1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Diablo 3 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 May 2012.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That is very true, I couldn't disagree with you there, probably why I took it to be an RPG. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing it, just saying nothing about it appeals to me for some reason. TBH I've not even read anything about Torchlight.

As for growing up, don't ever do that. Not sure what that even means anyway, it just implies that you shouldn't have fun, we should all have fun. :D

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'd argue it would be incorrect to state there's nothing of an RPG in D3. A huge portion of the game is still about items, skills, stats, classes, customised load-outs, and levelling up. If these things were present in another genre, they'd be referred to as "RPG elements".

The hack'n'slash genre certainly is generally classified as an RPG because they usually have all of the above elements. I think Joe's comment about this being a hack'n'slash distilled to almost casual levels probably tells you what you need to know about how much of a true RPG it is.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Jeez, I remember playing Nox! Ages ago, but was a good simple game:)
    BArd's Tale too - I couldn't make myselft to play it all through for a lot time, but eventually picked it up again and finished - it was a good fun:)

4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Is there a different version of Bard's Tale? I thought it was a party-based first person job, at least the one I played was. The oldest thing I can think of in a Diablo style would be Faery Tale Adventure. Don't remember much about it though. Diablo was the original but it was the best of it's type, which is an approach Blizzard have always taken and done well with.

5. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Torchlight 2 is a very pretty game, judging by the screenshots.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Even saying that I love Torchlight I should add that it only comes out to being some 30 hours played. For a singleplayer game that's amazing for me. But in the end it is just a dungeon crawler, and it does get repetitive.

And that's why I'm skeptical of Diablo 3. There's a good chance it will end up just the same: really enjoyable for awhile and good for 30-40 hours. Torchlight 2 will be the same. The problem is where does Diablo 3 justify the $45 premium over TL2? For how similar the two games will be I just can't find a reason to pay so much more.

And now I've heard about Path of Exile which is going to be free to play just to throw a spanner into the works. If it's actually decent even TL2 will have a run for its money!

7. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Nothing is unhackable. I say this, not as a hacker (wouldn't know where to start & wouldn't really want to) but tie has shown that anything can be hacked in some form eventually.
    Personally the always online feels like a cheap fix to me. Sure, it;ll disuade a lot of conmen & gold diggers. But not all of them. The result of this new method will just be that it's the RMAH that ruins the game instead of item dupes: There'll still be item farmers who play solely for loot & they'll sell it all on the RMAH, en masse, devaluing everything & meaning that eventually nobody will be able to find anything truly rare & exciting because it'll all be available on the RMAH for a few £'s. And before we even reach that point there'll be Dafty McMoneybags buying up the best of everything of the auction house in a pay-to-win spree & souring the game for everyone they play with.
    I have no alternative & perfect solution. All I'm saying is that the always online requirement seems like a false economy; alienating a lot of players (or potential players) in order to fix something that's just going to find a way of breaking again fairly quickly anyway.

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Torch light is a good game.
    But Diablo have a atmosfere that no other game could achieve. It's dark and imersive. Torch light no.

And it is interesting that more than 90% of the pots here are NOT talking about the game. Looks like those dabates of PCs and MACs... They never get anywhere.

Anyways, I love D3 because it is STILL DIABLO! Not some subversion like what bethesda did with Fallout 3 (spits on the floor). And Syndicate too.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I like the game but a few issues I have is

1) the DAMN ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION ~_~ if my internet starts to lag or loose connection it plays havoc on my single player and is freaking annoying as ****.

2) There is no Scrolls, come on how can you not have scrolls that is classic Diablo

3) It plays and feels more like Torchlight then a Diablo game.

But this a side I am enjoying the game :)

10. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Seems to me that Bit Tech rushed to get this review out. Given the D3 log in / server issues, how could they complete a decent review two days after the release? Praise or slate, but at least let some time elapse to form your ideas. Some reviewing sites, like IGN, are taking their time.

This rush job of a review starts exactly like that: A rush job. To start the review with some kind of strange rant against Blizzard games, including an odd comment about the most successful mmo in the history of mmos, dear me. Awful reviewing style.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Considering the Torchlight team are almost all ex-Blizzard, it makes sense. ;)

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have to agree .... and another thing .... damn I LOVE that sound track !! Diablo always had a great background music. Plays it with headphones, not with speakers, turns the light off.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Not bothering with this. I enjoyed what I got to play with my guest pass, but the servers are down half the time I want to play. Online always is the dumbest thing I've ever experienced.

Already put in my preorder for a Torchlight 2 four pack and my friends have been having a lot of fun with the beta.

Sounds more like D3 than torchlight to me.

"gear sets that don't match" - Dude you didn't even play the game, shutup.

14. LukeyFella

LukeyFella What's a Dremel?

Have the game and agree completely with this review. It's a good game- but nothing special. Let down by graphics and lack of customisation. I can't understand why blizzard would intentionally cripple the game like this... Unless they are planning to port to consoles... But then again- Skyrim didn't need to cut corners like this!

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Has anyone on Bit that plays Diablo III suffered from someone pinching their gold/items? The internet is awash with it (RPS/Eurogamer/Diablo forums)...

16. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Nope, not stupid enough to click a random link posted in a stream.
    Unless it has happened to me personally I would find it very hard to believe that these people hadn't clicked a link or shared their password with a friend.

Working in an IT support environment I have a very sceptical view of what users tell me.

17. Riffler

Riffler What's a Dremel?

I really don't get the Torchlight love. The difference between Diablo and TL is essentially the difference between deciding to do a few things really well and lots of things really quite badly.

TL has horribly cartoonish graphics, cutesy pets, skill trees that make no sense and gear with far too many stats on it. The development team just threw everything they could think of in whether it fit or not. Like a badly edited novel, the lack of clear leadership or vision shows.

Diablo 3 is honed. Those comparing it with Diablo 2 should remember that what they're actually comparing it with is Diablo 2 LOD - probably the biggest and best expansion ever. I like Diablo 3 but won't go further than that until I see what kind of expansion or DLC is made available and on what basis.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Totally agree. To be honest, I wanted to give it a try. At the begining I found it worse than D2 LOD, but I keep playing it and it's really a nice game. D2 had the same effect on me when it came out, but it became better and better with each update ... and LOD was the cherry on the top :).

Edit : At the begining, D3 seams to have less abilities than on D2 ... but it's not the case. On D2 you had lots of abilities, but more than 50% of them were never used (only 1point to unlock the next one). You can't add points to your characters stats yourself, but items adds far more on D3 than on D2 (eg : +8 in strength while in D3 you can find itemwith +50 in strength). So your monk can with more STR based or more DEX based depending on which items you have.

This is a different approach but the result is the same.

19. LukeyFella

LukeyFella What's a Dremel?

Spot on Joe. A far more objective review than that ridiculous fanboy-rant on IGN.

20. sofalover

sofalover What's a Dremel?

T2 > D3

Tags: Add Tags