1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards DFI mobo being failtastic

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sleepygamer, 14 Oct 2010.

1. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I have just about had it with this PC.

Just about to play some World of Tanks, start Winamp playing a song, sit back, and the computer shuts off. Oh dear, say I. In slightly more foul language. The power LED stays on, however, but it won't shut off when I hold it, and neither did the reset button. Curious.

I shut the power off at the plug and go eat some food. I return and try to power it up. The computer begins to start just fine and gets stuck halfway through the BIOS. Being a DFI board, there is an LED post code display! It displays something odd. The last digit is an 8, but the first didn't seems corrupted. Let me use the code tags.

Code:
    |_
    |_
    Followed by an 8.

Anyway, I power off at the plug again, as the power button fails to work yet again. Powering up this time only yields an 88 display. There is very little explanation of these on the internet, but most of it basically says that my motherboard or my BIOS is ****ed. I am going to try the usual deal of clearing the CMOS and reconnecting everything. However, on the off chance that the motherboard IS broken, what is likely to be the problem here? Northbridge, southbridge, CPU power phases?

My friend is loaning me a 775 based mobo, CPU and some RAM, so hopefully I'll have a functioning system soon. But is it work salvaging this thing if I can't get it to work?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good luck getting a replacement from DFI :worried:

Do the usual: check all the cables, check the memory slots, check the CPU seat and even solder joints on the BIOS chip, maybe.

3. sleepygamer

Whelp, I got the LGA775 stuff from my friend. Hooked it all up, pressed the power button, everything spins up, but I don't get any visual or BIOS beeps. Something tells me that the PSU may have died, but it's still providing enough power to spin everything up. I'm going to double check the wiring, of course, but this is suspiciously similar to what was happening when I tried to boot with the DFI board.

Damn damn damn damn damn.

I am rather cross right now. I don't have a spare PSU to hand, either.

Any ideas?

4. CyCoLeS

CyCoLeS If it ain't broke...give it to me

http://www.ocxtreme.org/main/?q=node/6 DFI debug codes (not that they will help)

had an issue with my DFI board a couple of months ago,.... power to board, all fans spinning but not booting...debug not displaying, and emailed them, got a response in 15 mins and it worked (for me) before resetting the cmos, only have 1 hd, ram, gpu installed - gpu in slot nearest cpu. UNPLUG from mains, reset cmos (min i minute) plug mains back in and power up for a few seconds then turn off, unplug and reset cmos again...do same process for 3-4 times. on final turn on go into bios (hopefully let you) and choose load optimized default....hopefully reboots and loads windows.

5. sleepygamer

While a useful thing that I will give a try, since the system won't boot with a fresh CPU, RAM and mobo, the problem is most likely elsewhere.

If it isn't the PSU, could a dead graphics card prevent the system from properly booting into the BIOS?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Without a graphics card won't the DFI board give you a post #?

I'd hedge it's a knackered PSU.

7. sleepygamer

Next time I gut the system to test, I'll try without a graphics card. I somehow doubt the situation will be much different.

Looking around for a new PSU to test with.

8. Krikkit

Not the easiest thing to find really, a high-spec PSU to borrow for a quick test. If I had a spare I'd hook you up, but no joy. :(

9. sleepygamer

Yeah. Thank you for the thought, however, my friend.

The friend I borrowed the mobo and gear from has a 1kw PSU, but it's in use powering the X58 system I set up for him.

He's pretty much the only dude around Cas I know that is into hardware.

I'll see if I can get a bit of cash up and get a Corsair VX or something.

10. Krikkit

Could you not borrow his for 10 minutes? You wouldn't even need to unplug his drives and fans and all that junk, just borrow the mobo connectors and leave everything else be.

11. sleepygamer

I'm intending on trying shortly. Lugging my gear over and stuff.

12. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I would see if it boots without the gfx card tbh, as it should boot without it and if it doesnt that rules it out :)

13. sleepygamer

No luck with booting minus the graphics card. On both motherboards everything spins and lights up, but I don't get post beeps or any sign of actual activity.

Soooooo... it's the PSU?

14. Krikkit

Sounds like it, you should get some kind of beep without a graphics card.

15. sleepygamer

I have bad luck with power supplies, it seems.