1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deviate's Project Log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deviate, 22 Jun 2003.

1. Foolio882

Foolio882 What's a Dremel?

Wow man, you are awesome... You just gave me a reason to switch from this POS case I'm using to my already modded and painted case. I love you, in a manly, straight sort of way.

Keep up the good work! :jawdrop: :thumb: and :rock: just about sum you up. Oh, and you look like the lead singer from disturbed :p

2. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

HEY, whats wrong with matrix cases ? :grr: :grr:

and thanks for ruining my shorts with those pics of yours :eeek: :worried: :naughty:

3. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

to foolio882:

haha, he does look like the singer from disturbed

4. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Congrats on the win :clap: :clap:

That 40's case looks good, did he say if he was going to make any kind of shroud to hide/mount the monitor better and give it an over all more authentic feel? and did u send him BT way so he can post a log and show us what he did and how he did it? :naughty:

sorry shouldt hijack. well done :thumb:

5. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Foolio882, I love you more. :worried:

Sol Badguy...didn't mean to sound like I was putting down the matrix cases. To be honest, I almost bought one when they first came out. I had these visions of rows of green leds behind the front bezel randomly flowing from top to bottom (like the matrix code). But I didn't know enough about anything at the time to do it.

What I meant by my comment...was that the case was basically just stock with a green cathode. Not much done to it. That's all. :thumb:

Jaguar_Infinity...thanks! I talked to the guy with the 40's cabinet and told him, and everyone there, about Bit. Not sure if anyone will come this way...but maybe. He did say that he was planning to cover the monitor so that it would blend in better. He actually did everything to install all of that system in that cabinet in a about a week and a half before the show. Not bad for the last minute. There was some more work he needed to do on the back side...but since it was against the wall you really couldn't tell.

Oh...and I've been told that I look like the guy from disturbed before....guess I must be "down with the sickness!" :rock:

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Ok...so I've ordered everything...and here is most of the parts:
    [​IMG]

Ok..so there you see (left to right beginning in back):
    MSI K7N2 Delta L motherboard
    Antec SmartPower 350Watt power supply
    80GB Western Digital Special Edition hard drive with 8MB cache
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
    2 D-Link ethernet cards
    1GB (2 x 512mb) Crucial PC3200 DDR RAM

The PSU and NICs are for other pc's that I will be networking with my new main rig. The motherboard is the one I won in the contest. Let's look at some of the goodies that came with it.

Here is the box:
    [​IMG]

And here are all of the things inside it:
    [​IMG]

So, we have the board itself, the manual (written in very good english I might add. I was rather disappointed in the quality of the manual for my ECS board), the motherboard back plate, the D-bracket, and a "rounded" IDE and floppy cable.

Here is a closer pic of the D-bracket:
    [​IMG]
    It's a pretty interesting thing. It has 2 USB ports, and also 4 bi-color leds. The leds create 16 different patterns that can be used to diagnose errors with the board and other components. Sorry...no picture of the leds...maybe once I get it installed.

Here is a shot of the back plate:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice that there are 3 holes for the onboard audio (which I will disable since I have my audigy), the normal ps2 connections for mouse and keyboard, 4 usb ports, 1 ethernet port, 1 parrallel port, and only 1 serial port. That's all fine...since I don't use the parrallel port or serial ports I have now. But one thing I wish would have been different is if there would have only been 2 USB ports and 2 ethernet ports. Then I could have had 4 front USB ports. Oh well...I guess I'll have to do something else to my case since I won't need all 4 of those USB ports up front. :dremel:

And here are the floppy and IDE cables:
    [​IMG]
    The box says "round cable". Well...at least they tried. I have to give MSI credit, they at least recognized that a lot of people are switching to round cables. Basically, these are standard flat ribbon cables with some cable braid on them to keep them "round". I won't be using these anyway.

So, I have almost everything. I'm still waiting on my Thermalright SLK-900-A and 92mm Panaflo H1A. Once that gets here....the installation will begin!

Last edited: 16 Sep 2004
  7. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Okay I'm about to begin my Side window today. So i'll put some pics up when I'm done.

8. Corleone

Corleone What's a Dremel?

Now THAT's a mod! Finally something else than the boring square-window-and-light mods I've seen too many times. I just regged here to say that this is the among the three most beautiful mod's I've ever seen! (can't decide wich is better than the other) ;)

9. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much Corleone! And welcome to Bit. :dremel:

10. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Deviate,

First, sorry for my bad english.... :p

Do you mind If I borrow your template and use it as a base for my own design. It'll have to be change to suit the size of my case and so forth so it's not just a copy. And my case is Chieftec DX.. so....

Thanks allready :) :D

11. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Dragosoft....your english isn't bad at all. In fact, looks like you're better at english than a lot of the "english-speaking" folks who live near me. :D

As long as you improve upon my design, I have no problem with you using it. You might want to check out ynema's design to make sure you don't get too close to his. But as far as I'm concerned your welcome to use mine. Thanks for asking. :thumb:

12. Dragosoft

Heh, my english is bad sometimes... thanks to all my two english teachers...

But hey... I learn more whole time...

And thanks for that permission... of course.. i do my own desing... but yours is very good base for that...

Let's mod.... :dremel:

13. Dragosoft

And i hope my friend borrow me his digicam...
    :lol:

And i think I try this my old case and buy new one when i got some money

14. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Btw, the UFO effect is much nicer with a CCFL down there :D

15. Dragosoft

I Agree...

hmm little bit cold here... -25C and i live in shore (+wind) :brrr:

16. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I would naturally have to agree. But I didn't have the extra cathode to use. Perhaps in a future version, I will use a cathode.

17. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

I actually use 2 CCFL's. 1 round one and a straight 30 cm one, arranged like a lollipop. Give's me much light to the sides and front, not a lot of light to the rear, but hell, I don't need it there.. =)

Garbach

18. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Beautiful effort Deviate. Makes the Lian Li look so much nicer. Have you considered e-mailing them some photos? :lol:

19. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Thanks dirtbiker. I keep saying that I need to take some really nice photos to really show it all off properly. But lately I just don't have the time or energy. Hopefully now that the holidays are over with I can re-focus. Not sure if Lian Li will be on my list of emails though. :D

I'm actually planning on starting a new project soon....I will be converting an AT case to ATX for my Linux box. It's running in a cardboard box right now.

20. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

will any old tungsten carbide cutters work i've been doing it all with disks :dremel: :rock: just wondering if it'll make it any easier. :)