1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell monitor warranty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boardoombob, 20 Apr 2013.

1. Boardoombob

Boardoombob What's a Dremel?

Just got the report back from the engineers, and I'm not 100% sure what to make of it.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what a 'dual rectifier' does in a PSU?
    And secondly, after discussing the fault with the engineer afterwards he mentioned that the part wasn't up to task in the first place (underrated to what was required, so this was always going to happen).

If he is correct, this suggests to me a manufacturing fault. Is this a correct assumption?

Cheers,

2. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey, the engineer has pretty much just confirmed the known fault that can be found all over the internet. He didn't need to open it to identify the problem and may not have.

The dual rectifier is just a pair of diodes which rectify an AC wave.

Dell will of spec'd one that would be fine but maybe it was near tolerance and wont last in that state for years and years. Clearly it has lasted 3+ years so was not in any way faulty and not their fault.

The point is its a know fault and a fairly easy fix for anyone who knows how to solder and can find the information on the internet.

You're options really remain the same. Get it fixed or sell it in its current state to someone who can fix it.

3. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Any update on this?