1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 my quick review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 13 Oct 2010.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also, only 1 DVI input, not pre-calibrated, plastic stand, and well not even an actual OSD menu, where only the brightness is adjustable.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It won't in sRGB mode. Only if you use it as a wide gamut screen with non colour managed sources will you notice the saturated colour problem. This is why wide gamut screens always have a sRGB mode.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

does that mean if i want natural colours, i should only use sRGB?

also, is a calibrator needed? feel it's pretty acurate anyway. and more than accurate enough for my films/shows/games.

4. GoodBytes

If you are happy with the colors (Adobe RGB or sRGB), then I don't think it's worth investing in a calibrator just to get them a tad more correct, which I doubt you'll see a difference on the screen, as you don't need such precision.

For me, I use Adobe RGB, and happy with it for general computer usage. And I go under sRGB when I want to edit a picture or something.

5. Pookeyhead

A calibrator is not NEEDED, no. If you're not doing colour critical work, it's not worth it. However, in it's normal wide gamut mode, some colours in web sites, games, and DVDs may be over saturated because they are not colour managed, and the monitor will be taking a sRGB image and expanding it to fill the maximum gamut the screen can show. If you want natural colours in web sites, films and games, then yes, sRGB makes more sense. Even if you do calibrate it, it still needs the applications to be colour managed and ICC profile aware. The latest firefox is, but unfortunately, most web site designers and administrators aren't, and they still use untagged images, which will look over saturated in wide gamut mode.

That's the wrong way around :) Adobe Photoshop IS colour managed, and so long as you set your colour preferences correctly, it WILL show things correctly in wide gamut mode. You want to be doing the opposite! Especially as the screen also has a pre calibrated (sort of) Adobe RGB1998 colour mode! In Photoshop, with no image loaded, go to edit, colour settings, and set the default RGB colourspace to Adobe RGB1998. Tick all the profile mismatch boxes Quit, reload and check it's stored this as the default colourspace. In Windows 7 right click teh desktop, select Screen Resolution, click advanced, and click the color management tab. Click Color Management, and remove any profile that's already there. Add your monitor's ICC profile (should be on the CD/DVD) and set this to the default (use a generic sRGB profile if you have no ICC profile). Close, apply, apply. Do NOT use Adobe RGB here. Use your monitor profile here. Likewise, do NOT use a monitor profile as the default space in Photoshop.

Photoshop will now honour the image's colour space. When it loads an image that is NOT adobe RGB1998, it will prompt you for action. Always select convert document's colours to the default working space. If an image has no profile attached, use assign default working space.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2010
    jammy_fred, GoodBytes and wyx087 like this.
  6. GoodBytes

Cool, thanks! +rep

7. Pookeyhead

No problem mate.

8. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle New Member

Calibrating the Dell would change the colors ever so slightly. The colors look slightly different after calibrated, I can tell you that much but I can't tell you if it is actually better and more accurate. Just different.

No two calibrators would do it the same. So unless you have multiple monitors and want consistency, the Dell is just fine.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. wyx087

oh a note about coating. this U2711 has really, really strange coating. seems like hard plastic.

i was cleaning it last night, but my wipes doesn't seem to affect colours (you know, pressure to the monitor surface), so i decided to press it down hard, still little effect. knocked on it like knocking a door, it sounds like hard plastic used for outer shell of electronic products. is IPS panel very weak? why does Apple decide to put it behind glass and Dell put it behind hard plastic?

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Pookeyhead

I have 2 colorimeters here, and access to a third. They all calibrate the same. Visually, there is no difference between the screen when I calibrate it with a Blue Eye Pro, a DTP94 and Color Eyes Pro, and a Spyder 3.

On paper, the Blue Eye Pro is the most accurate, and the Spyder 3 the least, but visually, they are all identical in a multi monitor set up.

If you can't achieve this, you're either doing something wrong or there something wrong with one of your monitors.

11. GoodBytes

The screen film that Dell use is a light scratch resistant. It's from 3D, hence why you have that slight texture visible from really up close on white. Apple puts it behind a glass surface for he looks (as it looks better then using a plastic glossy sheet, like on cheap LCD monitors).

What you are seeing is just how the IPS panel works, the colors don't spread like they do on the TN panel.

12. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Member

Ordered 2 the other day to replace a dying 30" Gateway XHD. Can't wait to get them in.

13. GoodBytes

a second only? Why not a third one for your old pal GoodBytes ;)

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Well after a lot of soul searching I dug deed in my poor old pockets and bought a Dell U2711 WQHD 27" monitor.

Had it about a week now and I like it a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my most favorite bridge

[​IMG]

wyx087 likes this.
  15. wyx087

i see you also have the strangely sized icon, smaller than large, but a lot bigger than medium.

thanks for posting this up. may i ask what setting are you running your monitor at?

eg. im running at:
    contrast : 50
    brightness: 8
    preset: sRGB
    mode: graphics
    input: displayport.

16. Teelzebub

The icons are set at medium and the display is DVI-D thats the only option I have for display due to using a KVM switch.

contrast : 50
    Brightness : 45
    Preset : game
    Input DVI-D 1
    Mode : graphics

Last edited: 31 Oct 2010
  17. GoodBytes

You should give a try to sRGB or Adobe RGB, for way better colors. I game with these mode, and frankly it doesn't affect my FPS games.

He played with the icon distance, and set a custom icon size (ctrl + mouse scroll wheel on the desktop).

18. Teelzebub

I'll give it a go on the on the other colour setting's and see what they are like.

As for the icons its on medium but not to grid spaceing.

19. wyx087

if you click on medium, your icons will become a lot smaller. it shows it's medium, but it's not.

tryed game preset, with dynamic contrast off, of course. colours feel unnaturally vivid. it's personal preference IMHO.

20. Teelzebub

Yeah I need to play with it and see where my preference is really.

I had it on standard last night while gaming seemed ok so I try it on game tonight and somthing else tomorrow sooner or later I'll find whats right for me.

But still a great monitor but I dont think I'll be going for a triple screen setup any time soon at that price lol