1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 or triple LG IPS231P cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 18 Jul 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This works.

2. GoodBytes

I am not the one that will go:
    on your nice U2711.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well. it's never scratched, and i've never scratched other TN monitors without the hard coated AG layer using same method.

edit: cloth bought. but after i bought it, i THINK Dell might have provided a cloth in the box....... ah well.

edit2: no they didn't was with another monitor....

Last edited: 23 Jul 2011
  4. GoodBytes

Congratulations, you have won the loto. Because my brother scratch his old screen that way, hence why I am very careful. Oh and same for my Dad (then again he used Fantastic cleaning product)

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So, at 2560 by 1440 resolution, The Witcher 2 was a jerky affair with my GTX 460 SLI. Then I remembered I'd forgot to implement my customary 815MHz clock whilst in awe of the pretty colours! :duh:

It made all the difference at 2048 by 1152 and it also has the same effect at 2560 by 1440! Did have to tone down a few settings but it's just as capable and all the more pretty. Temperatures have shot up though, so it really is pushing the GTX 460. Notching the fan up to a permanent 70% should curve that problem. Overall very impressed my SLI rig is maintaining pace at this resolution and stutter free.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
  6. GoodBytes

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Afer all the hullabaloo about these 27" screens I just had to have a go on my mate's 27" imac to see what the big resolution is like. I have to say it is amazing, however coming from a 24" monitor I wouldn't get a 27" because there just isn't a big enough increase in physical size for me to consider it a worthwhile upgrade. That's not to say the 27" screen isn't nice; but if I'm to get something bigger it'll just have to be a 30" screen. :)

8. GoodBytes

9. wyx087

monitors are perceived by its height, that's why when you compare 24inch with 27inch, you don't feel such a large increase.

but at 2560x1440, you'll get a HUGE increase in width. with 24inch, you can only have IM windows alone side a browser without need to scroll left and right on the browser. with 2560, you can have 2 full sized browser side by side. (since most websites are designed to 1280 width)

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My main gripe with the 27" displays is pixel pitch - I much prefer the pixel pitch of 24" and 30" screens for working with photos at 100%.

Probably won't get the U3011 as it's a little out of my price reach, but who knows what I'll come across after some intensive searching. :)

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

£671.04 was the best they would give me through small business! :(

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not good! :(

Did you give them any references such as a name or address? If not then it's worth trying the on-line 'chat' route that's available and then doing a fresh deal. Otherwise if they do have your details they'll simply compare the previous quotes unfortunately.

longweight likes this.
  13. longweight

Will try the online chat route tonight :D

Good tip!

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's open until 10:00PM, just say you're interested in buying the U2711 for work purposes (enter comment about freelance work) and wanted to explore if any discounts are on offer given you are a self employed professional.

They gave me a call, so it costs nothing to try!

15. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

I havwe mine in adobe rgb mode and downloaded the adobe rgb icc file and set it as my default profile (this is what your monitor is factory calibrated to and therefore should give the most accurate colour reproduction)

see here for instructions
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1511987

Link to the visual difference
    http://yfrog.com/3u100percentrampp

wyx087 likes this.
  16. wyx087

rep+ for the find.

but is my eyes playing tricks on me?

before doing that, FF and Chrome image looks the same. after going through and setting AdobieRGB, Chrome's sRGB green look flat whereas FF's look same as before. is this supposed to happen?

also, everything seems to pop out now, i had to decrease brightness from 2 to 0 for my eyes to cope with such brightness. can't go any lower!

17. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Partial blindness will settle in after a couple of days and the brightness will be fine... U can speed up this process by sitting 2 inches from the creen while plaing battlefield!

Dunno about chrome as havent used it. THe link on setting up the u2711 is pretty long and worth reading through as there are a few different theories as to whats best

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
    Blogins likes this.
  18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Very nice, thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Can I delete the icc file once I've set it up within windows?

19. GoodBytes

You can't delete Windows default sRGB profile (which I recommend to use, if you use Adobe RGB profile, and not the monitor one.. but then again I have the U2410, not the U2711). But you can delete the one for the monitor.

I suggest to simply set the one you want as default in Windows Color Management panel (see Control Panel, or search for: Color, on the start menu to get it)
    This way, you set programs with specific profiles... or in the case you change your mind.

Please note that you need to restart your programs to see the effect of the loaded profile take place.

20. longweight

Ok no luck online either :( Argh I cannot decide whether its a good decision!