1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell will use Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 2 May 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Not on the UK store?

3. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins New Member

While I think Ubuntu is a great product - I use it myself and have installed it on the PC of my parents - I shiver to think what will happen if the average, windows trained, computer user tries to use these.

It will be interesting, though I really fear neither Dell nor Linux nor Ubuntu will get a positive feedback out of this ...

*crosses fingers for Ubuntu* :)

br,
    -btb-

4. p3n

p3n New Member

Why on earth do you need linux preinstalled ? Surely they should just add an option for no OS and let people decide as after all its free...

5. konsta

konsta New Member

For exactly the same reason as any OS is preinstalled....

6. labr@t

labr@t New Member

be great

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

How much as I dislike Ubuntu, I think this is a great step for Linux.

The average Windows user will cope just fine with Ubuntu. After a week they would have forgotten Windows :)

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Will it be cheaper than the Windows equivalent though? If so, I can envisage a substantial minority purchasing the Linux version, zapping it and installing a less than wholly legitimate copy of Windows to save a few $£€. Heck, I'd zap Windows from a Dell PC and reinstall clean anyway - who knows what kind of crud the Dell installer monkeys put on there!

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Like there is a marginal minority that does that today on homebuilt PC's...

10. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins New Member

That remains to be seen. Insofar this is an interesting experiment by Dell :)

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

They'll probably charge £50 for the bother of putting a free OS on there.

12. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

True, but I don't see Microsoft being too happy about Dell pitching consumer PCs at a lower price with no MS OS installed. First, it will encourage piracy, and secondly, it will reveal to some extent the cost to Dell of Windows licences.

13. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake New Member

While I only use linux, and would never have windows on any of my pcs, I'm dubious of this new move. The average person is going to either not try it at all, or more likely:
    1- Buy a Dell pc with Ubuntu installed
    2- Have no idea what to do, post some useless post on the Ubuntu forums
    3- Find out that their new game/software won't run (Yes I know wine rules, but its not easy enough for your average user)
    4- Get seriously pissed of at Ubuntu, Dell, and Linux, and buy a copy of windows, and pay for it to be reinstalled. This will badly damage the reputation of linux among scared new users.

TBH, anyone who cannot install ubuntu on their own will never be able to use it.

14. Hamish

Hamish New Member

be good for situations where you need a fairly large number of basic machines, internet cafes etc, that would set you back a lot in windows licenses

15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

Ubuntu drove me insane in wholly 20 minutes, I could never see a average or above average PC user who's ever used a Windows PC being able to do anything on Linux. "Just use WinZip" his friend says. WinZip doesn't work for Linux he finds out quick so he has to search the internet for the equivalent Linux program to do the job for him. Viewing a funny picture now became a 30 minute webhunt and Linux nerd jargon-translation, and the end result is a very annoyed consumer with a picture of a beaver in a hat.

Perhaps a 30 day Windows trial and an included Ubuntu Live and Install CD included in the bundle? That gives the consumer a chance to weigh their options at least.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I'm a seasoned gamer and computer enthusiast, I regularly use PCs in all of their glory and have been around long enough to know a large amount of programming languages in some capacity and even DOS commands!

I installed Ubuntu the other day - the simple linux. 2 days and much pain and misery later the graphics work!

Linux isn't the right move for dell - people who use linux really want to work for their computer to do stuff, people who buy dell really hope AOL and the internet comes pre-installed, in my personal experiance. You can't give people a system that isn't going to run the games they want, that isn't going to be able to run the program off your NTL disk to install the internet and isn't going to be fixable if it breaks.

edit: And I can honestly see no reason to use linux over windows except for cost - security is only a matter of not visiting dodgy sites (which people probalbly would tbh) and as for stability, my linux crashed all the time - not good at all. Back to windows now though, ah sweet bliss :)

17. Aankhen

Aankhen New Member

I wonder just how much their support calls will go up. :)
    "I do not think that word means what you think it means." ;)

Tags: Add Tags