1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Detailers of BT, I need your help

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 27 Jul 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

As I said Plastx is incredibly fine compound. It is designed to deglaze headlights and things like that, not to buff out large scratches. You would need a tougher harder compound for that, and a proper mop (not a floor mop btw lol) and plenty of water or you would risk burning the plastic. I would just wash it, stick on a coat ot wax or something and then ride it.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i dont think a wax is going to do much for this, i might try a heatgun on it to bring the colour out

[​IMG]

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Gtechniq C4 trim restorer, gets rave reviews i have a bottle on order for my car trims

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

holy **** that's pricey, reading seems good but i don't know, still its cheaper then a new £400 fender. i might order some

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ordered a bottle of Gtechniq C4, should arrive in time for the weekend, can you polish on top of this stuff or will that simply strip it off?

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

I work with metal not plastic but...

Are you washing thoroughly between each grit? All it takes is one loose grain of the previous paper to get trapped and you'll make deeper scratches than you'd think possible. Which scratches will require you to go back a grit and work them out, before moving back up. The softer the material the worse this contamination scratching is - not to bad with platinum, a pain in the hoop with silver, it must be bloody murder with plastic.

My only other advice is twofold; first just keep going up the grits (a product called micromesh is good too, but they don't use the standard grit system for numbering which can get confusing) depending on your chosen polish you may have to take it over 9,000. Joking aside, seriously you may have to take it up to a 10K grit to use your chosen polish I haven't looked at the product but some of them are for that sort of extreme finish... I normally stop off somewhere around 2k/5k but I don't then polish... I pre-polish.

Secondly, pre-polish. What you're doing doesn't fall in with the norm for "cleaning" a car/bike/trike/quad/automotive-vehicle-of-choice. I favour dialux (other polishing/pre-polishing products are available) but that's for silver/gold/plat/pall I can't honestly comment on how good their products are for plastics. Yellow first, then wash/scrub with a degreeser and soft cloth as it is a wax based compound - and finish with everybody's favourite.. beige. Or go for another product range - there are water soluble polish bases and all sort of other options, but I can only comment on what I know-ish.

This stuff will last you for-freekin'-ever but it's cheep enough eh?

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Why does that thing not have a gopro strapped to it? Ripping chunks out of the Welsh countryside causing muddy scars while that things roars along needs to be recorded!

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

funny you mention that as we're going riding down Devon this weekend. the C4 wont be here in time so i'm just gonna patch it over with some cheap back to black silicon for a few days.

9. legoman

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

**** thats good, once c4 is on can you wax/polish over it?

11. legoman

It doesn't say you cant no, it sinks into the plastic so should not be an issue with a wax over the top, ill give it a try tonight to see.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if you could that'd be legendary, once the colour is back id like to polish it to a shine.

13. legoman

Yeah no problem if hissing down out now so I cant, but im sure I have an engine trim I can do