1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delayed GTX 1050 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 25 Oct 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 Happy New Ye- MELTDOWN!! Staff Administrator

Hi all,

Today you'll see various GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti reviews go live across the web. Unfortunately, we will not be able to post ours today.

Just over two weeks ago, our GPU test system's CPU completely died. I immediately went to work sourcing a replacement CPU and motherboard in order to retest cards (which needed doing anyway), since a new system would invalidate all the old results.

Sadly, we were marred by shipping delays but I was eventually told the CPU would arrive yesterday. I came to work armed with my overnight kit ready to work through the night and hit the NDA but the CPU still had not arrived. Unbelievably, our GTX 1050 Ti sample was also lost by a courier, so even if the CPU had arrived I would not have been able to review it for today. I was still at least hoping to get the system up and running and rebench older cards, but alas.

Firstly, I want to apologise for this. I did everything I could but it still sucks that we won't be able to go live on launch day.

Still, as far as I know, I should be able to get everything up and running this week. However, I wanted to ask your thoughts on whether I prioritise getting the review up ASAP i.e. with the current selection of games (DX11 - Fallout 4, Witcher 3, The Division; DX12 - Ashes, Hitman, Total War: Warhammer), or take the time to add in new benchmarks.

I would like to add 3DMark Time Spy, Deus Ex, Doom and Battlefield 1 to the suite, for example. In the interest of time/sanity, I'll still be keeping the selection of games at six total, so some will have to be dropped. Also looking at moving to having one or two DX11 games and four or five DX12 instead of the current three/three split.

I am heavily leaning towards using the opportunity to take a bit of extra time to add in new benchmarks since we've missed the launch anyway and a new system is the perfect time to do so, but still happy to hear your thoughts!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'd drop Ashes and Hitman adding Battlefield 1 and 3DMark Time Spy. I'd also prefer a slight delay with new benchmarks added than a rushed out review with "older" benchmarks.

/2 penneth

3. David

David RIP Tel

Which one of the Bit Tech team ran over the Witch Doctor's cat?

Answers on a postcard to:

Matt
    666 Dogbert Street
    Suckstobeme
    NE14 10S

:D

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
  4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I would be happy with a delay to the review.
    Games/benchmark-wise - you're the expert!

5. Dogbert666

3DMark Time Spy will be added without replacing anything since it's synthetic. Will be keeping six actual games. Pretty sure Ashes will be dropped.

6. Dogbert666

D:

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Do whatever will get you the most sweet sweet clicks. mmmmmm clickalicious.

But since you can't make the NDA, it makes more sense to do all the work you want and post rather than posting it and updating it as you'll unfortunately miss that initial big end of NDA rush anyway.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This guy knows what's up.

Personally, I'd like to see something other than gaming added, just out of interest. Summat like cryptocurrency mining, or scientific distributed computing like Folding@Home. Something relatively easily done (install the client, run a benchmark, write down the number) and by no means the focus of the review, 'cos most people are buying the things to play games, but I think it'd add a certain something.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

From what I've seen they're pretty disappointing any way. If you own a 950 or 960 then simply don't bother.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How the hell did you kill a processor? Other than physical damage can't say I've ever killed one when it was in the board.

11. Dogbert666

Stake through the heart, of course.

Actually, I got a random CPU overvoltage error, went into BIOS and vcore was red and reading almost 2V, then everything froze before I could power off and that was that - complete inability to POST after that. Tried on multiple boards etc.

And yeah, everyone has said how insanely unlikely that is. Still, Baz will be happy to confirm my Midas-like ability to kill hardware :D