1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnosis ideas? Got the old 'random restart'. Life sucks

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by konsta, 15 Mar 2008.

1. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

So, here's the deal.

I'm getting apparently random restarts. They happen regardless of the apparent load on the system, and at a frequency of about every 4 hours - although I might go for a day or two if I'm lucky.

The nature of the restart is a complete instant off, followed by a reboot. There is no attempt at a bluescreen; the computer just dies. This is the case even with 'automatic restart' disabled.

Quite often the restarts happen in direct response to an event such as clicking a button, or once, inserting a flash drive. The button click can be very minor - like minimising a window. At least twice it has just gone down when I've been out of the room though.

I don't know if it is related or not, but the system has never been 100% reliable at booting; about 10% of the time, the boot will fail just as the screen goes black before Vista's glowing orb appears. This has been the case for months, whereas the random restarts seem more recent.

No component has ever been overclocked, although the BIOS doesn't detect the correct speed for the ram, so I have set that manually.

Vista 64
    E6600
    4gb geil 6400 4-4-4-12
    Tagan 480W - 3 years old
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    BFG 8800 GTS 320MB OC

Any bright ideas much appreciated.

2. johnmalc

johnmalc That shouldn't happen....

I'd run memtest86 anyway, but sounds like a slowly failing PSU to me. Got another you can try?

3. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

or it could be under and over power from the outlet.

4. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Last night I had a weird turn with it - it died twice in 5 minutes, and then refused to get more than 10-15 seconds into POST until I gave it a few minutes to rest. Whilst that was going on, I pulled out three of the DIMMS and the soundcard for good measure, and it still didn't help.

5. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Carefully look over all the RAM for blown off SMD capacitors. Sometimes memory sticks loose a few on either side and it makes the computer restart at random.

6. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

If you go into your system properties (under XP), under advanced and then startup and recovery and uncheck automatically restart (I think thats where it is)

Then if you get a random restart then it should display the BSOD rather then restarting straight away.

I had a very similar problem to yourself and mine was a faulty stick of RAM, but Memtesting wasn't always showing faulty sticks for some reason (I swapped them and haven't had a restart since)

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

:thumb:

8. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

Apologies for being a retard ... I am very ill right now :D

9. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm in the process of trialing different sticks of ram to try and spot what's wrong. No definitive answer yet.

Does anyone know if this sort of behaviour could be caused by a dodgy motherboard?

10. johnmalc

johnmalc That shouldn't happen....

Yes, it could be mobo, but that kind of fault is so hard to trace that substitution is the only answer. My bet is still PSU, have you tried another one????

11. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

I'm RMAing one that we have lying around the flat. Will probably take a week or so though, frustratingly.

12. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

Bit the bullet and bought myself a Corsair HX 520...so far so good, think i've cracked it!