1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex: Human Revolution gets in-game adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Sep 2011.

1. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Didnt get this game on release because cancelled the pre-order from an UK store due to the region locking thing. Now that lock was solved, was expecting the price to drop.
    And now this comes...

I am ok with advertising in the ingame billboards, totally object to advertisings in loading screens.
    I see a mod already exists to kill the ads, thats nice, but why should I pay for an ad-delivery tool?
    Especially with the backlog of games I still to have play\finish?

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Sadly so.

I do, very much, thanks!

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

He said he couldn't buy it ;) not that he couldn't play it.

4. runadumb

runadumb New Member

+2

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Next: ad breaks in DVDs.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm absolutely outraged by something and will never ever do thing X because of this! If some amount of people agree I'll also send a hugely angry letter somewhere!!111

7. Roskoken

Roskoken New Member

oh well, best grab the torrent for it instead.

8. Yorkie

Yorkie Active Member

Got to agree, with alot of what has been said, I was lucky :hehe: enough to finish the game before the patch, from what it seems.

But I have to laugh at the Rage in this thread, about a small ad in the corner of a loading screen.

Seriously Deus Ex HR is an extremely good game and I would recommend it to anyone and one tiny thing that does not detriment the game should not be a reason to miss it, or pirate it.

Internets is Srs Bsns

[​IMG]

9. metarinka

metarinka New Member

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/08 not quite the same but I felt it fit. not buying the game over tiny ads in the loading screen would be really missing out on a great game experience. It's not like Adam Jensen where's a Gucci coat, and oakley sun glasses

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Well-Known Member

I love the game but I object to paying for a game and then having it altered to serv me adds so they can make further profit from my purchase. This is a single player game, there are no online services (that I know of) that need to be maintained to support the service like there would be in a mulitplayer game. So the adds are purely for Square Enix to further profit from the initial sale, much like DLC is these days.

This is my objection to this move.

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

12. Shabing

Shabing New Member

Meh, I've noticed the ads as much as I noticed it didn't have ads.

If I'd have noticed the ads, I might be annoyed. But probably not. I don't get annoyed at ads at the start of films, or in between tv shows. I ignore them.

13. Canon

Canon Reformed

And there was me thinking this game was a big ball of pretentious crap with a yellow filter on EVERYTHING. Turns out it's the depraved money grabbing, no excuses made for shite that we usually get. Well played.

14. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

I think ssd makers should advertise on the loading screens:

If you were using a ssd, you wouldn't be seeing this for as long :D

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Fine, you didn't pay for them.

People are paying for the game. Would you object if you bought a DVD and there were ad breaks?

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Corporations have few, if any, morals. Foisting adverts upon us is a very minor thing that they can do, and they've done it in the most subtle way possible, even if they were in the actual game on billboards it wouldn't be a huge difference.

Count your blessings, they can do a whole lot worse. The game is still unspoilt, the publisher's reputation is slightly tarnished, and all you can do is whinge about is how it affects the quality of the game? Complete bull, the game's still freaking awesome.

TL;DR Quit your whining, we got a free patch with a non-existent inconvenience.

(Also, buying a DVD with ad breaks is non-analogous to this, the ads do not prevent you playing, or affect anything at all, other than your own, very specific, perceptions.)

Last edited: 18 Sep 2011
    Yorkie likes this.
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It's an unwanted intrusion into my gaming time that I didn't ask for. That said, I'm not going to froth at the mouth and refuse to play it, either.

18. gosh

gosh Member

i paid for this game though, installed a bought legal copy on my personal home computer, i do not want 3rd party advertising content being sent to and displayed while i am gaming. this noad patch sounds handy and i'm sure as hell blocking deus ex's internet access in my firewall but unobtrusive or not i can't believe that they have done this - seems like a slippery slope if it takes off.

as mentioned i'm not gonna refuse to play the game and i'm sure as hell not gonna condone or justify piracy because i'm not a selfish overprivledged whiner but considering the game has no online component or upkeep costs other than the odd patch over steam i am somewhat appalled they chose this game to pioneer an in-game ad system we certainly won't have seen the last of - free multiplayer servers fair enough but don't detract from my singleplayer fun.

19. metarinka

metarinka New Member

I think this is being blown out of proportion. Not the first game to do it and it's not particularily invasive. The load screens were so long I tended to go grab a cup of water or something

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

This just reminds of the rage face reaction of when BF:2142 had ads. It was slightly different in that scenario as when you bought it (yes, physically) you where greeted with a nice little sheet of paper on the inside of the case stating its ad laden goodness. It said nothing on the outside of the case that it had ad support. This was EA's shenanigans (and still is) and people loved to rap on them.

Point being is that people raged, cried yada yada. Its a game set in a future realistic world, even if the ads where on billboards its not really that intrusive. In fact most make people feel connected more to game that has relevant ads.

It would be a different story if they had ads that were in a jungle setting pasted all over the trees. I'd say just pick your battles and if you feel strongly enough about it dont buy or support their software. You do have a choice in the matter...

Tags: Add Tags