1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Did I get screwed with my purchase of an overclocked i7-3770k with its high temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newocer, 25 May 2012.

1. newocer

newocer What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone here at Bit-tech...
    Totally new to the community of overclockers, and decided on recently purchasing an overclocked computer from a major seller. I won't say the name for now, but let's just say I paid a lot of money. Every time I run a LinX test with memory set to All, the cpu temps reach 90-91 degrees Celsius after only about 5-8 minutes of running the test. After about 10 minutes, I stop LinX in fear of putting too much heat on the processor.

My concern is I paid over $2k for this system and these were the default case and cooling (listed below) with the default overclocked speed. Is this normal or negligence? I feel that the processor should be running much cooler under any stress test ... and should only reach 90 degrees after running at least 10 cycles... not just after 1 cycle and a few minutes. I am aware Ivy bridge is known to run hotter than the likes of Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E, but this just doesn't seem right.

My concern is over time with accumulation of dust (I still will clean it every few months) and gradual wear that this computer is going to get even hotter and the processor's life won't be long. As of today, I do a lot of heavy high definition video editing and video games.

The system is:

i7 3770k - overclocked to 4.5ghz
    case: Cooler Master 942 HAF X
    cpu cooling: 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (CORSAIR H80)
    motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    idle temps: 30-40 degrees celsius

I cropped the images accordingly to just show the results for each test:
    Test #1: http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6199/snap1sd.png
    Test #2: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2073/temps4.png

Remember guys... I know nothing about overclocking, hence why I of come here for the best advice I hopefully can get.

Thank you for the help!!!

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Sounds about right the 3770K does run quite hot once it's got a decent over clock on it.

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Jeff is right your setup is fine its just the ivybridge CPUs once overclocked get extremely hot especially when you compare it to the equivalent Sandybridge CPUs

4. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Heya, any idea what the ambient temp is when you're running these tests? Just as an indication of how far above norm it is...

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Didn't Intel switch to a cheaper TIM beneath the heatspreader for Ivy Bridge?

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

What is the ambient temperature like during testing?

If it is quite warm then I think those temps are about right. You could lower the clock and voltage slightly.. Perhaps 4.3 with appropriate voltage adjustment will keep you in the 80s

There are plenty of guides or people on here that can help you make that adjustment. Or RMA not fit for purpose and go for a SB system..

8. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

I think the general rule with Ivy Bridge is that the thermals are relatively manageable until you reach the 4.2-4.4 GHz threshold (depending on the quality of your procesor). After this, the temperatures seem to quickly rise.

Here is a link to an article on the subject, obviously the overclocking section will be more pertinent than the undervolting bit:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

9. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

WOW you paid 2k :jawdrop: whats the rest of your system spec ?

10. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

With that cooler you should be looking at temps of around high 70s when stressing, what fan setting have you got the h80 on? And how is the treat odd you cooling ie case fans and the like?

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not with that voltage you won't be looking at high 70s stressing, what he is getting is about right with the high ambient temps we have right now due to weather.

Its worth mentioning that it won't go into meltdown, when trying to get 5ghz stable on mine it gets near 100degC and the throttles back to 3.5Ghz for a bit to get temp down before ramping back up.

They have probably chosen that voltage as the quickest way to get a stable system without weeks of testing, you could attempt to refine it, knock the voltage down and do your own stress testing for stability.

Save the OC'ed setting in the BIOS and have a fiddlle, you might find you can run sub 1.2v for 4.5 which will drop your temps.

The way I'd probably do it which is easy if you are not afraid of the odd crash is to fire up in windows, load up some stress testing software, and knock down the voltage periodically with windows software (ASUS TurboEvo is great for this) by 0.01v until either it blue screens or software crashes and then set the voltage a bit higher than the point of the crash you have found in the BIOS, then you can try fully testing it.

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

13. echo three

Also, they may well over volt it for stability, I've had one at 1.17 on 4.3 and I saw a to drop of 10 degrees from 79 ish to just under 70 when stressing, ambient temps and case airflow can have a knock on effect,

14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It is expensive for the parts listed. Hopefully he has 2 x 6xx or 79xx ...

edit: If not, definitely send it back for a refund and build your own! For £2000 you can build something really powerful

Must read op better

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

When you buy prebulit you pay more, don't bash the guy for it some people don't have the time or knowledge to do it all.

2K is not a bad price from off the shelf if it has highend parts, you only have to look at Scan/overclockers to see that.

16. echo three

Also note its 2000 dollars, not pound Sterling,

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Ohhhh ok, what else did you get for that money?

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The cooler and fans "and the like" is irrelevant. Ivy Bridge simply can't pass the heat effectively from the cores to IHS and to cooler. He is having ~90C with i7-3770K at 4.5GHz and H80, i had 88C with i5-3570K at 4.6GHz and Prolimatech Mega Shadow Noctua NH-L12.

What he can do is try to lower the voltage by a bit, of course only if it is stable. Lowering the voltage will drop his temps. Or if possible, lower the frequency as well, it is unfortunate but it is better than the extreme temps.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

He should be able to lower the voltage as mentioned which will help, I run the volts the OP is running for my 24/7 @ 4.7 but I don't stress about it hitting 90s in stress tests, which it does.

When gaming its often @ 50-70 with that speed and volts, just for interest I wondered what mine would need for 4.5Ghz and it looks like 1.17v in the BIOS for 1.2v reported by the likes of CPUZ this drops loads temps by 20degrees to ~70-73, so something along those lines will achieve what he wants with no impact to clockspeed, course he will need to do a bit of testing work.

Or he can just leave it alone as it is fine :)

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Hotness. Heat. Ivy.

You're at 4.5ghz right? 92c peak? That's actually pretty good for ivy on 4.5ghz. From what we now know, these processors can't remove the heat as well as previous gen even if they use solder for the heatspreader rather than the thermal paste the review samples were using. When you overclock these processors the heat builds up even more with increased voltage and it can spiral out of control so voltage raising results in much greater temp climb.

Your temps look normal to me for that CPU and 4.5ghz is a good overclock on that CPU.