1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Desktop Withdrawal!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 22 Jul 2013.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hey guys,

Having sold my gaming PC (some of you may remember it!) as it was too large and way overpowered (if there is such a thing :thumb:) for my current needs at uni, I am now in desktop/tinkering withdrawal!

My plan is to slowly over the period of time build myself a PC to be used as a media server/player/HTPC/uni worker!

I will go through the basic requirements.

Size: No larger than MATX- I love the silverstone FT03 so this would be my ideal case. This needs to be able to travel with me to and from uni and must not take up too much space in my room.

Budget: As little as possible. I want it to last me as long as possible but I am aware it isnt going to be some super monster of a machine! Just want it to be quick enough and powerful enough to do what I need. It will also be built over time so as and when I can pick things up. Ideally not much more than £500-600

Required Parts: Everything apart from a KB, mouse, monitor and OS.

Preferences/Special requirements:
    *Quite like to OC where possible so unlocked processor and room to upgrade/develop the build as and when required!
    *Also want a SSD as a boot drive and probably a 1TB drive for storage etc.
    *USB3 is a must!
    *Quiet running and power friendly as will likely be left on 24/7.
    *Intel only really, just a personal preference, not out of rivalry.

Let me know what you guys think. I will start speccing one up as soon as I get in from work.

Cheers guys!
    Matt

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

I'm gettin grid of my current rig aswell, downsizing to mITX again, as I'm not playing games anymore.

If you plan on using a small dedicated GPU like the HD7750, then Ivy Bridge will perfectly do, but for the integrated GPU a Haswell is a no-brainer. I wouldn't opt for the AMD A10, allthough the iGPU is more powerful, but the CPU is lacking.

3. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Any ideas?

4. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Well if you don't mind buying second hand you can save a lot of money. I'd recommend buying a new motherboard though. A core i5 2500K costs around £95 second hand. A good mITX board like the Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI costs £103.99 from ocUK, and 8gb of second hand RAM can be had for about £30 or new for £50 depending on speed etc. A GTX 650 Ti costs about £100 and will offer pretty decent performance, unless you need max on all games it's frankly good enough. If you like the FT03 the FT03 mini is also a great case, and costs about £100-£120. The FT03-mini needs an SFX PSU, and the ST45SF-G is pretty much the best choice, which costs £83.34 from Scan. A 1tb drive costs about £50+. Also a SanDisk Pulse 64gb costs £45, and if you want to you could add something like a Zalman CNPS8900-Quiet. With the cooler it comes to about £615. The only problem is the board doesn't support voltage increase, you'd have to add another £60 to get an Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe, or you might be able to get one for around £100 second hand.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

i got a headache reading this because its a massive block of ouch.

On taking my time and a few paracetmols later However I concur with getting second hand i5 2500k and case