1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron 8500 Help/Story

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by A3D, 15 Sep 2008.

1. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Well one morning i went to turn on my Lappy, I hit the power button, Heard nothing boot.. Just the silence of three of the green led lights steady for about 10 sec then giong away. So, I figured, Reseat the battery and it will be fine but no. So i left the battery out of the laptop for about two days now and i installed it again with little hope of it working. It worked, Flawlessly. After about 5 min it made a wierd like scratching, or grinding noise and lost power but now it is running fine. Does anyone know what could have been the problem so i can solve it before it happens again? Thanks guys.

2. triplex

triplex Modder

It sounds like your AC adapter or more likely the motherboard is dying. A short circuit somewhere??

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That scratching noise doesnt sound very good, which would make me think hard-drive, but that doesn't explain the start up issue.

4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

AC circuitry or hd maybe, either way backup your important data now!

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Have you tried starting the laptop without the main battery installed, using the AC power cord only?

Also, when it has been able to start, have you run the Dell diagnostic utility? The short version can be accessed through the boot options by pressing F12 on startup (on a Latitude D600 at any rate,) or the full diagnostic utility can be accessed by booting from the driver CD. If the full diagnostics comes up with any errors, you can report them to Dell's technical support team.