1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2011.

1. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

If it did anything, it didn't stick in my memory.

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Thanks. I am just glad you liked it. Have this on pre-order and looking forward to it.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm glad I pre-ordered this, it looks like I won't be disappointed. Roll on Friday!

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

To a ten year old.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

See below. Adjustable FOV - in game, Directx11 and anti-aliasing. Good stuff.

Have to say looking at screen shots from other reviews it is does not look as bad as the screens here look.

GameSpy:

Let's get into the nuts and bolts of the PC version of the game. What specific features set it apart from its console counterparts and make it a game that's truly designed for PC gaming?

Julien Bouvrais:

First off, Nixxes developed a DX11 renderer that is used on the PC, when available. We did leverage this by adding several features you will see when you have DX11 hardware on your PC: real-time tessellation, improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, improved blurs and depth of field. We also added custom support for AMD's Eyefinity (multiple monitors), and 3DHD. On another note, the user interface has been tailored for the keyboard, and mouse controls can be fully customized for your gaming habits.

Jurjen Katsman:

We did quite a lot of work on anti-aliasing as well. We offer various anti-aliasing options to gamers to choose from depending on how powerful their hardware is. They really help smooth out rough edges that you can see more easily on a PC monitor.

Technically, little details that we believe PC gamers will appreciate are additional options to customize the gameplay, like adjusting the FOV, and disabling the reticle.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

adjustable fov
    disabling the reticle

**** i had an orgasm when i read that, the rest is a bonus. CMON FRIDAY!

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I was planning on waiting to get this until some sale came along, but after reading a few reviews I'm not to sure..

On the one hand, it's SP, so I don't have to worry about missing out on getting unlocks and everything and being behind when playing against other people. I also spent a fair whack of money already this summer (damn Steam sales..).

On the other hand, it's Deus Ex!

A question though: does anyone know if Steam will keep their 14% discount and TF2 bonus items available until Friday for the game's journey across the Atlantic on its electronic boat of fibre?

8. Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect What's a Dremel?

Could you go into more depth on the game mechanics? There where quite a few things that they where monkeying around with that didn't sit well with me. Things like:

Inventory system: is it a carry capacity that you can fiddle around with until you get "your" loadout, or just another IW style "you have five slots" thing?
    Skills: these defined the whole game in the first one, but haven't been mentioned here. Can you still tailor Adam's skills to what your playstyle is. IE, rifles vs pistols, explosives vs lockpicking, etc? Are augs the only way to personalize?
    Melee: seriously? This is gone? No dragon tooth sword for smashing security cameras and doors? No baton for silent nonleathal takedowns? This would also mean you can't bust things up in search of supplies, right?
    Health and bioelectricity: how do you recharge the augs? Is sitting in cover the only way to heal? Are there still location based damage models, like shooting an arm to affect weapon accuracy?
    Weapons: are there different types of ammo for each weapon so a gun can serve multiple roles? How about weapon mods? For that matter, what are the weapons?
    The vending machines: do they have orange or lemon lime?

There's probably more I'm forgetting about, but basically, don't spare the details.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

- Inventory is like ye old where you need to arrange everything so it fits tetris style, capacity can be increased with strengh augs iirc

- your augs are all you can enable but they do effect things like movement and accuracy (theres a brilliant plot note as to how the system works)

- the only melee ive seen so far (preview build) is takedowns, but by god they are satisfying

- you have several batteries for augs with only the last one recharging, its damn slow but can be upgraded

- there is a healing aug ala DE1 but again its rediculously slow, dont expect it to save your life in combat, ammo is scarce so i tend to aim for the face a lot so ive no idea about specific hit boxes.

- there are weapon mods which happily up damage and attributes.

- no idea on vendin machine selection but they're great offensive weapons.

10. RichardC

Inventory: It's a grid on which you can rearrange things, like the first one. There are upgrades to give you more space, and by default, it's pretty tight, especially when weapons like the Heavy Rifle are added.

Skills: No. It's all done via augmentations, but there are a lot more and you don't have to pick and choose for each slot. You just add whatever bits you want, at the expense of having points to spend elsewhere. If you don't do the side-missions, you'll be really short on them. If you do, you'll likely be out of stuff that makes a big difference long before the end. There's no lockpicking per se, just lots of hacking.

Melee: Seriously. No regular melee at all except for the charged takedown (unless I missed something). It's very odd, and the game is pretty stingy on ammo, so does lead to a number of bits where you just stand around while an enemy tries to blast your face off.

Health/Bioelectricity: The basic idea is that a bit of it recharges on its own, but you need to use consumables to fill it all the way up. Your bio for instance will only recharge one block of itself, regardless of how many you have, so you'll never be able to cloak for more than a few seconds or do more than one takedown without having to wait on a recharge. Eating an item will fill up more, depending on what it is.

Weapons: There are mods for the guns, but only one ammo type for each. With the exception of mines, which work by giving you an empty mine that you put a grenade into. Can't remember the full list off hand, but they're pretty standard weapons - pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, heavy rifle, etc. I stuck with the pistol as my primary for most of the game, with as many upgrades as I could find, and it was a death machine.

Vending machines: They don't have Coca-Cola. That's all that counts.

11. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Big question for me is: can you save anywhere?

12. RichardC

Yep. Auto, Regular and Quick. Though Quicksave is disabled in at least one boss arena for some silly reason.

13. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'm reading through your replies to Waynio and to be honest I find them quite annoying, if you're just gonna type 5 words and not justify them then this isn'y the place for you.

I find it quite amusing, not sure if it could make its place in Deus Ex...Lol...

I was going to preorder the game, I couldn't bring myself to do it when I heard alot of comments saying that it'll be a car crash blah blah blah, but after reading this it seems like more of a shock that it was that good...Hell...I may even pick up the originals at lunch today...

14. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Don't usually buy a game on release.Normally wait for the first patch at least. Steam/Game sale at most. The reveiws I have seen are very positve and I do have my birthday comming up soon. So may treat myself.

Only what version to buy!?

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Best gameplay question ever: Do they have orange or lemon lime?

edit: that should be in the podcast on friday.

16. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Thanks. Yeah just found out about this so-called extra mission with Tong, can't believe that you need the augmented edition for it! I wonder if it will available as DLC for standard edition?

17. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Holy sh$t, three page review... Nuff said!

18. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Wait what? There's no melee? But...but the dragontooth sword was my favourite weapon in the original. Use it, the strength, armour speed and health mod and you were a super killing machine. How disappointing its gone :(

I have this pre-ordered and (just by coincidence) I'm off work next week. Hope it lives up to the hype.

19. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Wtf, you can use the baton for non-lethal takedowns in Deus Ex??? I thought it was just for opening crates.

I am currently in the early stages of a non-lethal playthrough and have been struggling along with tranq darts and stun prod... Oh well, you live and learn.

20. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

PRESS X TO WIN!!!!!!

Seriously, can Bit-Tech please play the game right the way through, and then tell us when the cinematic, non-interactive take down cut scenes get boring.

Tags: Add Tags