1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Deus Ex Human Revolution steam - FPS issues

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by qndzi, 22 Jun 2012.

1. qndzi

qndzi New Member

Hey there fellow techies,

Just wanted to say Hi, as i'm newly registered user but long time reader, now to the point :)

So i bought fore mentioned game on steam sale, well now. My PC is beefy, boasting GTX 670 windforce (304.48 drivers), 2500k @ 4.6, Gene-Z and 8 GB of corsair vengance however running this game broght me some unexpected problems...

First startup with every eye candy it had to offer in 1080p welcomed me with 0.7 FPS just on logo screens and after having enough time for a sandwich the intro to the game didn't get any better, doodling around with settings and resetting to default and running to intro sequence fixed the issue, after exiting and cranking it up to maximum again it worked perfectly that is untill 10 minutes in the game when my framerate was jumping like bunnies on crack cocaine from 0.7 while staring at the wall to 60 (V-sync) while jumping around shooting inside a burning room

That leaves me baffled, anyone else with similar problems?

2. Bubblejunk

Bubblejunk New Member

Having same problem, too lazy to wait for intros to go over.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That happened to me with Sniper V2 on Steam I had to leave it to slide show through the splash screens and it was fine once it reached the menu. Never did it again afterwards.

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Well-Known Member

sadly i get this issue with human revolution. i am playing happy as larry and all of a sudden it drops to 1-2 fps. oddly if i alt tab out and then click back in via the task bar it clears. it happens at very radom intervals but can be frequent.

i have had this issue on two different gpus and 2 different drivers versions so my guess is a dodgy patch from the developer. did all the standard steam integrity checks etc. very annoying.

5. silky

silky New Member

My first suspicion would be somethiong running in the background. YouTube often is a culprit. You got anything running in the background?

p.s. 4.6ghz!! wow! You use water cooling? Wish I could go that far.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

With that chip, 4.6 is easily acheivable on air with a decent cooler.

Have you checked if you av scan is running in the background?

Do you have the latest drivers? If so, perhaps try the previous set of drivers to rule them out

7. Draksis

Draksis New Member

That is just say one thing to me: Windows CPU priority. There's a background app that's demands more from your CPU (or technically memory or GPU) that kills the game. When you alt+tab, this reshuffles the priority list. Used to happen with Prototype until I set the priority in task manager to "Above Normal"

Also check whats running as well as the game (AV scans, backups, etc). Also check if you can the same issue less/more than before if you run the game just after the boot, as opposed to much later on when you've played other games/programs,etc

/2cents :thumb:

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Well-Known Member

Will that CPU priority be permanently set to above normal or only while the EXE is running, am I going to set to set the priority every time? I did wonder if its AV related, Avast has been fairly finicky recently however normally I can see from the console if it's scanning or holding an EXE or other file.

I have been wondering if Avast has been picking up on the in-game advertising that was said to have been patching in, although I confess despite looking both in game and at the load screens I have never seen any so wondered if that was only for certain countries.

I’ll give both a try, it’s annoying because no other game I have does this, and DEHR never used to either.

9. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Got steam version

I7950 + 680 sli get 0 problems game runs flawlessly on latest drivers

Not heard of any issues like this

Only thing I'd suggest disable overclock and see how it plays then.

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer New Member

This game is very sensitive to overclocks, can you set it to default clocks and see how it goes?