1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DHL Customs Charges "Admin Fee" Strangeness

Discussion in 'General' started by Speed, 6 Aug 2015.

1. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Hi Guys,

So I ordered some Blu-rays from the Canadian Amazon store, you can't get them in the UK and of course I get stung for customs fees. Not something I mind too much, I got a voice mail about it and I found it very odd that it was exactly £13. So it seems that the DHL admin fee is calculated very strangely and I wondered if anyone else has any experience with DHL custom fees or any ideas on what is going on here.

I contacted them on Live chat to get a breakdown of the charges and this is what:

VAT: £5.69
    Admin Fee: £7.31
    Total: £13.00

The value of the items was £28.45, the VAT @ 20% therefore makes £5.69 correct. The admin fee on the other hand however seems to just be pulled out of the air, it doesn't seem to be a % of the value and I find it very hard to see it being a fixed fee, even a fee + VAT doesn't line up.

So what is going on here? It is like they've added the exact amount to round it to £13 to make it look less?! :worried:

Mark

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/customs_support/duties_taxes.html

Looks like a rounding down.

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Ahh, nice spot, thanks. :)