1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Dell Inspiron 7577 - CPU no longer down-clocking at idle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wakka, 30 Jul 2018.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I know a few of you chaps have Dell laptops, anyone else had their CPU's suddenly running at peak all core clocks even at idle?

My 7700HQ won't go below 3391Mhz on any core, no matter how many background applications I close and how low I get the CPU utilisation %.

Turbo boost is working as it should, with all 4 cores going up to 3791Mhz as and when needed, but the multiplier won't go the other way.

If I was using a desktop, I wouldn't be complaining, but considering it's a laptop and I have spent a good amount of time finding a nice stable undervolt, it's kinda negating those efficiency gains at the moment!

I've tried switching from the default Dell power mode to Balanced, restoring default settings in XTU, restarting after updating... same result - a CPU that is idling 10 degrees warmer than it was yesterday!

HALP.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

FOUND IT!

Bloody Windows has so many different performance/battery/power saving sliders and options now, it's no wonder why people are always so confused at why their machines are running unexpectedly...

javaman likes this.
  3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

That's pretty useful, thanks Wakka.

I've always wondered about this for older laptops. When "idling" and background tasks like AV or defrag/trim or some other random windows task kicks in how many machines are actually getting a chance to drop to lower power states?
    My wife still uses a core2 laptop and it feels like there is always some task chewing processor cycles. It'll down clock for a few seconds before jumping back up to max with always about 20-40% useage