1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeX's Ghetto Hovercraft

Discussion in 'General' started by DeX, 17 May 2003.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

i guess it's not the fan itself that pushes it forward.. just the weight of it... i think you could place a small weight in the front and get pretty much the same effect...

BTW... just took apart the fan... it didn't go quite as planned, but the main pieces are ok.. now i just need a safe method to mount the fan to the motor... (the most difficult part)... need to make some sort of adapter. the biggest problem is to make it stay together at wery high speeds...

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yeah, and once you get it attached I suggest you give it a long wire that you can unplug from a distance and put it under a clear plastic box or something in case it decides to shatter at you :) Fans can hurt you children, believe me. *NiHiLiST looks down to the shattered 120mm 138CFM fan that landed on his finger switched on*

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

got it all together now... the fan that is... the most difficult thing was to get it balanced so it wouldn't vibrate like mad... but it's ok now...

at about 3 volts it moves more air than two enermax fans... imagine at 8,4!

i can't test it at more than 3 volts for now as my batteries are flat and my lab suply is only 2.8amps... and at that current it is about 3 volts... i will post pics too.. but right now i can't find the camra...

oh.. and i have also mounted a fangrill on... i only had a 80mm (fan is 92) so i stringed and glued it on... almost better than the screews..

4. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

pffft Gh3tt0? Thats not Ghetto! I can make a hovercraft outta a piece of paper and a hairdrier :p

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

hmm.. ok.. you just got yourself a chalange (???) :hehe: :thumb:

6. mashie

mashie The one and only

I did one a year or so ago based around a 60mm delta screamer fan, worked really well on the wooden floor:

[​IMG]

Yes, I was lazy pulling the power directly from a computer :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

huh? But it's got no cushion... :confused:

I'm in the process of making a new one out of real cardboard this time. How does your one work Mashie?

Actually I see how it works, but anyway yours won't go on water :p

8. mashie

mashie The one and only

A cushion is only needed if you are planning to use it over a rough surface. As you see it is a thick frame facing the floor, the air is forced to go out between the frame and the floor, lifting the whole craft enough to make it float.

By the way, air pressure is much more important than airflow to get a good lift.

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

isn't airpressure directly related to air flow? (in terms of fans) Does that mean that a large fan is not neceserally better?

10. mashie

mashie The one and only

The normal 120mm casefans don't create much static preassure. What you want are noisy CPU fans, especially the kind that you are not allowed to connect to the motherboard headers due to too much power consumption. The 190CFM (120mm) Delta would be very suitable, got plenty of pressure and airflow.

11. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

I got one of those
    and a spare PSU

/me wonders off to find some cardboard

Mind you, I'd be scared it was going to chew a hole through the floor the damn things are so vicious !

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

ok guys! first testrun today..

mounted the fan thing in a plastic box. it's about two litres... it's about 20x20x8 cm... connected the RC system and glued (!!) it on top along with a batterypack...
    i quickly figured out that this would'nt work... the battery would make too much weight on one side.. so i put on a almost similar pack on the other side... :jawdrop: :thumb: :hip:

took it out for a test run.... complete success!! :clap:

it hoovered nicely over the ground... it did spin a bit uncontrolled around but it did move... this was on a a bit rough concrete plate.. tested it on some gravel too.. but it didn't lift enough to move.. but i could see the plastic box becoming a bit "rounded" because of the air pressure....

also.. the fangrill got ICING cold aswell :brrr:

Net stage is to make the airpillow and some cind of steering system...

13. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

I did that a couple years back with a 60mm delta scfeamer too, i used the top of a shoe box, worked a treat :D