1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell 2407WFP-HC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M1CUZ, 3 Sep 2007.

1. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if anyone has one of these new Dell 24" Widescreens. I came very close to ordering one today (£432 inc shipping, vat 4 year warranty and 0 dead pixel cover).

However I have seen a number or people reporting problems with ghosting and other similar artifacts, anyone able to comment on their experience with this panel. Plan to use it for a bit of everything, Movies, TV, Games, Web, Documents etc etc so looking really for a jack of all trades, master of none.

Will be moving up from a Viewsonic VP912s (19" 4:3).

Any comments and suggestions welcomed.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yeah i have one

there is a weird blueish ghosting issue with the monitor that occurs only with black on pure white, but this is solved by toying with the colour settings (by default it's way too saturated anyway) - after this, the panel rocks the kazbah. it's documented on the web somewhere (it's for the previous version, the 2405, but worked just the same on this one) but i'll find the settings for you and post them here (on laptop at the mo)

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Just ordered it last month. Great monitor. The ghosting issue is a dead giveaway because it is, after all, a very large LCD screen. It's much more noticeable when I moved from a CRT to this. Games are perfectly fine and actually play quite well because of the screen's vivid brightness. You will need to spend some time to work with the colour adjustment for the first few days. The extra inputs at the rear are very useful and switching between input signals is a breeze.

One thing that countless other monitor brands **** up on is putting the power button behind the bezel, making it inaccessible in a multi-monitor array.

4. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Have seen a few places that say settings such as those at the page below can help all but eliminate the ghosting effect. Are these the sorta settings you were thinking of Fod?

http://www.pretentiousname.com/dell2407fix/index.html

Think I have just about read al of the forum post about this monitor there are around. I just wish a decent review site would pick one up and give us all the lowdown (/me pokes Bit-Tech) :p

5. Fod

that is the exact page i used to fix the ghosting, yeah :)

it completely goes away when you do this. the panel loses some 'vividness' afterwards, but as i said it was way too saturated to begin with so it's not really a loss. the colours are still totally wild. need to spend some time calibrating this beast. might even buy a spyder.

6. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

That's a great offer you have uncovered - would love to know who gives a 0 dead pixel cover for this monitor ?

7. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

8. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info - appreciated

9. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

I think the video below shows exactly the problem I have been reading about, I am unsure if I would find this a particular problem or not to be honest. But I think I will likely hold off on the purchase for now and see if Dell come out with a suitable fix for it.

Shame as I was really close to getting one

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4580166121612925274&hl=en

10. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Same place I bought mine :cooldude: They really are outstanding :thumb:

I had a couple of pre-sales questions for them (i.e who covers the warranty should anything go wrong - them or Dell), and they were answered within a couple of hours.
    I subsequently ordered the monitor at around 2.30 in the afternoon. It was delivered at 8am the next morning :eeek: :clap: :rock:

11. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

i ordered mine straight from dell, the first one came broken and the replacement took 2 weeks to get here, but now I have a 25 percent off coupon from dell and a new monitor =)

12. Fod

this DOES NOT occur on my 2407wfp-hc. at all. i am driving it with an 8800ultra.

13. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Any sign of ghosting on your screen Hazardous?

14. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Well.... It arrived, was setup and.....

That dark ghosting behind light objects moving on dark backgrounds drove me crazy from the outset, tried all the tweeks under the sun and still no joy.

Contacted Dell to be told it is a problem they are aware of and trying to fix, they couldn't guarantee me this would be replaced/fixed under warranty should they ever actually find a suitable fix.

Less than 24 hours after it was unpacked it is now back in the box, and a refund request awaits the supplier on their return from the weekend.

My quest for a 24" Widescreen continues, I am now reading many more Benq FP241W Reviews. Might end up with one of those once my refund has been processed.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just for the record, all the TR review chaps think the BenQ is pretty much the pwn for 24" screens atm. :)

16. Simon @ PC Buyit

Simon @ PC Buyit What's a Dremel?

Ghosting 2407WFP

The official repsonse regarding the Ghosting issue with the 2407WFP-HC is below, the 2407WFP A04 and 2407WFP-HC share the same LCD panel from Samsung although the back lighting on the HC is superior giving 92% colour gamut, The Samsung 245-T uses the same panel and backlighting as the 2407WFP-A04

Dell has received feedback from some customers regarding our new 2407WFP-HC monitors. The majority of this feedback has been positive but some customers have made inquiries regarding a ghosting trail behind a moving image. This effect is known as "overdrive ghosting" and, while not typically experienced with general monitor use, it may be seen from time to time when viewing patterns on a lower greyscale background.

This "overdrive ghosting" effect is tied to the overdrive feature of the LCD panel. The overdrive feature helps to deliver impressive picture details and quality across a wide multitude of usage models by improving the grey-to-grey response time. However, when the overdrive feature is coupled with a faster monitor response time, the potential for overdrive ghosting can occur in some viewing patterns.

17. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the forums Simon, and thanks for taking the time to give us that heads-up/info on the ghosting issue :clap: :thumb:

And if my personal experiences with you personally [over the phone] are anything to go by, I'm sure you (PCBuyIt) will get many more recommendations on / custom from forums such as these :rock:

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would take a look at a Samsung monitor, they are very good too. But, they use the same panel. I would personally search around more.

Tags: