1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide DigiMeter - LED System Activity Bar-Graph/Chaser - SOFTWARE v1.7

Discussion in 'Modding' started by acrimonious, 31 May 2004.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Looky at all those LEDs.

Sorry mobius, :worried: I got wrapped up in school, and kindof left it to the side. I'm working on a wee modding website so I'll put it up there aswell :D I got a nice long German test today (oh and physics but that's easy) but I'll get right to work after that. ;)

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

ok, i seriously want to make one of these, but i have windows XP and i cant find the version of the program to run it. can someone please point me in the direction of it? thanks.

i might be able to get one to work with winamp from casemodgod.com, but i need a copy of winamp 2, or is there a way go get it to run on winamp 5 which is what i have? please answer my question.

edit- i found a copy of winamp 2.9.5 and 2.9.1 but neither of them work, they both start to run and then fail.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2005
  3. mattthegamer463

another question, i want to use less resistors in mine, and scince all my leds are the same mA, could i just do this...

[​IMG]

also would this work if i used the chip in this picture?

also because im soldering 2 leds in parallel to each pin, making 16 leds in total, will that be too much current for the port to handle, or is the fact that the leds are in parallel make the current stay at the same level as 8 leds?

4. smoguzbenjamin

Each LED needs its own resistor because not all LEDs are identical. Therefore, with only one resistor, the thing goes funky and the LEDs aren't the same brightness. DOn't ask me exactly why because I don't know, but it's good practice to have one resistor per LED :)

5. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I was thinking about this just the other day... if you use all of the same led I suppose it would be ok. not sure how you would calculate the value though.

6. smoguzbenjamin

Well the thing is that even though the LED is from the same batch same manufacturer etc, there are still slight differences. What value aren't you sure of how to calculate? A resistor for a LED can be had using ohm's law. V=IR so manipulate that into R=V/I -> R = 5v/15mA = 5/0.015 = 333.3 ohms. I'm mot sure what the nearest standard value is, but anything in that area and you should be right as rain ;)

7. mattthegamer463

even if there are slight diferences your still forced to use the nearest resistor, so if the nearest resistor is the same it doesnt matter where you put it

8. Arjan

Arjan What's a Dremel?

But if a LED has a much lower resistant than another one, the most current will go through the LED with the fewest resistant. Too much current can damage the LED, so I think it's better not to use a shared resistor.

9. furious_drawer

furious_drawer What's a Dremel?

Great thing but when comes version for more LED-s. Keep up that good work :rock:

10. mattthegamer463

i dont think there can be one with more leds because there are only 8 data pins in a parallel port. maybe for some other port, but not a parallel.

11. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If you don't like all the resistors try a bussed network as shown in http://www.bourns.com/PDFs/4600X.pdf . The network has to be on the low side (near ground) of the diodes and the common bus pin connected to ground. For your application I would suggest 220 Ohm or 270 Ohm, at least 1/4W.

12. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

Any updates on software can seem to change settings without closing the app..

Nice mod though i like it!

13. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

unfortunately, I think Acrim has dropped or forgotten about the project. The only way I was able to change settings was by changing the program.... and unless someone else decides to pick up the project, I don't think thats going to change.

edit> smogus, sorry for pestering, but anything with that schematic?

14. slaphappy

slaphappy What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking about trying this mod out and was wondering how hard/easy it is, it looks pretty simple... Anyways, I've done a couple of small mods, like add a couple extra sets of left and right channel audio in jacks, and soon am about to try my hand at building a themed case. I am pretty new to modding, and as you can see, new to this forum... Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a similar mod, in which the LEDs pulsed but never turn completely off, except for when the pc is off that is... Thanx for any help/advice/etc. :thumb:

15. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 13 Apr 2005
  16. men4ce

men4ce What's a Dremel?

I have done this mod myself and its well easy also i'm doing electronics and electrical engineering at univeristy so i might be able to explain a few things, the reason you need resistors for each LED is because you have a seperate voltage source from the parallel port per LED if you were to bung one resistor after the LEDS whats happens when u have 3 LEDS on or all 8 its gonna go pete tong

I have some software that you might be interested in to to control it, i have a pattern control system which enable you todo have like night rider style displayed, and i have various plugins for winamp that work on XP and 5

Martin

17. smoguzbenjamin

You know I feel like a real arse for procrastinating for so long, but I had a theater production at school (I'm the sound techie if you're interested) and that has consumed all of my time. again. sorry :worried:

Anyway we put on a great show of saturday night fever, we rocked :rock:
    Workin on the schemmo, hang on for just a little longer :D

18. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

who will make an version of winamp equalizer sound meter guide to usb and software FREE to little me :D . My parralel port is fryed :wallbash: and my mobo does not have serial ports :wallbash: :wallbash:

19. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

we are working on a version that is hardware based, and can run off of anything that can plug into a standard audio jack (like your motherboard, or an ipod). I suppose it could handle as many channels as you would like to make, but I think it would cost around $3 per column of 10 leds.

So if you want to monitor a simple 5 channel analyzer, such as

treble
    treble mids
    mids
    mids base
    base

it would probably cost something like $15, and you could use up to 50 leds all dancing to the different areas of sound.

20. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

i'm having access to ALOT of diffrent led's and cheap also because my dad can get them at low price at his work :D so i want the 5 channels analyzer

Tags: