1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Desktop modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KryptoQ, 3 Jun 2004.

1. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

Here is what I thought for the window on the top of the case. Since the lexn I have is 1/4" thick and will deffinetly hold the minitor (allready tried setting the monitor on it when it was supported by 2 blocks of wood set about the length of the case apart) I would take the 1/8" plexi use it for the window, than get some rubber spacers or something, cut a base for the monitor out, and than set that ontop of the spacers on top of the case (case only, meaning none of the weight of the monitor would be directly on the 1/8" plexi, the weight would be on the outside rim of the case and on the cross bar inside the case). I was asking about what to secure the windows with, I just need something for the side windows, but i'm going to check ay me local hardware store to see what they have. If i was to have the window support the monitor i would def buy some heavy bolts. I will def test before adding my hardware, thanks for the tip :)

I've heard some people use double sided tap for the side windows?

2. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

This sounds like a really good idea for a mod! keep it up. :thumb:

I too like the idea of modding a desktop, its fairly origional.

BTW 1/4" lexan is 5mm not .5mm

3. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

A13n0rma1, thanks for the tips and ideas. I will def test to make sure it holds without my hardware in there, that would really suck if it fell through with my hardware in there.

Ok, I just go done cutting the windows out of the sides, the psu is done except for painting. Has anyone ever put a window on the bottom of the psu, where the board is. On my psu the bottom faces out the side, and I wanted to put a window there but the board is right there. There is room, but I'm wondering if that room is for cooling, and by putting the window in there wouldn't be alot of room left. I already cut a window in the top, think it's a good idea to put one on the bottom?

Another question, I was wondering now that I have the whole case apart if I should paint the inside of the case. Anyone done this? Can i just use regualar black/silver spraypaint, or will that decay my hardware after a while.

Haha, Double C, yeah it is 5mm, wow .5mm would be pretty damn thin huh, tough stuff LOL. Thanks. :duh:

I can't wait to get this thing done. I'll def post pics.

4. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

Ok, for the case part all the windows are cut, sanded and ready to go. I would paint everything now but it's raining and i don't have a place to, other than inside and I don't want to. :sigh:

Now onto the front face plate.

Still need some answers and ideas/tips for my psu and painting questions. Thanks.

5. moddedgeek

moddedgeek What's a Dremel?

heh heh i saw this same thread here

6. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

Yep, more veriety :thumb:

7. moddedgeek

moddedgeek What's a Dremel?

good idea more ideas and what not

8. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

You can paint the inside. It's been done many a time before and has no effects on the hardware in the case.

As for the PSU, that space underneath the circuit is usually just to prevent shorts in case the bottom panel should bend or warp unexpectedly. You can definitely put a window there if you like it. Or you could use the space to "sign" your mod.

9. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

Ok, I don't think much of the led light off of the fan will get down there but I think i'm gonna put on there just for the heck of it, a window there would like nice with some light behind it.

10. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

Ok, been a little busy so I didn't do much on the case, today I will probably give it a coat of primer, see how it looks and all. That's about all the update there is.

11. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

ok, in viewing the case over, i need to make my cuts just a little straighter, i was wondering what you guys use to do that with. I don't really want to use my dremel because It won't be that straight, any ideas?

I mean like sanding them down or something, my cuts are pretty straight I just need to even them out. What do you use to sand it straight or whatever.

12. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Files, files, files.

Then I learned how to use a couple of L channel pieces with some clamps to keep my jigsaw in line. :rock:

13. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

oh no, not files! there has to be an easier way, if I didn't cut the case allready I would of used like a guide for the jigsaw, but anything but files PLEASE!

14. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

360 / 600 / 800 / 1200 grit ‘wet and dry’ sandpaper.

I read this at some modding site. Anyone tried it?

15. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Sandpaper's more for finishing surfaces and less edges, but either way it's just for finishing touches.

Nothing will beat a good wire brush or file when doing edges though. Trust me.

You can try higging a piece of L channel and the Dremel routing looking attachment [ that goes around the chuck, makes the body of the tool perpendicular to the cutting surface ] and a grinding stone to smooth it out perfectly. Until you hit a corner. But it'll work real well until then.

16. KryptoQ

KryptoQ What's a Dremel?

It is now sanded and primered, ready to put another coat on and then the black paint. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

I plan on putting some black caulk on the inside edges of the windows instead of molding, think this is a good idea? It's just for looks basically, and to hide any blemishes.