1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Design Phase: Project Grounds For Divorce

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mcbeckel, 22 Feb 2004.

1. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

Just though that I would share my my new case desing to see if you guys have any suggestions.

The main shell of the case will be made from a donated Antex SX630 case, but the entire front will be totally custom. I'm einter thinking of making it out of some sort of wood or plastic; suggestions?

The red vertical lines on each side will be inlaid plexe which is going to lit up from behind with either som led's or a cold cathold. The two red circles above the fans are going be the pwr and hdd activity lights.

[​IMG]

BTW Thanks to those who contributed to the SketchUp thread in the Mod Guides, you save me alot of time.

2. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Wow you are doing a good job on the design of that.

Is that supposed to be plexi that is going to be used for the cage around the optical drive/hard drive area?

For the lighting up of those inset pieces of plexi on the front I would suggest using a red Cold Cathode on each side for better even light distribution.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2004
  3. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

looks like some ideas going through my head :) especially with the 3 drive bays and the 2 big fans.

4. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

The case looks great! One thing I want to ask is if your hardrives are going to be cooled passivly or by a fan. The setup you have looks like they are going to be cooled passivly since they are not in front of any fans.

5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Mmmm I like :thumb:

The big problem is the cd drives. they look out of place. Could you design some kind of door or stelth the drives so that the sleek lines of the case are maintained? a bit like a cheiftec dragon.

otherwise it :rock: s

6. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

A door made out of modders mesh and painted red would look really cool, to cover up those out of place looking drives. :thumb:

7. STi305

STi305 What's a Dremel?

yea stealth drives are definetaly nice to look at

maybe you could do it so that u just press the cover [ya know the one that is covering drive bays before you put stuff in] and it opens... looks good like that. i dont know if you could do it with that case, but worked really well with my lian li, kinda scary though. first mod for me i was nervouse about cuttin it... scared me so bad, but definately turned out good.

gl luck with it and very nice lookin design :thumb:

8. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Yes, very nice job withn sketchup :thumb:

I would suggest using plexiglass to construct the front, then painting it the color of choice.

9. mcbeckel

Yes the drive cage is going to be made out of plexi.

The drives are going to passivly cooled, they will have at least 1/4" of air on the top and bottom.

I was either thinking of stealthing the drive or just dropping it down to one slot loadind dvd.

10. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

Sounds cool, Too 'messy' for my likeings but I think it will still look cool! Good luck.

11. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

you should turn that sketch into a 3D animated .gif so that we can see a full 3D view of it. :D

12. mcbeckel

Thanks for your comments guys.

I'm not too sure about the window on this one, but .... :wallbash:

[​IMG]

13. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

damn lookin good.... wish i could design cases like that, instead of just going off of whats in my head lol

cant wait till you get started

14. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

I like the second one better.

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

i had e window that looks pretty much like that last one... it had a small opening at the top and a big square one at the bottom... the little "non-windowed" had a CCFL behind it... wery practical, but i got tired of it pretty fast...

it will look a bit wierd because of the cdroms and the PSU... you will have parts of some gray boxes sticking out... in my opininon it's better to either hide them completely, or show all of it :)

16. _frank`

_frank` What's a Dremel?

yeah. looks great :clap:

but what is the 3rd 5 1/4" thing?
    seems to be a coolermaster musketeer or what it's called like.
    shouldn't buy this ;)
    if you meant sth else, ignore me

17. mcbeckel

Yeah it's a musketeer, what is wrong using that? I haven't convinced myself to buy one, any other suggestions?

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

honestly i don't like the musketeer... analog guages looks a bit out of place on a computer IMO...

get something digital... bar graphs with LEDS or something.

19. sailor

sailor What's a Dremel?

Why not go for an aerogate 3 as that will give you a digital display and plenty of fan control. The control lighting can be set to red too, although I'm not sure if the lcd stays blue but that could well be modded.

20. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

I've just bought the Aerogate and the display backlight is only blue. You can change the color of the dial, but not the display one... Of course, you can if you mod it :D

Personally, I like the musketeer too, and I've dropped it just because my case has only 4 bays and they are all occupied.

Nice work on the case project, hope to see the end result!