1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Did Something Launch Today?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I do laugh at people in this thread, who are showing self-elitism, over people they believe are being elitist. It's pot calling Kettle Black.

Because people were queueing for an iPad they are pathetic human beings, yet I bet if it was another product you wouldn't give a crap.

2. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I beg to differ...

3. Canon

Canon Reformed

If I saw hundreds of people lining up for a new flavour of ice cream I wouldn't stop at calling them pathetic, I would write a letter of warning to the PM & Deputy PM.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I was in Kingston today trying to get an iPod, hmmm saw the queues for the iPad 2, was just crazy. People were queuing since 2pm....

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Come to where I live. There's a an ice cream place called 'Diddy Reise' and there's ALWAYS a queue that's 25-50 people long. Probably goes up to a hundred on some days.

6. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i disagree.

i think people who squander away precious minutes of existence standing in line for just about anything are foolish.

nothing is worth not waiting a week for the hype to die down and getting it without standing, limp-jawed, arranged like cattle headed for the meat grinder.

my personal disdain for most apple products comes from the fact that there are nearly identical products to everything apple makes available at half the cost with thrice the functionality (ie: non-proprietary EVERYTHING).

7. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

A word of warning. Avoid theme parks, you may just keel over from all the "pathetic" people queuing up for a ride that will only last a couple of minutes.

In regards to queuing for an idevice though, it's often not as bad an idea as you think. Since you get an initial stock and then drips all over the place.
    For the iPhone I had the option of queuing up for a couple of hours and buying one before heading off to work, or I could have spent the next few weeks going round the shops on the off chance that they would have stock.

I don't quite understand a lot of the iPad hate here either. I got one after my net book died, and I'm finding it far better thanks to The battery life, form factor and always on.

8. Azh_fx

Azh_fx sup dawg?

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

ZZZzzzZZzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZzzzzZzzzZZZ

I wish they made a new tax on ipads in the budget.
    With all these rich people with nothing else to spent their money on besides apple products, we could reform the NHS easily with the income from the iTAX

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Wow, Bit Tech has started trolling now?

Disgraceful. You call yourselves a tech site? This is just childish.

11. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

This reaction to anything Apple is not unique to here. If the guys took two minutes out from venting their Apple-angst and actually thought about what they were writing then they'd realise as pieface [corrected] says, they're being elitist, not the Apple consumers, unsurprisingly. Nor the 3DS consumers who happened to be doing exactly the same for their new gadget.

But then, the same style of backlash is vented on the 3DS threads and 3D TV threads, ATi, Nvidia, Intel, AMD, BMW, Conservatives, Labour, war mongers, pacifists ...

It's a football supporters mentality. "Must pick a team". In the meantime we're all getting on with life and enjoying new tech.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I don't know why there's so much hatred against those that want to buy a new gadget. Yeah Apple's gear isn't perfect and neither is Apple the company, but then name one that is!

I'm getting a 64GB model as soon as I can get my hands on one as I can put it to good use with my other gadgets and gear, but I'm certainly not going to queue for hours to get one.

It's only a gadget after all.

Edit: Well I've placed my order direct with Apple for mine.

Can't be done with the whole "No you're not allowed to pre-order it, or reserve it - we want queues god-damn-it! Bug mutha freaking queues for weeks upon weeks" approach to early retail.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2011
  13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I think it's unfair to say we're trolling the iPad 2. We've been pretty damn busy this week with the GTX 590 launch and re-running over 700 benchmarks for that. Apple never send us review samples, and the blog is pretty simple - Apple Ipad 2 launch; discuss.

You're putting words into our mouths when we haven't even spoken.

Speaking personally, I see the iPad as the ultimate luxury gadget, insofar as serves little "useful" purpose for a very high price. It's a gadget to have, an epitome of consumerism. You can do everything it does better, elsewhere. It just happens to bundle all those things up in a neat and undeniably sexy looking little package.

Because of this, it divides opinion very heavily. Some will see the benefits, and others won,t. Which is why we're discussing it. Or we were until the side picking got a bit too fervent. Let's just try to calm things down a bit eh?

Cateye likes this.
  14. glasgood

glasgood What's a Dremel?

Loss of freedom!

Yes it looks very good and is innovative, but handing Apple lots cash for their severely restricted IPAD does not make sense. When I say LIMITED, you are limited by what Apple approves on the App store for that device. Limited by the fixed amount of storage on the device. LIMITED to backing up data with ITUNES. Of course you can jailbreak the device, but why should you have to, vote with your wallet... until it has USB, SD card slot and Apple review their totalitarian stance with regards to iOS and the App store. Effectively buying into this device is paying for the loss of freedom, only we should choose how it is used and what is installed and what changes we want made NOT APPLE.

15. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

I heard word that there were queues in Livingston PC World for this from about 1pm onwards yesterday, didn't even get released til 5 as far as I know, some people need a life... I personally was far more excited by GTX 590 and Crysis 2.. (which turns out to be a bit boring so far imho)

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Still 1024x768, still no sale. EGA is 20-odd years old already! The current influx of Tegra-2 Andriod tablets are mostly 1280x768 at least, but I'd still prefer higher for vaguely legible graphs and charts without having to zoom & pan all the time.

17. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

If it was less than £200 and ran Android I might be interested. On behalf of my technophobe mother-in-law.

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

The amazing thing about all this is that the power of the Apple marketing is that everyone here knows about what these are, and already has a strong opinion about what it is.

Love them or hate them they're one hell of a company.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I don't, couldn't give a toss.

I'd happily have one if I was given one or won one but I wouldn't buy one.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

meh.

The only Apple product I have is a 2nd-hand ipod classic so I can put my collection of Dr Who radio plays in my car (Vauxhall Insignia with satnav - audio system has USB port & speaks apple).

Tags: Add Tags