1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Dell U2711 27inch Widescreen Monitor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 16 Mar 2010.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

@MitchBomcanhao, yeah, and as with PQuiff above it was a refurb, but it was a perfectly good refurb.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

why not just get a decent 30inch tv with hdmi connector would do the same job for half the price

this is hips waffle. Basically uber high end and the cost is what it is i guess.

decent moniter but not for everyone

3. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Bought one of these last week from ebay for £700. Arrives tommorow. Been holding off playing Bioshock 2 for this one. Hope the mouse Lag isn't too noticeable. Upgrading from a cheap Cibox 22" not sure what the lags like on it if any. Does anyone have a direct phone number for Dell, (just in case there's something wrong with it) There web site isn't the clearest.

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I love my DoubleSight DS-305W 30" H-IPS Display but what sucks about it is that it doesnt have HDCP support so I cant watch Blu-Ray with it unless I rip the blu-ray to my system first, which can be inconvenient.

Has anyone found a cost effect way around HDCP yet? to use with montitors that dont have HDCP, honestly I still dont see the point of HDCP it does more harm then good, if someones going to steal/pirate then well they would simply rip the media like Im force to on my legally owned media just to watch it on my monitor.... complete waste, they should drop HDCP.

5. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

All in all it's a good looking monitor, but I don't think I'll be giving up my 30" for it any time soon. About the only thing I would consider giving my current monitor up for, would be a triple 24" setup.

AnyDVD HD will circumvent HDCP issues. I have to use it myself as my 3007WFP doesn't have HDCP support. Never had an issue when using AnyDVD HD, and you do NOT have to rip it to the hard drive first. Zero issues playing a BluRay disk straight from the drive.

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

No it wouldnt. Try it out, TVs are not meant for PC usage and cap out at 1900x1080.

7. TiredGeek

TiredGeek What's a Dremel?

Too big, LOL.
    I'm currently running 3 x Dell 2405FPW 24", each @ 1920x1200, or 5760x1200 if you prefer. Just perfect for me, multiple programs open and minimal hidden windows, brilliant for drag n drop.....
    If these die, I'll go for the 3 x 27", you can never have too much desktop

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've been eyeing these up recently, albeit slight unrealistically, so glad to see it's gotten a decent review. Kinda miffed it doesn't have a webcam built in although I can kinda understand why given its target customer. Given that it's the same res as the 30" I would rather have the U2711 any day as I actually prefer a higher pixel density over outright size.

Assuming it'll glady take a PC, Wii and 360 and handle the sound, which it looks like it should, I might have to get saving.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

It isnt the same res as a 30" though its got slightly less pixels due to the aspect ratio, I still maintain that if it was a little cheaper it would be a great buy, maybe itll see a price decrease in a couple of weeks who knows.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I love the way you point out your control monitor is the older 30" display, as i own one myself, it gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.
    The one problem i get with a touch sensitive button, especially on my 3007 is i don't press it hard enough, many a time have i gone to turn the screen off, touched the botton and walked off, to find in the morning the screen is still powered on.

Sam

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Guys, please do a review about U2410 as well.

12. ashtefere

ashtefere What's a Dremel?

Would you guys update your view with a measure of input lag in "game mode"? I hear that game mode turns off the 12-bit processing and reduces lag times, but I have been unable to confirm this.

-Ash

13. Jambe

Jambe What's a Dremel?

I think the proper word is "plane" unless the difference between plain and plane is yet another British/American English difference.

Enjoyable article.

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

interesting, seems more like a work station monitor for photoshop or cad, not really market towards gamers.

I think 23-24" is my limit for monitors anything larger and I have to sit them so far away from my desk that reading text isn't fun. at work I use one of those apple cinema displays and while it looks wonderful and all, that's just too much monitor for me gives me headaches.

at home I've een using dual 19"s now I'm upgrading to the Dell bit reviewed a few weeks ago the 23"

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dual 19"s is fine for me.

I'd get the 2 dells, but I just can't stand the TN panel ness. Time to wait until the U2410 gets cheap, and then I'll get one myself.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Screen estate is like money: you can never have too much.

17. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I bought one of these off ebay for £680. Amazing monitor, playing L4D2, BFBC2, CODWAW is amazing. The only slight problem is that it takes a little while to get used to the tracking on fps games, seems a little shaky at first but you soon get used to it. Could well be the video card anyway not the monitor.
    I'd give this monitor 10/10.

18. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Bought This monitor From Ebay last week. Arrived Today. Really Good. The standard colour profile looked a bit green but changed it to Adobe RGB and it looks much better. What setting was the review done on? As I've not had chance to try it does the Game mode help with Lag?

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

lag is my main interest with these panals is the lag, I have a couple of tn's a dell and the new acer which are great but I want another with decent image to replace my old crt...

is it actualy something to wory about nowadays?

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You can have more than you need however. Personally I sit at a desk when using my PC, so anything over 24" is unnecessary and would be overpowering. If I wanted to use my PC from the sofa, then I agree that a bigger screen is needed.

Tags: Add Tags