1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeX's Ghetto Hovercraft

Discussion in 'General' started by DeX, 17 May 2003.

1. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Well I've been thinking about this for a while, the idea was to use a case fan to make a mini hovercraft. I decided to go for it using the only fan I have lying around which is an 80mm aluminium (I think - it's heavier than plastic anyway) fan which turns at around 2600rpm and only pushes 28CFM. Anyway here it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It requires a smooth surface such as my side panel to notice the effect. Unfortunatly there is still quite a lot of friction from the cushion because it's so uneven. Anyway it slides about more smoothly with the fan spinning than it does when it's not - so it must be doing something! :D All the pics show the fan spinning btw, the shutter speed was too fast to be able to see it though :p.

Mark2 will include this fan which is slightly bigger and has twice the air flow. I may even wire it to a 9v battery if it performs well enough. After that I'll think about a driving fan to make it move forwards. But most importantly I'm going to have to think of a better way to make that cushion than just an old Waitrose bag. :lol:

btw if you have any questions on how it works and stuff just ask.

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

thats sweet dude :p

have you got the cardboard bits held at a certain distance apart?

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Yes, you can just get a glimpse of the supports on the last pic showing the underside. I cut corners prectically everywhere on this thing I'm pretty stunned it works. The two bits of cardboard are held by four thin peices of card which are folded and stuck on each peice with selotape.

4. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

:thumb: Nice one... :hehe: But surely there must be something better you could be doing with your Saturday afternoon....

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

cool. you should have used an Aldi bag for extra Ghetto :rock:
    seriously tho, would it be better if you used a bag without the corners tucked in? and made the top platform bigger so that more air was forced into the skirt making a better cushion?

6. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

What do you mean by a bag without the corners tucked in? And do you mean, will it perform better if the top cardboard peice was larger relative to the bottom peice? I'm not sure exactly how the proportions will effect it but I think in general if the hovercraft is bigger then you can get more lift (up to a point of course).

7. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I've had the same idea :eeek: , but I have never put it to action. I thought I needed like six fans to get it to lift...
    That's great. What are you going to use it for? :)

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

at the bottom of some bags they tuck the sides in. you can see it in your third picture. Theres a sort of crease/fold.

If the top cardboard peice covered the whole footprint and the bottom peice was smaller.. hmm.. hard to explain:

.---------
    (_------_)

the blue bits are bag.

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

edit - oops. too many posts. why cant i delete my own posts?

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Ph33r my paint skillz lol :D

[​IMG]

11. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I think I get what you mean about the folds. Anyway if I do another one I will cut open a bin liner and carefully selotape it together so that it fits the shape of the hovercraft and somehow I'll try to make rounded corners and everything. There's not much I can do with a regular plastic bag.

here's my version of that little diagram and a short explanation:

[​IMG]

Air goes down through the middle. via a hole in the top peice of cardboard. The second peice of cardboard is held in place by some supports (grey lines) and that also has a hole in it directly below the hole in the top peice. When the hovercraft is starting up the second peice of cardboard is touching the floor so all the air is directed into the skirts, filling them up with air. When the skirts fill with air they lift the bottom peice of cardboard off the ground which allows some air into the bottom. This then gets pushed out underneath the skirts effectively lifting them off the ground. In reality the skirts probably don't totally lift of the ground but the friction is reduced quite a bit making it easier to propell forwards.

Last edited: 17 May 2003
  12. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

you should try black plastic pond lining from a garden supply or hardware store, its heavier but will hold its shape much better

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

dam you DeX you had to do a decent diagram didnt you dude :D ....[/tonguetwisting defence of my "special" paint skills]

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

put the fan a bit to the front, that way itll move forward withotu a proellor ;)

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

hmm.. this just gave me an idea.. i have planned to make a R/C hovercraft before.. never got around doing it though... mabye i'll try...

my plan:

First i make the "airpillow" with plastic bags.. and cardboard or something.. then use an old burned 92-fan.. take out the motor and put in a 540 sized motor.. (got a 17-turn one with about 33000RPM :thumb: )

hook this up to a RCsystem (wich i already have 3 of.. then use another fan for moving forward or backward.. then two servo controlled plates to steer the airflow as steering...

what you think?

:dremel:

16. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Jeez you certainly sound like you could do it. I wish I had all those parts - sounds great.

And monekyspank, yeah sorry, I thought that would annoy you :p. Felt like doing it anyway ;).

Bogomip (I still prefer JafferAB for somereason) I dunno if that will work. I'd like to try it but if it worked even worse than the in the middle design I'd have to do two new ones! :p

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I thought I'd have a go at this myself. Took an hour or so. I used an 80mm vantec tornado fan and I got an okay result :D I could push it and it would slide a fair way across my floor (laminate). Don't think it was truly hovering though cos it sounded a bit cardboardy on the floor. I then tried adding a couple more fans but with only one 9V battery it couldn't provide the amperage to make it worthwhile. Now it's in the bin :) This is a fun evening so far.

18. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Smilodon, I think you should use a fan mounted "på langs" with the hovercraft to turn it. Mount this on the front. When it turns one way, the front turns to the right, and when it turns the other way, the front turns to the left. You could even have one fan on front and one fan on the back, so you could rotate from one point. If you go with the plates, you'll have to use forward thrust to turn the hovercraft, thus giving it a larger turn radius.

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

But that's how real hovercrafts steer :lol: It's better if you make it like the real thing.

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well.. i just got a new idea.. the thrust will be constant.. then i'll make some sort of tunnel to get some of the air under the pillow... and some of it backwards...

and the two plateas behind that...

that way i'll get a pretty realistic model too..

i'll bring out the dremel tomorrow.. will let you know how this turns out.. :dremel: