1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DFI SLI-DR Quirks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fivecheebs, 5 May 2005.

1. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Time is almost here to go A64. Im still on AXP at the moment and have had no experiance of NF3 or 4. What i hear is the DFI is undoubtably the king for overclocking, like it was with the lanparty Bs a couple of yerars ago. The only thing thats holding me back from making a firm decision is the odd quirks that socket A board suffered from. I was, and still am an avid NF7 user, for its overclocking (being good, but not quite as good as the lanparty without vmods etc) but mostly for its stability (truth be known the combination of overclocking options and stability)

How is the SLI board(s) for stability and quirks? Are there any renowned boards i may have overlooked that offer superior stability and still have reasonable control over the voltages etc that make overclocking more of a pleasure?

Im not scared of a bit of tweaking to begin with, but i dont want to be forever tweaking, or suffering from those cold boot problems or similar.

2. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

ive ordered this board also, but if you have any problems just goto www.dfi-street.com/forum there are DFI employees that are employed to answer questions in that forum... top notch service imo

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

mine is pretty badass to be honest, it is just my ram that is holding me back :(

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

looks like dfi-street is down. :(

Cheers fathazza, I understand that its regarded as the best 'clockers board, and i havent heard of any major problems with it. Have you experianced any quirks with it? Is it in any way flaky like the old socket A lanparty b was? I know my ram will hold me back for a while ... not sure if ill be getting new ram at the same time as Motherboard, CPU and GPU, i think money will be a little sparce after those 3 items so the overclocking will have to wait for a while i expect :(

5. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

yea dfi-street is down atm, should be back up soon i hope :)

6. fathazza

iirc it [H] did some stability tests on some of the nf4 boards and the dfi didnt fare so well after 24-48 hrs. But i dont leave my comp on overnight so that isnt a problem for me. And when i do use it it is rock stable. I have had one bsod but im pretty sure that is cos my gfx overheated cos i clocked it too high :(

It is certainly regarded as the best board for clockers, and the stupid amount of options (especially ram settings) had me a bit confused to start with ;)

As an overclockers board it is the best choice. If stability is your number one concern id plump for the MSI

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

From reading about, the DFI is the choice for overclockers.
    It does have a few quirks though, however this appears to be due to people fiddling with the oodles of bios settings, messing things up and not knowing how to recover things.

8. fathazza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just to give you an idea of the plentiful bios options for oc'ing

9. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

Mines great. Turned into a bit of a mare setting it up though, it didnt like some of the auto settings for the RAM and kept crashing during XP install, so i had to work my way through. (Booting straight into Memtest was handy though) It also sometimes froze up at POST, but updating the bios sorted it out. Solid as a rock since.

10. fathazza

yeah most people have issues with the earlier bioses but getting it up to 310 usually solves that little hiccup

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Planning on picking myself up one of these when I grab my Venice core. I haven't heard anything bad about them myself, and they are undoubtedly the best clocking boards. Just looking at hazza's pics, the BIOS look delicious too ;)

12. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Great! thanks guys, thats just the kind of news i expected to be honest.... since they are alot cheaper than when i first looked ill pick one of these up soon :thumb:

And yea that BIOS looks like fun :D

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:D great board no problems :dremel:

14. olv

olv he's so bright

omg at the bios...

15. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Ok
    In another thread I just posted I too have problems with memory and the SLI-D version (not DR)

I have OCZ PC4800 platinum and when putting DIMMS into slots 2 & 4 just reboots itself - any ideas?

16. fathazza

what bios version are you using?

17. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

To be honest I dont know... DFI blokes over at DFI Street have told me to upgrade to 3.1 irrespective so I'll do that tonight (hopefully!) - It fixes some faults with Venice cores (which apparently includes San Deigo cores too)

Also downloaded memtest86 to help check it out so after tonight I'll be laughing or crying!

Stu
    PS Read "dont know" - for "cant find it" :blush: all I see is "Pheonix Bios Ver6.00AG"

18. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Just flashed to 3.10 Bios... no go :waah:

So open to any ideas now - DFI street has some ideas. My DFI street thread is suggesting to i follow the instructions here, but I cant quite match some of his descriptions to what I see in the bios....

Just how much damage can I do by changing these voltages?

Sorry - I don't really want to hijack this thread :blush: - Is fivecheebs sorted?

*edit*
    Well at work now and going to try and find some time to scan some threads. I'm just praying its not the PSU ...as some people seem to have gone up to OCZ 5000 on these boards!

19. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

haha! ... thanks for the thought, but yea im done here other than keeping an eye on it to see how your story pans out It seems there are a few quirks but it also seems that when you have those ironed out its stable.

Carry on mate :thumb: good luck.

20. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

i have this board and it runns great, oced more than 200mhz and runs nice. The only problem i have is the dimm LED will not go off, is there a problem with the ram that alows it to run just fine?