1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DFI LAN party SLI-DR Expert

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Definitive102, 2 Oct 2005.

1. Definitive102

Definitive102 What's a Dremel?

Will this support AMD X2 when it comes out and also how do u enable SLI on these motherboards

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It should ship with a BIOS revision that supports Athlon X2s, as DFI nF4 boards will support X2s with a flash. As for SLI, it's controlled via software, i.e. the BIOS. More information is here.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

iiiinteresting... somehow, I didn't know this board had been released :blush:

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looks good, since you can get a chipset cooler on it now ;)

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I was wondering why there hasn't been any mention of it on these forums. It seems that the expert version is arranged in such a way that you also get an extra PCI slot, pretty useful I think.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I heard about the board a while back, but I didn't realise they had gone ahead and released it already.

7. Definitive102

Definitive102 What's a Dremel?

i said they released was just woundering if it would ship with a bios updater

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

It will ship with an up-to-date BIOS supporting the X2 processors. If it doesn't its easy enough to flash the BIOS - the X2 should still function as a single core processor until after you update the BIOS.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Finally DFI goes ahead and makes the much-demanded changes to the SLI-DR. It took long enough, but I think they officially removed any reason for watercoolers to buy the A8N-SLI-D.

DFI would be nuts to ship it without a BIOS version supporting X2's, but like bigz said it's easy enough to flash boards if you must.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm tempted to get one, just for the chipset/overclocking potential :)

11. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

I think this board is destined to become my new best friend :D :p

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

DFI Nforce 4 SLI-DR Expert

Well, most of us have known for awhile that DFI is preparing a new release of their famous Nforce 4 SLI motherboard. A few images have been getting out, and here is a final release photo

[​IMG]

The most interesting thing about the board (besides the layout adjustments) is the jumperless SLI capability that has started to show up on so many other boards. It looks like passive heatsinks will be useable with this board thanks to the wider spacing between the PCI Express slots (YES! :D ).

Other interesting things include the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors on the board (Which are normally features of server motherboards), and the new location for the RAM.

With this new design, Im concerned that crosstalk between the memory and back end communications devices may be increased, but then, the northbridge connector should be a bit clearer as well. This definitely looks like an interesting board. I look forward to bit-tech's review of this beast :baby:

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've already requested the board ;)

14. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I really wish they'd colour code that sodding front panel connector... other than that, looks like a significant improvement. Interesting to see the 8-pin connector there, must be to help with the new 4-phase power system.

Also looking forward to bit's review of this one :)

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Could you please test my hypothesis that the new design will support passive heatsinks? Its the number one complaint with the DFI NForce 4 series boards, and a portion on this would be much appreciated :)

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've plopped the image on the front page (even though I understand I'm a little behind on this one) :thumb:

I'll look in to it.

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Jumperless SLI is a great idea, but that's the only advantage I can see to this board. Spacing the cards apart more does not make it easier to water cool them, as you can't really use two standard blocks cos the barbs face the same way, not towards each other... plus, there are loads of SLI GPU blacks out that are made to the old standard, and these are actually more elegant than using two single card solutions.

The intergration of the molex and floppy power connectors is a good thing too!

Can't help feel that this is a tweak, rather than a new product... and that probably explains why DFI launched this so quietly. Not really a new board... just an update.

Tell you what... I wish they HAD made more noise!... I just bought a DFI NF4!!... :hehe: However... like I said above... even if I had known... I plan on adding another card in SLI, and watercooling them both, and this new SLI layout means two blocks that aren't designed to work together (barbs would not be facing one another), or waiting for a NEW SLI block to be released when Danger Den already make a nice SLI block for the NV78.... although this has a better layout, I probably would have still bought the old layout version.. even with it's crappy northbridge positioning.

I dount it's any faster, or the BIOS has anything extra apart from the SLI settings.

18. Go4t

Go4t i

bah after ive just ordered a sli-dr too :(

19. WizZard

WizZard What's a Dremel?

Yes, but now you can watercool the chipset easier!!! Or you can put a passive cooler (Zalman NB47J) on it whilst using two cards in SLi, which wasn't possible with the old SLI-DR.

I sold my SLI-DR last week in preparation for this board. ;)

When will this be on sale here though ? :confused:

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the point is it was basically impossible to w/c the chipset (or even fit aftermarket hsfs) on the standard sli-dr, which is a pain for those of us who want silence
    whiney little fans = bad
    not to mention its a crap hsf anyway, chipset is the hotest running part of my system now..