1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR hanging at initial BIOS screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gargoyle, 19 Dec 2007.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

Rebooted my surfing PC this evening and it now won't get past the very first DFI splash logo that comes up when you boot. Doesn't even get as far as offering me the BIOS options etc.

All I'm stuck with is a very pretty Lanparty nF4 graphic and bugger all else happening. All of the fans are spinning up okay and I can't see anything obvious wrong with the mobo itself.

I've tried reseating all the components, have done a CMOS wipe and tried a "safe mode" boot according to the Manuf. manual but it's just sat there doing the same thing. Any ideas or anyone seen anything similar? Gotta say this is a first for me.

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Most likely a bad component making it hang, pull everything except video card, ram and processor, If it still hangs, pull the video card and see if you at least get a POST. if not, put the vid card back in and pull something else... Though Ive had a system with a bad processor that would POST when it had no ram...

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have a look in the manual and see if it gives you any error codes (via the diagnostic LED's on the bottom left), that should eliminate (or help) with components.

4. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice. The manual hasn't proven hugely helpful but I've made some progress.

It would appear that the problem is my iPod nano. I'm not sure I quite understand how but if the nano is attached to the cable it won't boot. Hangs where I said in the BIOS. No matter what other combo of USB devices I use it's fine but as soon as the nano is added to the mix (or even if the nano is the only device) it hangs on reboot. If the cable's in and the nano is unplugged it's fine. If I plug the ipod in after booting it's fine.

This all feels very weird.

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

not too uncommon for USB devices to cause problems on POST.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thinking about it I had a similar problem with an Ipod nano on an NF3 board not so long ago - it wouldn't do anything but try to boot the iPod, which didn't really work... :p

Shame I didn't link the two...