1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digi Cam Survey Here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snifta, 17 Dec 2003.

?

What Manufacturer Of DIGI Cam?

1. Kodak

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Sony

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Fuji

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. HP

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Canon

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Cyric

Cyric What's a Dremel?

Oh...of course. I was just commenting on the quality of fugi's old stuff, I figure their new stuff must be great.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

olympus isnt on the list
    otherwise i would pick olympus :p

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hmm.. then why install ANY software. You are aware, are you not, that Win XP will just treat any cam you plug into a USB port as a mass storage device?

Kodak cheap? My DCS 14n is many things.. . but cheap is not one

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I own a Canon Powershot S30. 3.2 megapixels with 3x optical zoom and 3.2x digital zoom. It is within your price range, $300-$400USD depending on where you look.
    Canon no longer makes it, which means it probably won't be at most electronics stores anymore. I don't think there is any paticular reason for discontinuing it, but I believe Canon replaced it with a camera of similar features, the A70.
    So far, it has proved to be a good mid-range camera. If your a pro (which noting by your price range, you are not), you'd want a better camera, but this is a great family camera or camera for someone who takes a lot of "memory shots" (pictures of vacations etc to remember by :)). I nice feature is it has a video mode which is usefull if you want to take a quick motion clip or something (I use it skiing). It uses CF cards and with a 256MB card you can store a few hundred high-quality pictures and a lot of video (it displays the amount of time in seconds that you can store with remaining memory, which is useful). I give it a 4.5/5 :thumb:

5. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

i have the sony cybershot p71 for about 2 years and have to say that i really love the thing :D but i have really wanted to get one of those canon cameras cause i have heard so much about them. but the sony is a nice cam xD

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

a) canon
    b) nikon (should be in poll)

they both make real cameras, and anyone who knows anything about cameras will confirm this...

7. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

id vote Nikon too... but its not hereeeeeeeeeee

8. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

I would do the same.

Although, I do question if it is supposed to be that hard to take a shot with no flash without a tripod. I've got a Coolpix 4300.

9. felix the cat

and sony is still on top....how?!?!?

sony couldnt make a lens if they tried, and their added features of their cameras going "click" when you take a picture seems a bit daft tbh.... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

10. coorz

coorz Miffed

Nikon Coolpix 5700. How could you not include Nikon, one of the few established authentic camera brands :blah: :lol:

11. felix the cat

que??

olympus make decent digital cameras...not the best, but decent and unlike sony they dont have a finger in every pie between here and the sun, hence they actually manage to make something that aint comlpete crap....

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

lol, olympus is hardly cheap
    they meake some great high-end comsumer cameras, cant say anything about the low end ones or the professional ones as ive not used any.
    an E20 is a fantastic camera and is hardly cheap at £1000

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The Carl Zeiss lens on my DSC-S70 would beg to differ.

14. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

yeah, you can turn that off..... not really that hard.....

15. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Sure, here's one I took at a LAN party at a National Guard base. The pics are huge and unaltered, so I'll just link to them. The server's a little slow too...

http://www.jacksongamingleague.com/gallery/albums/userpics/ngl2/IMG_1039.JPG

Here's an indoor shot, Very little light, no flash, and on manual so I could decreace the shutter time and get a little more light in.

http://www.jacksongamingleague.com/gallery/albums/userpics/lanwar/IMG_0992.JPG

Those should be a good indication of this cameras capabilities.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The poll needs a little updating, for instance there's Olympus and Konica-Minolta, as well as Panasonic.

17. kobaj

kobaj Banned

what no micro inovations

18. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I did some research on sony, kodak, olympas, hp, and one or two other brands. the price range was between 250 and 500 cdn$. the hp r707 being on top. I think the sony, or olympas was the most expensive on in the future shop flyier.

I quite like my hp camera. 5.1mp, 3x optical zoom (though 10x would be nicer) 8x digital, a little above avg image quality, adaptive lighting technology, etc.
    the only thing I don't like is that the battery takes around 8 hours to charge. unless of course you buy the cradle that costs another 110 cdn$ (but does come with an extra battery) batteries cost about 87 cdn$ last i checked (doesn't take normal AA, or AAA batteries)

and comparing the lowest resolution, and quality setting to my palm zire 71s built in camera (same resolutions, zire being on highest quality setting) the image is MUCH clearer, sharper, more colourful (well, colours are closer, and shadows are not as bad, kind of like real life)

The only other thing I don't like other than battery life is that I can't put other lenses on it. It is nice and small though. small enough to go into my pocket. And it also, of course has tripod mount on the bottum.

19. TMM

TMM Modder

I have an old 1.3mp olympus personally, but if i want to i can borrow my dads 6.3mp Canon 300D :naughty:

I've heard that it's best stay away from the companys that make film (e.g. kodak)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2004
  20. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

A canon. With a 640x480 resolution and a serial cable. Oh, the driver disk says designed for windows 95 on it as well :eyebrow:

Its old. But its free :D