1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dennis launches new iPad magazine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jul 2011.

1. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Rumour mill suggests iPad2v2 due this year with the retina display ...

Sign me up!

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

not sure what is wrong with liking iOS. have you compared iPad 2 against competitors? higher spec'd tablets with 1GB RAM give you a worse user experience due to stuttering and unresponsiveness.

not everyone want to tweak their tablet experience down to the bone. it's all about app experience, and iPad with iOS offers a much wider range experience. so there's a reason people choose it, not because they go for shinny products, they go for solid products.

3. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

A magazine on my iPad about the iPad? I'll pass, what I really need is a series of tv programs about my toshiba regaza 37" TV.

Tim S and Guest-16 like this.
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tablets don't replace netbooks though.

On the topic of iPads for business, as much as I'd like to drop Outlook like a brick off a cliff, I find it hard to think the iPad can do meetings, secure messaging, internal communications, remote access for IT management and remote backups business' require. MS kind of has the monopoly there. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Reading mags on the loo though - ****in a!

5. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

cue apple fanboys......

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I was reading one of those yesterday... it's called Dragon Age.

7. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

There's plenty of things an ipad can be used for! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEfcy_u0-YM

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But you're talking complete rubbish. It hasn't been available for years and years and it hasn't been free. Google and Amazon have only recently released their respective cloud / locker things. And only yesterday Amazon have dropped their price to compete with Apple's as they were too expensive.

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Here's a lovely thing I read the other day in the WSJ another looking at why iPad like tablets are not selling.

"Consumers don't want tablets - they want ipads"

http://dthin.gs/qu3pu5

10. wyx087

50% in both country, how convenient :)

following my user experience point, this is the article that lays it out with better wording: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/06/30/why-cant-anyone-make-a-tablet-better-than-the-ipad-touch/

i know it's posted in apple section of that website, but you can't escape the fact other tablets are not as responsive as ipad, the user experience they offers just not there. (windows phone 7 also has good touch user responsiveness, but that's not on tablets yet)

11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I'm a consumer and I want an Andy Pad!

http://www.andypad.co.uk/

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

That's the point I was making :)
    Can't say my PIM needs have ever been more than syncing my Hotmail calendar, contacts and email so you're probably right there.

Spot on with the loo as well. :hip:

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The name "padder" and that horrible logo/art style put me off it instantly.

The other half subscribes to Olive magazine and we get the iPad edition of the BBC Good Food magazine for free and its brilliant! All the magazine goodness with out pages of adverts, no magazines cluttering up my house and less to fill up the recycling box.

14. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

my main gripe with the ipad is that as a device its fine and has some good things going for it. however people dont buy ipads because they have a need they buy ipads then try to find a need for it. Average joe fills this with youtube with friends, showing friends facebook pictures or playing stupid games for 5mins/day.

All this so he can tell his friends he owns an ipad and its OMFG amazing and its the best thing since slice bread and i cant believe i only paid £500+ for it

wait what....

you paid £500-700 for a device you use to check facebook, play rubbish games, check hotmail and watch youtube ?

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Well I've "read" Padder, and I'm really not sure what the point of it is (Other than to be a vesel for advertising space). I'm sorry, but the content is not for me and I'm not sure who it would be aimed at.

It's not detailed enough (at all!) to be worth paying for regularly and it's not quite targeted at "You got yourself an iPad so here's what it can do". Well I hope it's not targeted at that segment as really, by the time consumers discover padder, they'll already know everything they need to know.

My main gripe? Such shallow content. It's all advert, there's no reviews, no editorial, no commentary. It's all just "Here's a few games (but we won't tell you anything about them or whether we like them)" and "Here's a few speakers (but we'll spend half the review talking about their names and nothing about how they sound)"

Agghhh give me better content, I know you can do it!

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

And why are you griping about that?

People buy all sorts of things because they are cool and then come up with cool things to do with them. I've done it with:

Clothes, Food ingredients, Power tools, Art materials, Furniture, Photography equipment, Gadgets, Make-up and my first every computer in 81.

It's a very human and natural thing to do. You see something new/clever/cool/funky/flashy and you're like "I want... I want... I want".

Maybe you're too logical to ever have acted like this, but stop griping at those who don't fit into your very narrow definition of what people should do.

17. adam_bagpuss

why would you buy something then try to find a use for it ?

people dont buy PC, laptops or phones this way.

18. wyx087

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Of course they do! If they didn't smart phones wouldn't exist we'd all be using Nokia 1 series. People buy computers for a limited task "browsing the web" "word" then find them selves annoyed that it can't play Crysis.

20. adam_bagpuss

your not getting my point

So they had a need i.e. web browsing and word but then decided after they also would like to game. They didnt say ya know what im gunna buy me one of those PC things to sit in my room and find something to do on it.

A lot of people buy ipads because 1. there friends have them, 2. so they can say they're cool

Tags: Add Tags