1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 director defends always-online DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2011.

1. cheetopet

cheetopet What's a Dremel?

His attitude bothers me far more than the drm. Does he realize that making people unhappy creates bad press and hurts sales? Bad PR drone, no cookie.

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

http://www.grimdawn.com/

It's a spiritual successor to Titan Quest (made by the same guys) - except these chaps are doing it *without* a publisher....surviving, so far, only on contributions.

Check out the forums http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/ to see how the devs are actually asking their customers for feedback on their ideas. It's a fantastic development model and, if it's half as good as Titan Quest, I'll be very happy.

Fizzban likes this.
  3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Blizz/acti seem to be forgetting a very important part of gaming. Choice.

We aren't blind, we can see quite clearly in the menu screen if there is an online or offline option. If people choose to play offline and miss out the trading and interaction, then that's their choice. They seem to be limiting us simply because the only opinion they care for, is their own.

And it will affect sales. I always planned to pre-order this, and now I won't be. I'll play it when it's cheap and they don't make any money off the sale.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Exactly. +1

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Get bent Blizzard. You won't get a dime of mine again.

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Same +2 ... and thanks for the link. I'll give it a look. Very interesting approach

EDIT : My gosh, gave it a quick look ..... seams very nom-nom-nomable

7. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

Any idea what kind of bandwidth this will take. Pretty much every service provider is capped in the states and throttled depending on traffic. There is only so much you can shove through the pipe and if the client is run on a server and your either remote or SSH into it to make it work what is the cost up and down to have a good experience?

Seems like an important detail. Still perplexes me how a single-player game needs to be played online. I rarely played 2 online and those few instances were in private games with people I know not randoms. Way to many good games coming out this year to make this a priority.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

EDIT: Ok so my Africa comment was definitely out of line, I'm sorry. I got out of hand and that stuff has no place on here.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2011
    walle likes this.
  9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Wow. What a great job you've just done of convincing everyone of what a selfish, arrogant racist arsehole you are! Congratulations! I'm actually quite impressed.

10. GuilleAcoustic

Why leaving us the choice to play off-line but forcing us to be on if it is a online game only ?
    They'd better make it online only, and if you want to play alone then you create a private game for yourself.

With the unlimited internet subscribtion going to dispear, you will just end up wasting your precious quota for nothing.p

11. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

It's the thought of running into people like you in Diablo 3 that makes the best argument for an offline mode.

A+ job on being an inconsiderate idiot.
    Kinda annoyed "African" signing off.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Well said, nothing to add

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Excellent first post, pretty much says all that needs to be said. :thumb:

14. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Well I've been waiting for this ever since Diablo 2 but don't have internet access for gaming 3 weeks out of 4 and after SC2 which I did buy (couldn't use it for 6 weeks) I won't be buying Diablo 3 or any other Blizzard title, more than that given the FU attitude displayed by Blizzard I shall be playing Diablo 3 I'm sure there will be a pirated copy the day it comes out!

15. GuilleAcoustic

and probably before it comes out :hehe:.

I'm wondering what will people like student or tenagers whose parents to not see the point having internet at home (like I was) say. Seriously, Diablo is not a multi-player game. It's much more hard and interesting to play it alone. You really had to think when playing a Necro or assassin alone in D2. In 2 player private battle.net it was much more easier ... and far less interesting.

I won't pirate it ... I will just not play it at all.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Grim Dawn looks fantastic.

As for D3, well I'm thoroughly disappointed. I don't care too much about the multiplayer experience. It was always about the fantastic single player integration. And the LANs.

17. GuilleAcoustic

No more LAN now :waah::waah:. Me think I'll play Icewind dale and Baldur's gate 2 again to forget about D3

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You cannot, or should not, compare this kind of game with an MMO. They are NOT the same. Not even close.

And Africans don't all live in mud-huts in the sahara you ****ing idiot!

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Haha. Yes! In fact, I've been off work sick this week and started playing Baldur's Gate 2 again to kill the time. I've just been recruited by Renal Bloodscalp to spy on the other thieves guild! The quests are mounting up....which one to do first?!?! Hehe.

Amazing game.

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

It could make my computer blow up, I still gonna buy it anyways!
    Hell, IT IS DIABLO STILL!...

I hope...

Tags: Add Tags