1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell u27 - How best to set up for photo editing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 10 Jan 2013.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It does indeed. I forget too.. I usually get large capacity inks for my 4880, and they last so long it's easy to forget.

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I have a 7880 myself and they seem to last an eternity, even when I'm doing huge print jobs for other people. I used to work for a photographer that had a 4880 (I also used them a ton at school) and I do not miss the paper jams that occurred with matte paper over 190 gsm.

3. Pookeyhead

Never had a single jam with it. I always used 240gsm paper. Maybe the school ones were just overly abused :) I considered replacing it regardless, but I now have unlimited, and free access to a 9990, so I rarely use the 4880 now. I may sell it if they have a weakness waiting to happen!

4. padrejones2001

This happened on every 4880 I've ever used (and I've used a lot of them in a variety of environments) whenever I used the sheet feeder with thicker matte paper. It would start to feed the sheet from the tray, then immediately reject it. Increasing the platen gap usually fixed it, but it never happened to much thicker coated papers (350 gsm and the like), which I always found odd. Obviously, roll paper never encountered this problem, so I used that as much as I could if I didn't have access to my 7880.

5. Pookeyhead

Ahh.. I never use the sheet feeder... that's why I've not had it. I use roll paper.

6. padrejones2001

I was wondering how you managed to avoid that problem. Here I was thinking you were some kind of printer charmer.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just had a calibration with it, I think the U2711 did good :D

[​IMG]

less than 1 DeltaE, almost all are still pretty much spot on since factory calibration over 2 years ago.

anyone know how to view more detailed report? eg each colour's DeltaE.

8. Pookeyhead

Not sure you can with the Spyder software, but if it's anywhere, it will be in the Advanced Analysis section I think. I've not used the Spyder for ages. I moved to i1Display Pro, and since I got the coloredge screen I've been using Eizo's color Navigator to to hardware profile it.

Anything less than 1 dE is utterly fine.

Nice black level. What luminance level were you calibrating to?

9. wyx087

just ran more tests under Advanced Analysis, you are right, it's hidden in there for some unknown reason.

[​IMG]

for brightness, it is calibrated to 120. the results in previous post was at 120. this colour reading is at something like 80 so that I don't feel like my eyes are burning.

10. Pookeyhead

That all looks healthy to me.

11. wyx087

thanks. good to know.

12. Pookeyhead

Before, when I said anything less than 1 is excellent, I was referring to the average result, not individual in case you were assuming I meant yours wasn't excellent. It's HIGHLY unlikely any monitor will get less than 1 on all colour swatches. So long as none of them are over 2, all is well.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Ok so a bit of a progress report since setting things up. Im still seeing strange results (or at least I think I am!).

I have taken this image through the process to see if you can help diagnose!

- Monitor is set to Adobe RGB

- Lightroom set to Adobe RGB (only place I could find it was the External Editor within the Preferences window)

- Exporting images from Lightroom in TIFF using Adobe RBG
    - When i view the TIFF in windows photo viewer the contrast looks higher and it has an effect on the colours.
    - Viewing the TIFF in Photoshop Elements it looks the same as lightroom.

When exporting the TIFF to JPEG from Elements and viewing the JPEG in Windows Photo Viewer the image again has too much contrast and a strange change in colour. (When exporting I have unchecked the 'Use ICC profile Adobe RGB 1998')

BUT! If i right click that JPEG image in windows explorer and set it as my desktop background then on my desktop it looks just right!

Ive uploaded the JPEG to flickr (see below).When viewing it in the browser on flickr the colours look right.

Also.... if i then switch the monitor back to sRGB (what I am assuming will suit most people for the web) while viewing the flickr image it looks slighty washed out with less saturation.

Am i going mad? What does this image look like to you? Colours, saturation ok?

[​IMG]
    Amur Tiger by bdigital101, on Flickr

14. padrejones2001

I believe the photo viewer is profile agnostic, so no matter what profile you have set, it won't look the same as in a color-managed program. Windows does have some color management, but the emphasis is on "some."

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows Live Essential Photo Gallery/Viewer uses Windows Color Management profile set in Windows. As for the default photo viewer I think it does as well, but I am not sure.

16. wyx087

what is set under Color Management -> Advanced tab -> Windows Colour System Defaults -> Device profile? I think it should be sRGB.

I always export as sRGB because not every browser has colour management. eg. Chrome doesn't.

no idea what your image should look like, but that shot look a bit under exposed.

17. bdigital

18. Pookeyhead

Windows Photo Viewer doesn't like ICC v2.0 profiles. Create or use a version 1 profile and all will be well. It makes little difference practically if you use v1 or 2 profiles.

BTW.. those images look really dark to me.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
    YEHBABY likes this.
  19. Pookeyhead

Ideally, there should be a monitor profile there, not a colourspace profile. Use the Dell profile that came with the monitor in the Windows colourspace tab.

I'd export in Adobe RGB and then save a separate version for web with sRGB. I'd keep the serious workflow Adobe RGB in case you ever want to print from it to a wide gamut printer one day. Of course, if you keep all your RAW files, it's irrelevant, as there is no colour space embedded in RAW files... they are always as wide as your camera can produce. That way you can save out as many versions as you like. That's just one of the advantages of RAW over JPEG.

20. bdigital

Thanks pookey. Viewing them on my phone i can see the tiger is dark but the superbike looks ok to me.

When i save as jpeg in elements, will it automatically use srgb? Because the only option i can see is to include the icc profile or not when saving.

Im not sure what else would be causing my imagea to come out so dark when converted.