1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex 3 in the works, gamers spooge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

It would be heaven if they could manage to make a game that could keep up with the first Deus Ex. Even now I still like to play it and allthough the graphics are out of date, the gamplay is still top!

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

let's not get our hopes too high, eh?

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'll probably play it when it comes out.. but honestly, I don't see this being any better than Invisible War.
    Without Spector or Smith on the team it's bound to lose something... maybe not, but...
    It just strikes me as yet another publisher flogging yet another dead horse.
    Most Deus Ex fans will agree that they dragged the Deus Ex name through the mud with Invisible War, and its dumbed-down nature was an insult to the intelligence of the original game's design.

Honestly, I hope it'll be a good game worthy of the Deus Ex moniker, but I don't think it will be.

(Yes, I'm aware that this is speculation and that we have no details on the game, but you can't blame me for not getting my hopes up after the disappointment of Invisible War)

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The only way this could possibly be worse than Invisible War would be if they didn't bother to code it well, made it multi-platform (dumbing the PC level down to match the consoles) and ripped the soul out of it just to make sure.

...oh... wait. :worried:

Ambivalence is the order of the day I think. I hope it'll be worthy to continue on Deus Ex (unlike Deus Ex: IW) but I'm not going to hold my breath.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Man i loved Deus Ex. I played through it again a month or two ago and found another thing I'd never spotted before; that you could kill the gravekeeper before the attack to get extra dialogue, and that there was a phone conversation you could have with Icarus earlier in the game than you would normally, in the french embassy.

I used to love tear gassing enemies and capping them with a stealth pistol that was fully pimped out. Hard enemies would require just one good tranq dart if you thought about it early enough in the game and got the crossbow ready. It was ace. I still go back to it now and then and impose restrictions on my game style to test it out - no augs, melee only, no sniper rifle etc. Great stuff.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Deus Ex was a great game, and also a great example of a game that gives the impression of real player choice when there actually wasn't any. Whilst character creation and development was quite open ended, the actual path through the game was essentially linear: variations basically boiled down to dialoge chances and the presence, or lack of, boss fights. Granted there were three endings, but until the last area the level structure was totally linear.

The real impressive thing is: it didn't matter one iota. Playing it, you really got the feeling of open-endedness, a real sense of doing it 'your way', and not feeling like you were following any pre-defined path. Almost all the choices you made you made because you wanted to, even if there was in reality only one choice. Just goes to show you don't need Morrowing to run around on to have a sense of open endedness.

Fingers crossed the third one lives up to the standards of the first. I remember all the buzz about the second one, such technological features of real time sound processing that actually worked out if you were hearing a sound directly, or through a wall, or around an object, and adjusted levels, clarity and direction accordingly. Shame the game just didn't grab me all that much, played it a bit, got distracted by something else and never went back.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

With the state of Deus Ex 2, I don't hold out hope at all to be honest.

9. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Best title ever.

Includes the word "spooge"

10. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

how wierd I was just listening to the Kidney Theives who featured in alot of the music in Deus Ex 2 and started thinking I wonder if there are plans for a Deus Ex 3!

They must have a rss feed into my brain!

11. monkeybone

monkeybone What's a Dremel?

Here's a rough translation of what he said.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i feel good and bad at the same time, this can either be another epic game of another epic failure, i hope it is the first.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Something tells me that "spooge" is the word du jour at BitHQ (see Tim's title...). Actually, I had no idea what the word meant until I looked it up...ewww

As for Deus Ex 3, I was sooo disappointed by the second game that I very much doubt that I'll be playing the third game - unless they do a complete about face and actually make a game that is a true and worthy successor to the original.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the only thing i liked about the second was the graphics...... and physics...... the rest was crap.

especially the unified ammo thing!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

15. CardJoe

Yeah, unified ammo sucked, though I liked the addition of 'unique' weapons, some of which were so well hidden it was ridiculous. The weapon mods aon the other hand were far to frequent to be rewarding, the opposite of the original.

16. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

In defence of Invisible War... (GASP)

1- The story was pretty good, at least for anyone with an affinity for weird ass sci-fi melodrama like me. Even if your character has got as much emotion as a plank; much like the first one. It reminded me of the 'story' in Alpha Centauri...

2- You can buy it for like £3 in cex or gamestation and have a good 10 hours fun out of it. If you liked no.1 then it's worth it just for the plot.

3- Playing it on the Xbox (probably where it's supposed to be) gives you some adequately cool graphics. But the load times suck.

4- It's a better FPS stealth game that Thief:deadly shadows; that is one shoddy game on the Xbox.

5- How could ANY game live up to the legacy of the original? No chance.

6- Yeah unified ammo was a pretty weird idea, but at least it forced you to think in a different way about blasting everything. What if you needed enough ammo to rocket some doors out of the way later? I dunno, it wasn't that bad an idea was it?

So whats no.3 going to be like? Oblivion? I heard one of the ditched ideas for the first one was that you would be able to build up a base of operations; that's got to go in. Though it might detract from the constant rush of new locations to go to all the time. More to the point, where's the story going to lead to?

17. CardJoe

It was that bad an idea, because it served no purpose. In a normal game the same effect can be done by making some ammos less present than others.

As for thief, I found it played fine. Granted I did it on the PC, but I quite liked it.

18. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Oh great; another great franchise having nothing to do with it's roots. Pass the fallout 3 please :(

19. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

Loved the first one, as people have said, it feeled like it was open ended, well, with out being, i used to sneek around a lot with an highly upgraded stealth pistol, and use that for most of my killings, but later on in the game, ammo was not as common for it, so i had to find other means killing, its why i did not get along with the second one, as the ammo system was a total arse, guess we will have to wait and see how this turns out, im off to look for my copy now and give it another go :)

20. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Deus Ex 1 was original and amazing in every way, even the graphics weren't THAT bad, were they (but that could be the fact that I'm not really a graphics person, I prefer good gameplay).

Haven't tried Deus Ex 2 but shall have to see, who knows maybe i'll be pleasantly suprised.

Tags: Add Tags