1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deviate's Project Log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deviate, 22 Jun 2003.

1. millymog

millymog What's a Dremel?

if you could get someone to draw u the Japanese symbols and do those in the same manner as the window i think that would look very nice , don't translate it though so folks have to ask what it means ;)

2. Xarthan

Xarthan What's a Dremel?

any updates? :hip:

3. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Awesome work, very nice!! :thumb: you have given be a couple ideas :D

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Great work dude, I like it :D:D.. :rock:

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You could install a ducting system in the top of the case to draw out the back without spoiling the top window :)

6. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

bsodmike and Sc0rian: thanks for the comments!

phat: I have made a little more progress. I just haven't had much time to work on it lately. :waah: Instead of having the blowhole in the top, I cut out a second exhaust in the back (directly under the original exhaust). That seems to be keeping things cool enough.

I'll have some updates and new pics up soon. I have to get back to working on this thing since I'm supposed to be showing it off on November 1st. A friend of mine who is part owner in a Cybercafe is have a mod show/contest. Probably won't be anything big, but we are hoping that it might get people around here a little more interested in modding.

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Missed this log for a while. Looks awsome! Keep it up :rock:

8. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

This is some really nice stuff. The cuts and the cleanness is fantastic, Great work :thumb:

9. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Thanks ouija and FlashPanHunter.

Well...update time. Finally have some work done on it. Been putting it off (actually just taking a break), but I'm back on it. For today's installment, I have some electronic mods. Don't get excited, I'm not Zap or Macroman and anything like that. These are simple mods that I'm sure most everyone has done and if not at least seen.

First up is swapping the green leds in my keyboard for blue. No before pics since I think we all know what a green led looks like. :D This first pic is with the lights on and the flash just so you can see what my keyboard looks like. This is a compaq keyboard from a desktop system at work. I thought it matched my case pretty well, so I bought a plain black compusa keyboard and swapped it for this one:
    [​IMG]
    Please ignore the dust.

Here is the leds in the dark:
    [​IMG]
    I know it's really nothing big, but I was pretty happy at how this came off. The original leds were 3mm and I was using 5mm blues. I had to sand the new leds down some to get them to fit. But they worked! And they are dang bright too.

We will see more of these leds in a later installment, probably Monday or next weekend. I will be using some for a UFO mod.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2004
  10. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

What kind og leds did ya use?

11. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Normally I wouldn't have made this a seperate post, but this is a mini guide on how I have made a mini fanbus. I originally got this idea after seeing a fanbus at PCMods that was just larger than a quarter. Needless to say, mine is bigger than that. The whole purpose of this was to help cut down on clutter inside the case.

We'll start at the begining. Here is the board I will be using to mount things to:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that there are some holes that are larger. I drilled those out a little so that the wires could fit through them.

Here are the terminals that will connect the fan wires to the fanbus:
    [​IMG]
    I opted for the screw terminals because they seem to hold the wires in better that the spring terminals (like the one on speaker boxes).

Here are the wires cut to length:
    [​IMG]
    I plan to run 4 fans off of this bus.

This is the power connector that I will be using:
    [​IMG]
    That is the power connector to a floppy drive that I had that is dead. I really wanted to use a normal cd-rom or hard drive type connector, but I did not have one handy. This one will work fine.

Here are the terminals mounted on the board:
    [​IMG]
    To do this, I simply pushed the terminal through the board, and then put a blob of solder on each connector. This holds the terminals in place. Plus, this way I already have some solder there when I get ready to attach the wires.

Speaking of attaching wires:
    [​IMG]
    This is how I soldered the wires underneath the board. Notice that I slid a piece of heatshrink up on the solder connections. This was to make sure that I didn't have any stray solder or wire that might be able to touch another. Also in this picture you can see how I am tucking the wires back through the board.

Here are all of the wires soldered on and tucked through:
    [​IMG]
    This is what the undeside of the board looks like. There will be a piece of velcro covering the solder points so that they won't short against the case.

And here are all of the wires tucked from the top:
    [​IMG]

Next I bundled all of the red wires together and all of the black wires together and solder them to the appropriate connector on the power connector. I also put heat shrink on those connections. Here is what it looks like when done:
    [​IMG]
    Now I could put it in a small project box or what have you, but I will probably just leave it as is.

Here is how it will look with fan wires connected:
    [​IMG]

I don't have any pics yet of it mounted, but that will be soon. Next up and things to do: mount top red cathode, UFO mod, replace 92mm fan in the PSU with a red led fan.

12. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Crass, they are 4000 MCD blues from Chi Wing LED on Ebay. Here is a link to their ebay store. They are very good, very cheap, and the shipping and everything was superb. I even got 50 resistors to go with the leds at no additional cost. Highly recommend them.

13. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

If you're not putting the fanbus in a box or anything, make sure it doesn't come in contact with any metal of your computer...

14. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

For sure. It will be fastened to the back side of the drive cage with velcro. It won't contact any metal.

15. error.ini

error.ini What's a Dremel?

Wow, I love the design, and i'm a fan of tinting. Great work! Your sanding really paid off.

Question: How much was that tint, where did you find it and what's the %? I may just try tint again instead of smoked plexi.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2003
  16. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Thanks error.ini. I got the tint at Wal-Mart. It's 5% and it says Limo Extra Dark. Made by Axius. I don't remember exactly how much it was. But in that one roll you get 6.5 feet. I've had enough to do the side window twice, the top window and still have plenty left over. Frustrating stuff to do, but it definitely looks nice when you get it right. :lol:

17. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

looks uber nice :)

18. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Allright, Thanks a bunch mate :baby:

19. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

ModKid: thanks!

Here are some various pics of things that have been done. Here is the fanbus mounted:
    [​IMG]
    That is not the final version of my wire management. :lol: I'll work on that some after I get all of the mods done.

Here is the new 92mm red led fan:
    [​IMG]

And a close up:
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of the back of the case now. I have cut a second exhaust fan back there (the pc-60, at least mine, only comes with one):
    [​IMG]
    Since I no longer have a blow hole in the top, I felt like I needed the extra exhaust.

And a blurry shot of the back with no lights....I'll get a better one of these sometime:
    [​IMG]

20. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Looks sweet. I still love the look of traditional chrome wire grills :rock: