1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Dell U2711 27inch Widescreen Monitor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 16 Mar 2010.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Did you set the color profile to Adobe RGB or sRGB?
    Did you install the color profile that comes with the disk?

Also, you are assuming this monitor as for real professionals that based their career on that. This monitor is clearly not the case. Dell doesn't make those. You have to go with brands like EIZO, where the monitor cost a few legs and arms, but they are very color accurate, uniform backlit, real 0 backlit bleeding, and other advantages that Dell monitor doesn't has. Clearly Bit-tech (and any other big review sites) are no true professionals in the fields working at big jobs where the monitor is there life. Terms like: professional, beautiful, good, nice, bad, terrible.. well about any adjective, varies from one person to another. When I got my U2410 (with my own money), my father was scratching his head when he saw the costs... he was like.. I can go to any store like Best Buy and find monitor at 100-150$ why did you pay soo much.. a screen output text, it's all anyone needs. And he loves his 150$ 17inch Acer monitor with what they laughing call 160 degree view angle... I don't.

This monitor is for people like me... who enjoys colors very much, that want 8-bit colors, that seek minimum backlit bleeding, a wide variety of inputs, all by looking good.
    I do photoshop, but far from professional... I do icons, small images, for my website and software, but it kinda stops there. I can't stand TN panel's. The limited view angle is vomit at best, and the colors don't get me started. In fact without the U2410, I would still prefer to use my old high end CRT over anything. I only live once, so let me enjoy my computer to the max, let me enjoy life and it's glorious colors (even though computer monitor can only output a fraction of what the eye can see as colors), with the budget I can afford.

This monitor (and the 24inch version, which I have are more for die heart CRT fans, like myself. CRT's are dead, and used ones are too old to offer any usability (magnets lost it's strength loosing sharpness and correct image size (geometric deformation), and it's color output are fading, providing no longer very accurate color by default (well for the high-end CRT's).

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
  2. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Serious question here, if I am using the monitor professionally, and have to have accurate colour, why would I be installing the colour profile that comes with the monitor ?

The .icm profile I used was the one that the caibration device I used created.

As for Dell not making monitors suitable for pro use, well I have been using them in that capacity for over 10 years. In fact I have worked in hospitals where they have had medical imagi ng displayed on Dell S-PVA monitors. In Pro Photography circles the Dell 2709W is renowned for being very colour accurate. Another monitor I can think of, off hand that also has accurate colour is the LG panel Apple 23" of old. Also renowned in photography circles. However the current 24" is not colour accurate, and glossy.

Eizo are using the same Samsung and LG panels as Dell. The quality control may be better. The only downside is you may have to reject the first few monitors Dell send you till you get one with uniform backlighting (in the case of the older non LED backlit ones).

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I've just realized, this still has not made me want to replace the old DiamondPro 91TXM yet, that thing is just plain awesome.

4. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I used to use a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22", I think the res was 2048x1600 can't remember. It was amazing, sounds mad, but I miss those old school screens.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Those old school screens are brilliant at what they do.

Although they weighed more than eighth graders.

6. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

My 2x Iiyama Visionn Master Pro 450 are starting to go funny, funny thing is I paid about 500 quid for them if memory serves me right, hence the reluctance to replace them.

7. Thundergod

Thundergod Vipers Rule

I just replaced my Mitshubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22" CRT I bought in '99) with a brand spanking-new Dell u2711.
    Wow.

8. vampalan

I bet you are enjoying the extra desk space! The depth of CRT's is very silly.

9. Thundergod

Thundergod Vipers Rule

Yes, so much more desktop space it's ridiculous. I can actually use Windows Snap feature.

10. vampalan

LOL, I was actually refering to real life desk space, but yeah, computer desktop space is good too, everytime I go to Apple Store in London, I am in awe of the dual 30 inch screens they have on demo there. The vertical pixie height of 1600 pixies in landscape is just amazing, can have two web pages opened side by side and not have to do much scrooling...drool... hence I've not bought any of those 1080HD screens.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I've always looked at getting this. I had someone suggest I get something of this standard as it is what you spend all your time looking at.

I always considered getting one from the outlet store that had been returned. But I do hate the idea of dead pixels.

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The iMac doesn't work as an external monitor unless there's a mini-displayport on your graphics card. It should calibrate in Windows through your GPU drivers, however

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  13. GoodBytes

Yes but that under emulation...
    you can't control the lamp strength (let's say) of the monitor. If it's at 100% and your eyes hurts.. there is not much you can do. It won't surprise me if there is any hack software that allows communication to the Mac display so that you have control. But my point is that it's not on the display itself for easy access, and as well, OS independent (if the software doesn't work under Win8.. what do you do? You'll have to wait and cross your finger or maybe look for a different software, it's tedious)

14. Kallyfudge

Kallyfudge What's a Dremel?

Can anyone help me, whenever I turn on my PC since I got this it has tried to get drivers for an unknown device/ Its quite annoying as it slows down the startup, I suspect it is the screen at the moment since there were no drivers. Where do I find the driver for it, I assumed it was built in since there's nothing on the dell website.

Cheers!

15. GoodBytes

Monitors don't have drivers. Well for the USB hub, but that is built-in the monitor. It's most likely something else.
    What OS do you use?

16. Maurice

Maurice What's a Dremel?

Howdy! As I understand from the Info above that the Mac Pro doesn't use a LUT? I have the U2711 on my Mac Pro OS10 and have not been able to Calibrate the screen. Can I buy a 12 bit LUT for the Mac? Is the only way to Calibrate this screen is by eye and a color chart? Thanks for the Help!

17. Kallyfudge

Kallyfudge What's a Dremel?

Cheers![/QUOTE]
    Monitors don't have drivers. Well for the USB hub, but that is built-in the monitor. It's most likely something else.
    What OS do you use?[/QUOTE]

Cheers GoodBytes, Im using Vista 64 bit, could it be vista not picking the USB hub up? Ill try removing the usb connection and reset.

18. GoodBytes

What OS do you use?[/QUOTE]

Cheers GoodBytes, Im using Vista 64 bit, could it be vista not picking the USB hub up? Ill try removing the usb connection and reset.[/QUOTE]

The hub is supposed to work with any OS.
    If it doesn't, then it might be broken. Contact Dell for you to get a new monitor replacement.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just got my U2711 by driving to UPS depo to collect it.

the hub is a bit strange, my Novatech £10 webcam doesn't work with it. (not only doesn't work with USB hub, also can't clip onto the monitor :( ) iPhone 4 works, don't have any other USB device at hand.

great monitor, thanks for the advices GoodBytes. will be posting a full thread in Hardware section with pictures tomorrow :D

look at the size of that thing!
    [​IMG]

and look at that viewing angle!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Oct 2010
Tags: Add Tags