1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell quad SLI spy shots

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jan 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

wow

im kind of confused by the pics though. is it 4 normal cards, or what? i see 4 PCBs, but are they on 2 PCIE slots or 4? be good if there were some mobo pics and pics of the cards out of the rig.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

check the first link in the article... ;)

4. ApeX

ApeX New Member

That is pretty sexy :D No they are modified PCB's, Why dont they just use the duel core 78GT's (or make duel GTX's)? Wouldnt that work the same? Instead of having 2 PCB's for each slot you could just have one.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2006
  5. ChromeX

ChromeX Active Member

Welcome to the forums ApeX, yeah I think that would work the same. You'd have two 7800GTX cores on a card then that would take up the same number of lanes as 2 normal cards and ditto for the other. They wouldnt have a SLI connector between them though. Bigz would know

6. dom_

dom_ --->

no its 4 cards
    as the link says quad pci 16x mobo
    and 4 cards :p

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hey dude, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure on the exact reasoning behind the two PCBs on one card, but I get the feeling that it is because they didn't want to have to use an insane heatsink like the one on the ASUS EN7800 GT Duo or even worse, the Gigabyte 3D1-68GT - that's a three slot card.

Having the GPUs on separate cards means that they're able to use a more sane cooling solution on each of the four GPUs and I think that's the reason why NVIDIA has done what they have here. :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's two cards, with two PCB per card. The motherboard only has two PCI-Express x16 slots:

[​IMG]

I've explained how I understand it to work in this post.

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I can see why they need to have external power suply, have you seen how restrictive the grills are for the psu compartment :O no matter how hard they try it still looks like an exersise in cost cutting.

10. dom_

dom_ --->

teach me to read that so wrongly. my bad

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm...

the powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Yeah... cable management here. I think Mac's win. Three just to the computer just for power. Whereas macs are like... what... power and integrated kvmp?

I'm still puzzling over that VoodooPC. Like more specificlly where the $10,000 price difference between buying from them and DIY comes from. And to a lesser extent why MCE is the only OS choice... idiotic as it doesn't have a tuner and, in my experience, XP is MUCH faster overall and just as functional for anything that doesn't require a remote control (and almost as much with stuff that does, and definately more responsive). A watercooled SLI rig in a custom-designed case from Lian Li. Big freakin' deal. I seriously doubt LL charges them five grand per case.

12. buzz_lips

buzz_lips New Member

hhmmmmm the cost,

Seriously though, whose going to go for this. " Cards are out of most people's reach. I'm all for innovation but come on.......

Does look tasty though lol

13. boof

boof New Member

Damn. What games can't you play at top CRT resolution now?

14. valium

valium New Member

Im still wondering how two 7800 GTX's with 1gb of ram on each card would do against 4 of them with 512, cause if the performance benefit isnt there then why do it?

Given if you dont have a very high end monitor you'll never truly take advantage of a setup like this.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Let's talk again in the day and age that FEAR is something they run on their "old" pc...

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ooh, that's cool. But why stop at 4?

:duh:

Is it just me, or is the quest for better GFX getting ridiculous?!

17. Mattt

Mattt Member

um so who do i have to kill to get that machine?

* readys note pad *

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nah, it's just the hi-fi generation coming back at us, but for video.

I'm all for it, but like hell would I even think about paying THAT much. I suppose if inflation skyrockets but that things price stays the same, it's one thing...

19. tecate

tecate New Member

Ok now they just need to start producing dual core GTXs ( 2 GPUs on 1 board, like ASUS did with dual GTs), then apply this concept to make a videocard with 2 PCB's (but single PCI connector), and then run a pair of these babies in SLI. Total of 8 GTX cores. Now how many pipelines, shaders, mem would that be? Better yet they should make a motherboard which would support 4 PCI-Express X16 slots so we can have up to 16 GTX cores. Wooooo-hoooooo............

Seriously. This is rediculous. I understand that there are people who CAN afford this baby, but why not invest into developing new technology so that current would fall down in price quicker?!

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Active Member

but those cards dont support DX10.. so its gonna be useless in like 6 months...

Tags: Add Tags