1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dell Business Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 13 Apr 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Hi everyone, so a little while ago I posted a thread asking for some information about a good laptop for my mother, she's had a dell something or other (which was mine) but its been going for 6 years, and really needs replacing now, she has £500 to spend, and I want to get her the best laptop possible. I also want to it to last as long as possible.

she doesn't do anything particularly intensive, listening to music, the odd bit of photo editing and the internet, simple stuff really.

now I could get her something around the £400 mark that would do these things just fine with say an i3 370m, but seeing as the new sandy bridge laptop chips are out I thought we might as well go with that, so I've found what I believe to be a particularly good deal on a dell business laptop vostro 3550

now what I wanted to know was, what is the best way of going about purchasing one? because we don't have a business, is it still ok to buy one? Or do I need to have a business, or at least the name of a business (a couple of people I know have business's, so if needs must we could use one of there business names)

We where probably going to purchase it online through dell if that makes any difference, or would it be better to get on the phone?

Many thanks for anyone who has any information on said matter :)

2. thetrashcanman

anyone know anything?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Just phone up and order it.

If they ask say you're a sole trader

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just be warned business terms are very different from consumer terms. make sure you read the T&Cs for businesses and see if you are ok with them. When your a bunsiness you can pretty much state anything in your terms and if agreed to are law.

common things that business to business purchases are you pay for postage back to the supplier if its faulty, warranty is with the manufacturer unless stated that they offer warranty (not really a dell issue), warranty can be longer or shorter for business purchases etc.

things like the Distance selling regulations and consumer act DO NOT APPLY.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When I order from Dell, I ALWAYS go with Dell Small Business:
    > You don't need to be a business. I just say Family Business. Some people, including friends, invent a company name. The only reason why I say that, is because I don't want them to transfer me to Dell Home, to order a business class system (little to no price negotiation, and Home warranty service)

> Dell will NEVER say no to a sale

> I call Small business because you can seriously negotiate a price and free upgrades (and free shipping). Obviously the more services you take, like 3 year warranty and/or next business day on -site service, the more room for negotiation you have.

> Also, you enjoy a way better warranty service.

6. thetrashcanman

Thanks goodbytes, I knew it was you who had posted something like this about dells business laptops before and there warranty, but i couldn't find it and wanted to double check, anyway we went ahead with it, think we got a bloody good laptop for £500, complete overkill but oh well.

i5 2410m
    4gb single stick ddr3
    windows 7 professional
    trend micro anti virus 15 months
    biometric fingerprint reader, (something which I will be very interested in)
    webcam (something my mother desperately wanted for skyping etc

i'm rather pleased with myself :D

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah! Good deal.
    You would be please with Business class machine quality, and cooler and quieter operation.
    Let me know what you think once you get it, please :)

If I was you, I would remove trend Micro A/V, and any extra software that you don't want (possibly PowerDVD, and Roxio) make an image of the system on a disk, and mark it as a restore disk for yourself.
    Then feel free to put what ever A/V solution you want (I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essential (free), super fast, super light, non-intrusive, doesn't slow down your PC). Update Windows and drivers, and up you go.

8. dmv915

dmv915 New Member

Did you end up getting the 3350? Can you check if the hdd is easily upgraded? I heard some issues about the 3450 and the case design preventing a hdd swap that wouldn't void your warranty. I'm seriously thinking about getting the 3350 but the hdd upgrade thing worries me.