1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Diesel Emissions Claims

Discussion in 'General' started by Goatee, 27 May 2021.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

It seems that the PPI vultures have moved over to the Diesel Gate cause.

Anyone looked into this and got any advice as to which blood sucking group to align to?

I brought a Vauxhall Mokka in 2017 (which I still own) so would be eligible as it looks like Vauxhall was also up to some skulduggery.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I keep hearing radio ads for this too. But I got rid of my last diesel (a 2009 Vauxhall Insignia SRi) in 2013.

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

One of the claims groups criteria is:

"if you owned or leased a diesel vehicle between 2007 and 2020"

So even historic ownership is included.

I did some more research while on a call in terms of no win, no fee's:

mydieselclaim.com - maximum of 50% inclusive of VAT, although the actual fee may be as low as 20%
    leighday.co.uk - will deduct up to 35% (inclusive of VAT)
    emissionsclaim.co.uk - If your claim is against Mercedes you will pay us 40% of your damages, plus VAT. For ALL other car companies that you claim against, you will pay us 35% of your damages (VAT inclusive).
    claimexperts.co.uk - we will charge you 25%+VAT of your damages
    slatergordon.co.uk - Not openly displayed

Last edited: 27 May 2021
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ooh a rebate on my VW Passat, Audi A3 and my Tiguan

Modern life - everything you buy is scalped, but you can claim foul play years later.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBF there was massive foul play which has lead to the death of hundreds of thousands in this country over the last decade...

wyx087 likes this.
  6. David

It was meant as a joke, mate

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

AFAIK no civil claims against any manufacturer have ever been paid out (or maybe even cases brought against?) - these lot aren't even chasing ambulances at this point, they're just fishing for them.

trigger and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Contributed to, not lead to.
    There are 1 million and 1 other causes of air pollution which all contributed to early deaths due

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I have one who keep calling me about my VW I bought post dieselgate, despite it having had the update before I bought it they seem adamant I can claim. Their not the sharpest tools in the shed

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I get a feeling signing up will get my name and details into a long list of spammer........

I own a Skoda Octavia 3, manufactured around when Dieselgate broke the news but I've done the research and my engine does not have the cheat device nor had been subjected to any fix. Even though I know it hasn't got a proven cheating device, yet these ambulance chasers still include me as eligible.

What ICE manufacturers did was inexcusable and should be held accountable, but at the same time, it shouldn't be car owners getting compensated, after all, we chose to buy these vehicles knowing they pollute. End of the day, we buy them because they still made the most financial sense on an individual level (aka, we are selfish). I think a complete reform is needed to bring balance to the previously unaccounted environmental damages, some sort of tax to all carbon emissions. Then, free market capitalism will sort itself out.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think NO2 from diesel cars is regarded as the main one in developed nations cities. Which is doubly insulting because of the government subsidies for these cars!

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

ha ha funny joke

-_-

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You must be fun at parties.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Don't forget the vans, buses and lorries in cities. Also, diesel cars that meet Euro 6D emissions limits are no dirtier than petrol engines, added to which, the down-sizing of petrol engines and, consequent use of high pressure turbocharging, leads to raised combustion temperatures which leads to higher NoX emissions from modern petrol cars.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Very much, I just don't like 'jokes' about huge numbers of deaths.
    The problem is these cars don't pass those standards when they were sold as meeting them. THe latter part just reinforces the needs for tighter legislation on this. 'We kill people because everyone else does' isn't a valid arguement...

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My finger in the air guess would be that particulates from tyres & brakes are just as bad if not worse.

You've got to think of the planet https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715

17. David

And where, exactly, did I make a joke about huge numbers of deaths?

18. wyx087

Which number is bigger? X + Y or X?

X being the particulates from tyres, brakes etc
    Y being the emissions from ICE.

There is no denying these are very bad for people's health and more importantly they are currently unregulated. But at the same time, we have a solution for completely removing an element of the overall emissions right now.......

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Indeed, but it's an exercise in madness just railing against ICE's.
    Not looking at the bigger picture is how we got to where we are diesel engines.

If we just concentrate on removing exhaust emissions we are doomed to make the same mistake, hell we are likely to compound it if everyone jumps onto the electric band wagon thinking it'll solve the problem as emissions will increase due to their weight.

That said, can someone lend me $75,000? I've just seen the new F150 lightning, and it ticks a hell of a lot of my boxes.

20. wyx087

Electric vehicle is only a small part of the solution for decarbonisation and I agree, it is not solution to complete removal of localised harmful particular emissions. However, one has to remember the bigger picture, which is production/consumption of renewables, and batteries inside EV's can help with this.

Though EV's does remove:
    - All NOx emissions
    - Neighbourhood vehicle noise
    - School gate engine idle emissions

There would not be too much added weight if people's mentality towards range of vehicle changes from needing unreasonable amounts to "good enough" is good enough. Combine with a focus on reliable charging at rest stops and maximising vehicle efficiency, where the a modest battery gives good enough range. This would be THE solution to adopt right now, just like hybrid was the solution back in early 2000's (not diesel). We simply can not longer wait for the next best thing.
    There simply isn't any solution as far as tyre particulates are concerned, if we are to continue current car ownership models.

One also has to remember current EV's generally weigh around just 10% more, this difference can be easily matched by someone opting for a bigger engine compact-SUV rather than a hatchback with entry level engine. So I don't believe these localised harmful emissions will increase if everyone switched to EV overnight and picked sensible vehicles.

The F150 EV is great as technology show-case and perhaps can be fully utilised by a small percentage of its users, but it's absurd for most people to be driving around with that much range and battery size (estimated to be 140+ kWh). Also, I think its starting price is $40k, slightly more expensive than comparable ICE F150 but with a significantly more useful front.