1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Deus Ex Human Revolution: Freezing & Crashing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Adnoctum, 24 Aug 2011.

1. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Is anyone else having issues?

The game will freeze for up to 20 seconds and either resume or crash altogether. This can happen in level, while the levels are loading, or in the inventory screen.:wallbash:

I'm running from Steam, so latest version should be applied (someone has said there is already a patch). Any solutions?
    I'm running DX11, Tessellation & Full FXAA and there isn't a framerate issue with these settings.

EDIT: Also level loading is P A I N F U L L Y S L O W even though running with multicore CPU from a SSD. CPU usage during loading goes from mostly 0% to a blisteringly high 5%. Certainly makes use of all those cores!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'll get back to you in 30 hours when the game's unlocked for us Brits and I've had a play.

3. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Don't want to rub it in for those who have a bit longer to wait, but...it is sweet!
    Playing it gives me flashbacks to the original, especially atmospheric music, but also the look and feel of the world. Not that I've gotten very far, just past the introductory how-the-movement-and-combat-works level.
    And it looks very pretty with the setting at their highest.

Not so thrilled with the cover system, but perhaps it will get easier as I get used to it.

Also realised I should have given appropriate system info:

W7Pro 64bit
    Catalyst 11.7
    Steam

I can see that I have aquired a .mdmp dump after the crash, but I no longer have Visual Studio installed to view it. Not that I could have fixed the problem myself.

4. .//TuNdRa

System info? I really doubt you're actually running it on an Amiga (Despite how awesome those systems were)

Could try the latest Catalyst drivers, there's the chance that the "Crossfire fix" for Deux Ex might help you out there.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

a blistering 5%... lol

6. DaveODeth

DaveODeth New Member

No one using the vpn trick to play now then, relatively easy to do aswell.

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

No Crossfire so don't have to deal with that headache any more (although it's not as bad as it used to be)!

The current DEHR build is 1.1.620.0. I've updated to Catalyst 11.8 and there is some improvement. The game still freezes as frequently (every 5 minutes or so) but it doesn't last as long (about 10-15 seconds) and no complete crashes yet.

There doesn't appear to be a mid-release hotfix for 11.8. I'm tempted to untick the DX11 box and see what happens.

Saw this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1656491
    So...not isolated incident. Makes me feel a bit better! Misery loves company.
    I love the rage from Solehk on posts #55 and #56, who has issues and declares the game a badly coded lemon ("Waa! I want my money back! Waa!"). LOL, as if it is the first game that has ever done this. The console-queen should go back to his uni-platform of choice if he doesn't want release day PC issues, only they aren't so bug-free themselves.
    Seriously, I've suffered worse issues with games *cough*GTA4*cough* that have been major pains to get working *cough*6hrs of Internet research and screwing around with W7 compatibility modes before I could start some Niko-flavoured mayhem*cough*.

8. dave_salmon

dave_salmon New Member

Ignore.

Misread the second comment. I see now.

Bleedin Americans getting it two days early.

9. .//TuNdRa

I know right?

Anyway; I'll still get back to you at around 3AM UK time Friday, if all goes to plan, although I'm hoping being on Nvidia might save me some of the pain.

10. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I am not exaggerating for effect. It is that bad. And that is 5% across all cores of course.

It has been quite some time since I've experienced such poor level loading times, especially in the last year since my gaming system has had a SSD big enough for both OS and games. And it isn't a sleepy Kingston drive either, but an Intel X25M which should result in a 20-25% reduction in game load times over a fast mechanical HDD.

It is so bad I am now reduced to actually reading (!!!) the game tips during the loading screen instead of idly wondering what was written as it flashed past and worrying slightly that it might have been an important gameplay element I had missed.

For all the issues that I'm having with it, I'm loving the first level as I take out targets with my handy tranq gun. Sounds awfully like the first level of another Deus Ex game, but without the crossbow >sadface<.

Ha Ha Ha! Nope.
    For one, it is an AMD "Gaming Evolved" game, so it is probable more work was done on AMD hardware.
    Also if you follow the link in my post above you'll see that Nvidia users are having issues too.
    In all likelihood, you won't have a problem. For a new game release there doesn't seem to be too many issues yet, and it doesn't appear to be a borked release.

You prompted me to look at the release dates for DEHR, and it appears that I shouldn't be able to play the game in my region until tomorrow. Thanks for the screw up Steam, but I'd prefer US pricing over US release dates!
    Because the US$ is in the toilet, I if I was to buy now I would have to pay 50% more than those in the US do. However I got in quick and pre-purchased in US$ - 10% pre-purchase discount before Steam could remember to jack up the prices to local rip-off levels (MW3 is on Steam for what would be US$105 or GB£65. More like US$125 for console version at EBGames. How many of you would pay that much for MW3? Yeah, I didn't think so).

11. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

got the game on my desk and can't play it ... FU Steam :(

12. .//TuNdRa

27.25 hours to go. God dammit I'm going to have to sleep in.

I've had the whole game pre-loaded for two days now, I pre-ordered for the TF2 stuff (Just because.) And now I'm just waiting for it to unlock.

13. DaveODeth

DaveODeth New Member

You lot do know you can play it now right with a few bits of trickery.

14. .//TuNdRa

A few bits of Trickery that Steam could ban you for, or Square Enix themselves could bust you for. I'm aware it's not -technically- violating the EULA, but I'd rather not risk it. I'm too fond of my steam-games to risk getting banned.

15. DaveODeth

DaveODeth New Member

Square enix could do exactly **** all. As for steam banning a paying customer, well I can imagine a business like that just thriving....

Oh and sued into next week to as it's not a violation of the TOS. buying a game however.

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Problem solved! Don't quite know what I did but my brilliant and mad computer skills did the trick. No more freezes.

I unticked the DX11 box, loaded the game, recoiled in horror at the result, reticked the DX11 box and everything has been fine since. Yeah, I don't get it either, but something happened.

Finished first level. Very happy. I, along with many DE fans, was worried about Eidos Montreal developing the DE brand, but so far so good.
    Floppy characters in cut scenes are distracting though. Maybe everybody in the future suffer from Parkinson's disease or Sydenham's chorea because they twitch and flap their limbs like mad while talking. Or maybe they are a bunch of alcoholics with DT.

Edit: Sorry if this has been posted previously, but has anybody used the Deus Ex: New Vision mod? It is an environmental enhancement mod for the original Deus Ex with HD textures. Has anyone used it with Steam? I have the original retail CD but I may have issues installing using it after all these years.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2011
  17. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I've been playing around with New Vision, works fine with steam. Though setting it up to use the DX10 renderer does not play nice with the steam overlay (for me, at least) - You can just launch the game from the .exe to avoid that.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've got pretty much the same Amiga so hopefully it'll play for me as well as it does for you.

19. nightblade628

nightblade628 Member

Yes, DX11 and especially Tesselation have apparently given lots of people headaches, especially Nvidia users. And yes, I'm in the same position, here sits the game that taunts me so, I can't even install the bloody thing.

20. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon New Member

Tags: