1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Dell 2005FPW + Mac = BAD.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sam0r, 10 Jun 2006.

1. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I've just noticed what I can only describe as a burnt in finder bar on my 2005FPW, which I've had for about 4 months.

Is this normal?!

I'll post some pictures later, If the camera will pick it up, it should do because its quite distinct, but I don't know.

2. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I wouldn't have thought it was any different to having a burnt-on start bar for Windows. In which case your beef is with Dell.

3. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

My beef was already with dell, not apple.

Its just that I happen to use a mac and a 2005FPW, but IIRC the 2005FPW uses the same panel as the 20.1" apple display, so surely this would happen on those too?

If anyone else here uses a 2005FPW with their mac, can you check to see if yours has this problem too?

If not, I might have to RMA it, if I can remember where I got it from..

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

I have a 2005FPW that I use on my Powerbook aswell. And I use as it as my main monitor, so finder-bar and dock are on the Dell screen. I've had this screen for about 6 months.. no problem of burn in...

Good luck with yours,
    L

5. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

RMA it is then.

Should be fun.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That's what screen savers are for!

However, I think you could use one of those programs that's meant to fix dead pixels, to give your screen a workout. We have the same problem with our video editing computer -- the screens have Premiere 'burnt' into them.

ch424

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Well, I'm usually using the machine, so the screensaver doesn't get activated much, but its set to 5 minutes anyway.

Dunno if the dead pixel repairing programs would work, is it just a temporary thing do you think? I thought the whole burning thing was supposed to have been eradicated with TFT's..

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There's always a limit to these things Sam0r, it's the same with all displays. Looks like you got unlucky to be honest.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I had some burn-in on my 2005FPW, though it was with the Windows start bar. I looped a screensaver of a 1680x1050 block of solid #F00 red, #0F0 green, #00F blue, #FFF white and an inverted screenshot of the desktop. I let it run overnight for a couple nights and it sorted itself out.
    I now have the screensaver set to run after 2-3 mins, and the problem hasn't come up again.

I now use it primarily as a second display for my MBP, which also has a relatively short screensaver time. As long as you've got the time short enough so it'll activate in the time it takes for you to go to the toilet or grab a drink or whatever, you should be okay. Having a screensaver that never gets activated completely defeats the purpose.

10. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Oh cool, so its self-repairable? I'll give that a shot, cheers!

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I tought that TFT's and LCD's didn't suffer from burn-in... I was allways told that was a CRT only feature?

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

nope tft's get "burn-in" you notice it at train stations, airports and such

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Ok, tnx for pointing that out... But, do LCD's suffer the same effect? And Sam0r, sorry for the threadjacking ;)

14. Firehed

TFTs are a type of LCD. So yes.

15. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Its ok, What type of LCD's? Are you talking about the monochrome type? If so, I've never seen one which did have burning, but that doesn't mean to say they do.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

any lcd with a constant on signal can technically get burnt in. no?

17. Firehed

As far as I know. Some panels are more sensitive than others, but you'll almost certainly see burn-in occur faster on a CRT than any LCD (though I think plasmas have the record, only a few hours I believe). The panels we have at work (17" dells) don't seem to have any burn-in, but they almost always show the same thing. I do wonder whether it's because they're running at 800x600 (ugh) rather than 1280x1024 though.

I think how it happens is totally different though. I believe CRTs get the phosphors literally burned into place, and therefore it's irreversable. LCD crystals can get rather stuck into place if they don't change (pixels stay in one "position" unless there's a change in color data indefinitely), and tend to stick if they stay that way for too long. Rather like how it hurts like hell to stand up after you've been sitting at your comp for 12 hours straight without moving.

Well, that's what I think happens anyways. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it at least makes some degree of sense.

18. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Yeh sam0r just do what firehed said. Whenever i get burn marks on our plasma i just leave a couple of films going on it for a while and its absoultly fine after a few hourse of moving picture on it :thumb:
    Hope this works with u :thumb:

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Voila, I learned something today... Better than all that mechanics **** I have to learn for the exam tuesday... Tnx a lot guys...

20. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

I've just had the LCD panel in my 20" iMac replaced by Apple because of LCD burn-in problems (technically it's called Image Persistence on LCDs rather than burn-in).

With Apple at least, the issue between whether it's a fault or normal behaviour seems to depend on the timescale of how long it takes for the image to get burned into the screen (I don't know if it's the same with Dell).

Have a look at this Apple support article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88343

Notice it says "..if you leave an unchanging image (like a login screen or the same desktop picture) on the screen for a long period of time"

This seems to be "normal" if the burn-in occurs after the images have been on the screen for a long time ie several hours. This may well occur with the dock or the menu bar which are in the same position on the screen for a long time. This can be solved by using screensavers and so on.

On mine, the image persistence/burn in occured after the image had been on the screen for only a few minutes. The Apple engineers agreed that this was not normal behaviour and replaced the panel with a brand new one that does not have this problem.

The best way to test is to create two large images with Photoshop or something similar. Create one that has a white background with some large blocks of black on it - for example, thick black and white stripes. Then create another image of the same size which is just a plain, light grey colour.

Put the black-and-white image on the screen (open it in Preview, say) and leave it for a few minutes (in fact, mine only took about 1 minute for the effect to appear). Avert your eyes from the display during this time because if you sit there and stare at it then the image will get burned into your retinas and you won't see the effect afterwards (see, human eyes suffer from image persistence :hehe: ). Then, put the grey image on the screen in the same place as the black and white one. If your display has the same issue as mine, then you'll still be able to see the stripes faintly. Dell should definitely replace the display in this case.

Sorry I can't supply the images that I used, but I deleted them when I got the new display and had checked it worked.

Good luck!

Tags: