1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Designing a home / small business network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rooroo, 1 Sep 2012.

1. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

Hello
    Im planning a home / small business network.
    Currently we have rural 2mbps broadband and 54g wifi but soon we are getting bt infinity, not only that... My mrs runs her business from an outbuilding at the end of our garden.

I'm planning on running 2 cat6 cables from the house into the outbuilding,
    They will connect to a gigabit switch in our utility room .. That will connect to the infinity router.
    Also I'm planning on running 4 cables into the living room to a faceplate, two Into my stepsons bedroom to a face plate and two into the other bedroom

Basically
    Router---switch---spur off into rooms
    Is cat 6 cable the right stuff to use for gigabit?
    I have purchased a netgear gs116 to get started

Any advice

2. steel_viking

steel_viking What's a Dremel?

I have a similar setup in one building. Cat 5e cable would be fine.

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Cat5 inside the house will be fine for many many years to come, I'd go Cat6 for the outside link just because it has better shielding.

I assume you'll be running the outside links in some kind of conduit? Plastic pipe is always a good choice as it's cheap and the plastic compression fitting are easy to use too.

Any reason you are running two links to the bedrooms? I'd just run one and then put a switch at the end of the link if you need more connections, you're not going to get close to swamping a GbE link with most consumer devices. Maybe two for the front room, but again four seems overkill?

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Running multiples to a room seems like a great idea to me if you are putting them on each wall or something like that. Keeps more freedom to arrange things.

5. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

There is already a trench in the garden, I thought, stick the cat6 into the garden as it will be buried, it will be easier in the long run to future proof I might just do 2 to each room.. In the future all TVs will have ip features so seemed to make sense to have 1 port ready and another for a computer, I'm glad cat 5e is good for gigabit... So much cheaper :)

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I'd also replace the BT Infinity router with something like a routerboard - more stable, handles the data rates better etc. Only £50 from linitx too :D

7. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Am using that switch to connect all the rooms in my parents house, and it does a very fine job. Good buy!

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd defiantly put it inside some kind of conduit, I doubt that the outer plastic of the cable itself is rated to be waterproof and likely won't survive any organic matter ingress (roots or otherwise).

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

remember you will need to put the cable through a PVC tube to protect it and make sure to make detailed plans in case you ever sell the house. position depth ect. You will want horizantal reinforced CAT6e cables