1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dell XPS 15 or any other XPS series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 22 Oct 2013.

1. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

I can't remember if these xps have an accessible battery. If so check for the coa sticker under there.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 8 product key is stored on the BIOS chip.
    It take about a month of serious usage, and start with an open mind, on average, to get used to the new Start Screen. People see how more powerful and practical it is, and how to use it, and like it. Once you pass the learning curve, people prefer it over the Start Menu.

The Start Screen wont' go away, so just get used to it, be open minded.

Here are some cool things about it:
    -> You can pin any folder you want to have quick and easy access. I pin my folders (Documents, SkyDrive, Downloads, This PC (Computer), and project folders) at the bottom left corner for quick access, as I get to these locations often.

-> I get to pin all my games and regroup them under 'Games', like this I dont' need to open Steam, UPlay, Origin, then close everything as I noticed it's a retail release, or what not. I just have all my games that I currently play, pinned right there.

-> I pin my news (News Bento, CTV News, and weather).
    -> I also pin XBox Music, 'cause I use the service. I don't know how it is in the U.K, but here it's amazing.
    -> Pin my productivity software for quick access to them.

Of course, the most used programs are always pinned on the Task Bar.

What I like about Windows 8, is how it can sync your account with another Windows 8 system/device you have. Files in SkyDrive are sync, and even wireless password are sync.
    So if you re-install Windows 8, and your desktop runs Windows 8 or some other devices, your wireless password will be sync back to the device. Pretty cool.

Another awesome thing in Windows 8, is that it will auto-switch from wireless to wired, as soon as you plug your Ethernet cable in, and switch back to wireless when you disconnect. And when you wake up the system from sleep, wireless is already connected.

Enjoy your new system. Got any question or need help, just ask.
    Windows 8.1 has a help tile, if this is the first time on Windows 8, check it out. It will help you get started.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks, will have to work for a while to get used to it, like you said.

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Also, with the update to 8.1 you can make it boot to the desktop rather than the Metro layer - then you just use the Metro layer as an amazing start menu. Here's how.

That's how I treat it as I can't stand the in built mail and calendar apps compared to the Google equivalents - personal preference though.

To be fair, I know both of these got an overhaul in the 8.1 update and I haven't checked them out yet.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK, problem here - I cannot change windows update settings. It says admin can do it, thing is my account is admin account:(
    What should I do?

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Have you tried right clicking and choose "run as administrator" from the context menu?