1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devolo and Solwise HomePlug kits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 29 Aug 2006.

1. MrSushi

MrSushi What's a Dremel?

There are only 2 sad facts about this technology:
    • All these Systems interfere with wireless communication in the house and often with Amateur Radio frequencies
    • They are quite easy to wiretap

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Not a bad bit of technology. I wonder how well it would work in a commercial environment.
    We have a few "offices" in our building that dont have network ports, basically they are partitioned offices to put people that were promoted to "managers" of made up departments to keep them happy.Drilling holls and runnign cables under the floor all the time is getting annoying. so it would be cool to just plug them into the wall or floor sockets. I am not sure though if the complexity of our power and alarm systems would block these sort of things.

3. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

One question ive always had about these things.. do they need to be plugged into the "master" socket, ie.. the wall mounted one, or can you plug one into a 6way extention (for example).

I'd love to use this at home, but the rooms in which i have PCs only have single wall sockets, and i have to use 6ways.

4. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Nope, you can plug them into a 6way and they will work fine.

5. puppy

puppy What's a Dremel?

An important aspect of these kits that wasn't covered I think - what is latency like? Is it possible to play online fps etc with this kit without issues? My current wired setup gives me a ping of > 10ms, and I'm curious to see how these perform...

6. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

right so how would you power it, a generator ? they don't produce a very smooth output anyway

My dad is the hi-fi freak in the house (I'm not allowed a dimmer switch :( and this would certainly be banned) he has Russ Andrews extension leads, the hi-fi has a special filter on it, and there are about 5 mains smoother's in the house too

even the fluorescent lights have digital starters, because they are much cleaner

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'd like to echo the question above about whether they work across separate ring mains - so could I plug one in downstairs and another in upstairs (different circuits) and have them talk to each other?

8. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

these things could come in handy for me ill read more about them ty for the review

9. pjwerdna

pjwerdna What's a Dremel?

The ones I have work fine like that. Much better than to wireless network connection I tried (a brick built house).

I did find I got a better connection speed if I plugged them directly into the wall socket (even via a multiway adapter plug), rather than into a 2m extension lead. There wasnt that much differance though, 10-15Mbits as I recall so the connection was reported as 65-70Mbits.

PS This was with the Devolo version. I later tried the other version when a collegue at work bought some and found them to connect slightly faster.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2006
  10. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Chances of these being "hacked" into by a next door neighour attempting to use one a set in his house ? (yes im being blonde)

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm so confused as to how these work.
    Anyone handy enough to draw up a diagram?

I just don't understand why you need two, and how you get the internet aswell?

12. pjwerdna

pjwerdna What's a Dremel?

You could try the Flash Advert on the devolo site.

13. Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin What's a Dremel?

You may mock but battery power for sources does happen in high end hi fi. My DAC (Pink Traingle DaCapo) had a battery version. The quality of mains power causes a huge headache so a battery that is being trickle charged is a solution, if a somewhat expensive and cumbersome one.

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Thanks! :blush:

15. Libero

Libero What's a Dremel?

Excellent point. I read terms like inherent security, but i have to ask, if there's no encryption set up, how do we know our data is secured?

I mean, if you lived in a terraced house, or flat, what's stopping someone from connecting / snooping your network by purchasing an similar plug?

Is the electricty meter sufficient in providing a barrier? surely that is the case if the electricty is switched off! but when the electricty is on, then the circuit has to allow "electricity" into the premises?

Now, perhaps i should have asked this question before purchasing the Solwise kit! ... On the up side, it was truly *PLUG 'n' PLAY*, i didn't even use the supplied CD, and so far, i'm very impressed, but i'd love to know more about the security implications.

Regards.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

very interesting advert...... me understands better. :D

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I believe that the way it works is that each circuit is normally not connected to other places. If you all run off one meter then its one circuit.

99% of flats have individual meters so have individual circuit.

18. mattyt

mattyt What's a Dremel?

I remember someone that had plugs based on this technology like, 4 years ago. You could use your PC to control on/off at a plug socket.

Not sure if he ever used it for anything more than freaking out visitors.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, that's X10 technology, which has been around for years. It's just serial control over electrical wiring.
    This is networking over electrical wiring, which is considerably more faster than X10. It too has been around for a number of years, but this is the first time that they are available with decent speeds (up until now, 14Mbps was the theoretical maximum available).

20. fingers

fingers What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags