1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Desktop speakers - SQ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soren, 11 Mar 2010.

1. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

2. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

What's it mainly gonna be used for.

My friend has speakers very similar to the second set (as in posh looking monitors), but he has no sub. Now don't get me wrong the sound quality is unmatched, but games, films and even some music just doesn't sound the same without a sub.

But if you looking for a professional music editing solution I would say the second set.

S'all about context :)

3. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

if your after good music playback then i would advise to get a set with a sub woofer!
    same for gaming and watching films on your comp with.

if your not why not plug your computers into your stereo?
    thats what i did, im running about 3000 rms watts of power at home and trust me with my
    projector, who needs to go cinema anymore, or to a club? its all at home!

4. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

look at Creative labs. Their speakers are pretty spiffy plus they sound good.

5. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Music and games, no proffesional mumbo jumbo, just wan't a pure, clear and colorful sound when listening to my favourite tunes :) I can't imagine those Audioengine's don't give a sufficient punch. Has anyone tested out such systems?

...about Creative, think these are the best ones from them:
    GigaWorks T40 Series II
    [​IMG]

Can't imagine they sound better than the previous two, or I am wrong?

Thanks!

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Acoustic Energy Aego-M

They sound great. The satellites are tiny. The whole thing is incredibly well constructed. No brainer. I've been recommending them for years.

7. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

okenobi, thanks for the advice, but it seems that this setup lacks mid.range.

Another favourite (this time from TrustedReviews) are Teufel Concept B 200, which sport and external amplifier so one can avoid purchasing an internal sound card:

Teufel Concept B 200 USB Speakers

[​IMG]

"The quality of their audio reproduction is nothing short of phenomenal. There's simply no other way to put it. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest to say that these are the best sounding PC speakers I've ever had the pleasure of listening to by a decent margin. "

...now it would be nice to hear a verdict of someone who had a pleasure of listening to the whole bunch. :)

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I've not heard much better than the good ol' Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set personally...

[​IMG]

I've heard great things about the Gigaworks speakers though.

9. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

"Overall, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers perform well and offer admirable power, but at times, particularly with music, the subwoofer produces undesirable rumble in place of accurate low end. With Logitech offering a better-sounding setup for roughly $30 less, the ProMedia 2.1 set simply doesn't stand up to the competition." Cnet review

...so games and movies yay, music nay.

10. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 14 Mar 2010
  11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Is that because they don't have a bazillion drivers like everything else you've listed??
    I've used my ears to recommend these, not the internet. But hey, it's your money.

If you want the best, get some real hi-fi.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What's the budget anyway? If I were to buy new speakers for computer use, and didn't already have an amplifier to use, I'd grab a pair of Behringers? Those give the 600 € Genelecs a run for their money, and THAT is sound quality ;)

That said, they aren't maybe as cute as some that have been suggested, and may also be over the budget.

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

That review was also in 2004. They've fixed any issues they were having as far as I was aware.

14. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna throw into the mix the Logitech Z2300.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=ca,en

One of very few "THX Certified" speakers around, the bass from these bad boy's is just nothing short of epic, and the mid range clairty :O

All I say is Star Trek Blu Ray -> 1/3 Volume -> Tell difference from cinema?

Build quality is great too, they come with a 2 year warranty, I noticed a hiss from my left one after like a year and a few months, and they replaced the whole set for me :)

Just to make your choice even harder :p

15. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

I'd take any review that critized Klipsch sub woofers with a grain of salt. Tho I haven't heard the Pro Media set, I"d still have to hear their complaint for myself.

For my own computer needs my Logitech set suites me fine. I've got a Sony set that I won still in box, no need to open them.

Still, the Logitech Z2300 look sharp, the silver kinda screams basecoat and mod me transluent cobalt blue, lol. (Woud match my other stuff ) :D

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Don't see a budget mentioned anywhere, unless I've missed it.

For music, if you can squeeze a "real" hifi setup in to the budget that should outperform any computer speaker systems. Active studio monitors can be excellent value too (like the M-Audio speakers you've already found), but its best to have a listen to them before purchasing if you can. While many produce incredibly accurate sound, its not necessarily the most enjoyable.

In any case, for quality music reproduction, in most cases you're going to be better off with 2.0 than 2.1, given the same budget for both.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

+1 for the Aego-M's

I've had 15 people buy a set after hearing mine. I've now got a set in every room except the lounge (where my proper hi-fi is)

18. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

@okenobi, don't get me wrong, I have a very particular lounge system (Tannoy Berkeley's with Pioneer SA-9500 II) and know very well nothing can replicate that sound but just wanted to get the best allround desktop speakers for my working desktop, that market has to offer.

@Jipa and Mister_Tad, was thinking about something in the vicinity of 200 €

@JaredC01, thanks for the info because those Klipsch's look the money

@masterjonny, thank you very much for making it easier for me :)

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

+1 again for these, great all round speakers that save desk space nicely

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh the first time around I forgot to rant about speaker reviews on computer magazines / made by amateurs. Really I give absolutely no value whatsoever to people who just listen to speakers and readily slap 10/10 points and editor's choice award on them. Just to kinda hilight the point, I searched around for some reviews and here's one conclusion:

"It’s good, then, that the AV 40 isn’t all stürm und drang – it’s capable of considerable poise when it comes to your more delicate tunes and, of course, its transparency is great for helping you create music too. Casual Mac music listeners are likely to feel a bit overwhelmed, however."

What's the point? Thanks for giving us two photos of the speakers, courtesy of studio photographer somewhere. Just my 2 cents. Maybe I'm just being the elitist ass that I am, but without measurements and proper knowledge of other/proper hifi and speakers people just should NOT write reviews :)