafting heatgun, borrowed on long term from my missus

19. Moriquendi

I would imagine that paint would flake off when the cable flexes. A Paint stripper gun is a heat gun and will work fine (but a hair drier wont)

The edit post button is your friend, bottom right of your post, keeps the forum looking neater...

Moriquendi

20. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Spraypaint?